Author Topic: Are N40SH Neomags decent  (Read 1482 times)

GLC

Are N40SH Neomags decent
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
Are 2"x2"x.5" N40SH decent magnets for making a generator? I didn't see how many pulling lbs they're rated at.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:34:12 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Are N40SH Neomags decent
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
When are we going to put this pulling power thing to rest? for anything other than lifting or holding the pulling power, force or anything else is meaningless.

The N40 tells you the grade and that with the dimensions gives all you need. N40 is fine. H is higher temperature grade and I suspect SH is even higher, if so then all to the good. The higher the grade number the better the magnet but there is little benefit in using the very high grades N48 and upwards unless you drop on them at a reasonable price. N40 /42 is a good all round grade, the old N35 is gradually going out of fashion as the manufacturing process improves but is still useful.

Unless the S means something very strange then they should be fine, the higher temperature grades are a better prospect if you live in a hot climate, the conventional grades are quite close to the limit on a hot day with lots of current flowing and a fair bit of demagnetising field present.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:26:03 PM by Flux »

GLC

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
"When are we going to put this pulling power thing to rest? for anything other than lifting or holding the pulling power, force or anything else is meaningless."

I thought the pulling power might have some relativety to the strength of what the magnet could create electricity wise. Rookie mistake. Now that I know it don't...

Thanks for your input. Now I know that N40 and N42 are both good as to what can be done as far as making a generator. I just wanted to make sure that N40SH 2"x2"x.05" was good enough to make a generator since most refference the N42 that I've seen.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:08:14 PM by GLC »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
I assume the .o5" thickness is  a typo.

2" square magnets should produce a very good generator. The SH grade can run up to 150C and is a big improvement on the standard grade. Probably better to have this property than a higher N number. N40 is fine, there is not much difference between N40 and N42.

Pull figures for identical shape and sized magnets gives a relative comparison of strength for an alternator but any change in size shape or the surface they are on changes everything, Pull depends on the flux path in contact with the magnet and doesn't bear any resemblance to what happens in an alternator with an air gap.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:55:22 AM by Flux »

GLC

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »
"Pull figures for identical shape and sized magnets gives a relative comparison of strength for an alternator but any change in size shape or the surface they are on changes everything"

Now that is something I didn't know and am glad to have learned. One of the things I thought about was the difference between N42 and N40. Hence the question I asked. Now that I know the N number doesn't have much relativeity especially when it comes to size,shape and surface area, I'll march forward in my quest for DIY power with a certain confidence when it comes to the magnets.

Looking at a chart of magnets N40 is within

Yes 0.05 should be 0.5" or 1/2" I must have had Michigans Legal alchohal limit on my mind.

Again Thanks

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:12:48 AM by GLC »