Author Topic: Magnet strength  (Read 1197 times)

ejl7007

Magnet strength
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:09 AM »
hey everyone, I just am a little bit curious.  I have a magnet that is grade n42 4"x1"x1"  the manufacturer claims that the pulling force of the mag is 210 lbs.  so i was wondering if I attached 16 mags on a steel rotor would that mean the combined pulling force of all the mags would be 210 x 16 = 3,360 lbs of pulling force?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:37:09 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Magnet strength
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
I don't know why anyone quotes pulling force, it is confusing and unless you are designing a lifting magnet it is useless.

I don't even know what they mean in this case. For a properly designed lifting magnet I would take it to mean the force needed to pull the assembly from a thick smooth steel plate.

For a single magnet I have no idea what form of magnetic circuit they are claiming this figure for. I would guess that it is the force needed to pull a single magnet off a thick smooth steel plate when it is stuck on with its active face on the disc.

The pulling force depends entirely where the flux goes when the magnet is in contact and changes in the magnetic circuit have dramatic effects. One thing is certain, this force relates to the case when the magnet is in contact with the plate. Any air gap reduces the force more or less as the inverse square so a 1mm gap would drop this force to a fraction of the no air gap case.

If you put your dual rotors together with no gap the force needed to separate them will be incredible, in fact they will smash themselves as they come close together and if they don't smash you won't separate them by pulling.

The force drops rapidly with increase in air gap and with a gap of 1" between them the force will be quite modest. I suspect at 2" gap you could separate them by hand ( don't try such things! )

For the usual rectangular magnets and 12 per disc as used in the 10ft machine when you are jacking the discs apart you can usually pull them apart when the gap gets to about 1". I have never measured such things but I guess 50lbs at this point.

You will have a stator between your magnets and I advise that you never try without one or some similar thickness of non magnetic material between them. If you jack them together with no stator you will probably reach a point where you bend the discs when the gap gets under 1/4".

Make sure that under no circumstances the discs come together and just as important make sure they never come into contact with thick steel plate. You need your wits about you when handling these things.

The normal operating forces are not large but with no air gap the things are deadly.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:18:23 AM by Flux »

imsmooth

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
If you google for pulling force calculator you can determine the pulling force for a particular grade and size of magnet towards an iron plate at a given distance.

As flux mentioned do not let these magnets get near each other.  They will jump and fly in the air towards each other, destroying themselves if you are lucky; they will chop off your fingers if you get in their path.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:40:02 PM by imsmooth »

zack wanambwa

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:45 AM »
imsmooth is right. 1st time I got my magnets I so amazed by their power,in the excitement I went straight to playing with them. Two minutes later two had destroyed each other.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:06:45 AM by zack wanambwa »