Author Topic: indirect evaporative cooling idea  (Read 1531 times)

ArtistEd

indirect evaporative cooling idea
« on: October 10, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
I live in a mobile home in Southern Calif, and my wife being disabled is home 24 hours and gets hot flashes that can roast a chicken when the temp gets over 72 degrees inside.  Let's just say it affects her attitude also.  Therefore, $600 electric bills this summer using air conditioning.  I need a solution that doesn't add much humidity.

So I was wondering about this:  Could I get a hundred feet of 3" corrugated drain pipe for the air and run it through a 6" corrugated drain pipe for running cooled evaporated water which would be pumped out of one end and gravity fed through the other end.  As for the air "tube", I would run one end into the home at one location and the other end at the opposite end of the home with a fan pulling the cooled air through the "tube".  Being corrugated, they have twice the surface area as a smooth hose, and I would snake them for added turbulence.  Let's say the water is cooled to 65 degrees, what could I expect in 100 degrees by recirculating  the air through the home with a 2000 cfm fan and 1500 square feet?  What if I buried the pipe 3-4 feet underground where the temp is 50-55 degrees?  A 3" tube at 100 feet holds 18.75 cubic feet of air.  I just don't know how to calculate from there.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ed

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:24:36 AM by (unknown) »