Author Topic: rust problems with neos.  (Read 1425 times)

angus

rust problems with neos.
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »
Hi. (Oh all right! I'm an Aussie so.. G'Day).

A question for the "gurus" .

Rusting of the neos on the iron backing plate seems to be a problem.

What if the neos were ordered unplated (ie no nickle plating) and with bolt holes.

What if the rotor plates were pickled back to bare metal.

What if the neos were then bolted to the rotor plates and they were then sent to be HARD CHROMED - a process that is electrolytic and involves no heat.

Would this not solve the rust problem - or would the chrome plating affect the flux distribution? (hey Flux ).

Supplementary question 1.

Quite some time ago Oztules posted on the topic of his African Wind Power Project.

In this post were pictures of a skewed stator .

I would like more info on how to wind such a stator or on where they can be obtained . I like the looks of that machine.

Oztules if you are still around please say G'day .I too have my own sheet metal shop complete with brake press ,guillotine and tool room ,so you're a man after my own heart (or is that vise versa).

Supplementary question 2.

During the First World War  fighter planes (and even today model planes) had their wings made from Balsa wood and rice paper. Once the airfoil profile was set the whole thing was DOPED chemically (and legally) .This gave the wing structure great strength and rigidity and importantly they were very light. Could not the same process be used for turbine blades?

Regards and thanks,

Angus  (The older I get the better I was).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:15:42 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: rust problems with neos.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »
Rusting of neos is a problem in damp climates.

Unplated neo is pretty unstable. I am sure you could get it with the bolt holes if you wanted.

Chrome plating as far as I know is porous and in the good old days car parts were copper, nickel and then chrome plated to try to avoid rusting.

Also I don't believe unprotected neo will survive a plating bath, even the nickel supplied is done by a special process as far as I can find out.

I don't know how hard chrome compares with decorative chrome, it is normally used for hardness rather than protection, it is thicker and may be less porous but I can't see the magnets surviving the plating solutions.

No problem with the magnetic flux in any thickness you could apply.

If you wanted to try plating then I would at least start with the nickel coated magnets. I don't hold out much hope but many of the other proposed ideas don't really work either.

Finding stators for home build machines has always been a stumbling block, it's a little easier now with laser and water jet cutting but small quantities of magnetic steels are near impossible to buy and the whole thing will be very costly.

My advice, forget the slots and wind the coils on the outside of a motor core, You need a bit more magnet without the slots but you solve some other problems.

Winding a skewed core is much the same as winding a straight slot one. You can use pre formed coils or hand wind the turns into the slots ( or use a very expensive winding machine that will do one or the other of those options).

I would imagine balsa and dope would work for blades for a short time, I am sure something will tear them fairly quickly. You can build wooden formers and skin with glass epoxy or kevlar. Such things work very well if you can attach them to the root satisfactorily.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:37:44 AM by Flux »

imsmooth

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
I don't know how long this will last, but I painted my rotor with Marine Epoxy paint.  I used a few coats and I haven't seen any rusting for the last year.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:06:28 AM by imsmooth »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »

Sorry Angus, I spent 1/2 hour trying to post pictures etc for you, but to no avail. This software is busted. Tried html... but found the photo uploads didn't work anyway, so nothing to point to.

Go over to

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/FORUM1/default.asp

and post your questions you may have for me over there if you wish. At least it works.

I will be doing a story on my trial and tribulations with rusted neo's over there soon as well. Can't do it here. There is a recent update on chainsawing blades step by step so you can drive the thing when it's built too.... once again could not post it here.... a million pics.

..............oztules

Sad days here.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:31:34 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
"Quite some time ago Oztules posted on the topic of his African Wind Power Project.

In this post were pictures of a skewed stator "

Yes that was cool,also was his Homemade drum rotor i liked that one a lot .

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:41:14 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

angus

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »
Oztules . TY for the response ,I will go down to the back shed  and have a gander at what yer up to, Thanks to all the other responses as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:44:21 AM by angus »