Author Topic: About to get otherpower 10 footer  (Read 1313 times)

Shane E

About to get otherpower 10 footer
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
I'm almost ready to buy the otherpower 10 foot turbine (HD, 48 volt). Originally I was going to build it myself because the Dan's did an awsome job explaining things in great detail in the book. But I lack some tools, skills and time so I figure get my first one from the pros. The whole thing about going off grid is quite a bit more involved than I thought it would be. I still need to decide on things like controller, dump, inverter etc. I'm considering the Xantrex XW or Outback equivalent but wow, quite pricey. For batteries I think I will go with 4 - 12 volt gels with 165 AH. I can get them for about $250 each.

Determined to get from overwhelmed to just regular old whelmed

Shane

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:23:49 PM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: About to get otherpower 10 footer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »
Good for you Shane!

The only thing I'd do different is use flooded batteries for my first set. They can usually take a lot more abuse than the gel types. I know I messed up my first batteries as part of the learning curve when my wife and I started living off grid and they were the flooded type. When you get your system working like a clock you can then switch over to gels. I'd just be afraid to risk such fine batteries before I knew for sure how things were gonna work.

I still use, 9 years later, the Sam's Club 6V flooded golf cart batteries at 220 AH. My current set is a little over 4 years old, still pretty strong, and they cost about $65 each. You're looking at 660 AH for $1,000. With the same $1,000 I can get a set of 14 of these GC batteries and have 1540 AH @ 12V.

Just one old man's opinion, and worth what you've paid to get it.

RS

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:03:13 PM by RogerAS »

Shane E

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
Thanks Roger,

I was just thinking that I could put gels in the house. FLAs would have to be outside in a box wouldn't they? I just worry about temperature. It can be as cold as -45 C here for weeks in a row during winter. Summer gets as warm as 35 C. No shortage of wind any time of year here on the Alberta prairie. Good advice though. I don't think we have Sam's in western Canada. Hopefully I will be able to find a deal like that somewhere else.

Shane

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:54:43 PM by Shane E »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »
I agree with Roger.  Go with flooded.

I know of a lot of flooded batteries in the house.

Some have vents to the outside.  Most don't (but they are not tightly enclosed or in a small area either).

Not saying it's the best idea in the world, just saying it's not uncommon.

Your location may help with recommendations for a battery supply.  Alberta is big!

G-

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:48:47 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

bj

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »
   Shane--Sounds like we aren't too far apart.  Doing the same 10 footer, although other projects have gotten in the way lately.  This winter.

Have some pretty good contacts on batteries, so if I can be of any help,   send me a E-mail.  Just include something about otherpower in the

subject line so I don't trash it by mistake.  Regardless, Good Luck.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:49:01 AM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.