Author Topic: Mold caulking  (Read 1051 times)

Pyro

Mold caulking
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
Hello

I was wondering if you all might give me a hand before I start the search for and test a bunch of diffrent caulkings.

I was wondering which ones might be good for the non stick on the vinal ester and epoxys. Have to admit I havent gotten alot of fiberglass experiance in the past..

Also in the stator plans with this and pretty much what I have read here there has been nothing on the weight of fabrick weaves or thickness.

Any help on changing my wacky pass word would also be apreciated.

Thanks

Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:01:05 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Mold calking
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:18:10 AM »
Contact TomW about password.

He did mine in a few minutes.

Tnaks TomW

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:18:10 AM by jimjjnn »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »
bob, send your user name the password you want and a brief explanation of what you want to this email justme45110-temporary@yahoo.com from the original email address you signed up to the board with so i can be sure it is you and i will fix up your password for you.

ps. the email address i posted here is a temporary forward and will be turned off in 4-5 days.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:33:43 PM by kurt »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »
bob-

the company who makes "alex and alex plus painters caulk"  i think it's DAP.  but they make a caulk that is designed to caulk windows shut for the winter, then it easily peels off in the spring.  i'm unsure of it's reaction to polyester resins.  i'll bet you could use any good caulk and coat it with car wax and you'd be fine.  car wax seems to be a common release agent for stators.  in other words, it doesn't seem like the caulk it the issue, but a good mold release.  the best exterior caulk i know of is a tie between vulkem 116 and quad.  they are both sold at home depot.  either would be a super long lasting caulk for a mold that's used many times...  so long as you use a good release agent.  they're both polyurethane based so take a few to 7  days to cure.  

good luck!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:30:13 PM by birdhouse »