Author Topic: A battery question and a magnet question  (Read 2623 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
A battery question and a magnet question
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »
So, I have an opportunity to buy a 48 volt hilo battery dirt cheap, this battery is at as local business that is out of business, it was an extra battery for a hilo that has been sold, the charger went with the hilo, it would not have been of much use to me as it was 460 volt 3 phase, the thing appears to be in as new condition, the guy that wants it gone has no information on age or use, if I do decide to buy the thing, I'm going to have to borrow a friends hilo as it is one big heavy motor scooter, any advice on what I should do as far as testing it would be appreciated, i'm building a 17 foot 48 volt battery charger.

Now, the magnet question, I got my 3x1.5x.75 magnet today, these things a scary strong, I've never dealt with magnets like this before, what would happen if one of these came into close proximity to a cell phone or a hard drive? Will they affect the magnetic stripe on a credit card?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:02:34 PM by (unknown) »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

bzrqmy

Re: A battery question and a magnet question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
Don't know much about what they would do to a cell phone or credit card, but it will make a hard drive scrambled eggs.

Do your mangets have holes or will you use a template?  I used some steel blocks to mock up my rotor and check spacing and such to eliminate the possibility of scratching/cracking a magnet.  You should try to handle the magnets as little as possible until they are readay to be affixed to the rotors.  I had put my mangets on the disc and taken them off a few times, each time you are risking one of the magnets taking off and slapping another, causing chips and such.  Also, when assembling the mag rotors, do it on a clean peice of cardboard or a clean work surface.  I had a hell of a time with metal shavings literally coming out of the woodwork.  Not to mention tools and such flying off the walls, just like in the cartoons.

Magnet day is an exciting day in the life of a turbine builder, congratulations!!!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:20:20 PM by bzrqmy »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »
My rotors are already banded, I will be lasering out two aluminum templates and they will be bolted to the rotors then the magnets put in place, I had a tape measure clipped on my pocket and a magnet in my hand, the tape measure actually shot out and stuck to the magnet, these things are actually quite scary.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:53:52 PM by fabricator »
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

micblock

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
A strong magnet will destroy your hard drive. I'm sure it will not do your phone much good either. Magnets like this is not a toy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:58:41 PM by micblock »

angus

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
Hey/Hi Fabricator

Those mags will destroy a hd, they would scramble a cc, and would scramble the user stored info an a phone- ie pics ,phone nos. etc but would not affect any hardwired memory ie the simm card. Re testing your battery - take it to your local auto-elec. He will have the gear to test it for you (ie battery acid condition etc)

A big ask..

I am planning a 5kw to 10kw turbine (30 to 40 ft rotor)- my family use about 50kwhrs of energy per DAY! (about A$3000 per year and going up)

So--  Could you post pics of your progress- I'm sure all will be most interested.

Those mags are big. What did they cost and you must be planning large coils and a thick stator.

Your aluminium template- I would use a plastic eg. poly-carb or acrylic - if you plan to bolt it there permanently- no flux losses between magnets. (Hi Flux).

What rotor diameter have you set for these mags and what stator dimensions are you considering?

I have not decided yet whether I will go AF of induction motor conversion.

I have my own sheetmetal gear and toolroom gear - like Oztules ( G/day Oz  I still like your AWP machine and your EV .Thanks for the heads up over at the Back shed)

I have asked a Melbourne plating company about re-plating neos in hard chrome- from a rust prevention perpective (no heat involved) .Will let the forum know of results.

Fabricator I (we all) are keen to follow your progress with these new mags.

Regards

Angus (The older I get, the better I was)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:16:20 PM by angus »

bj

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:27 AM »

Can tell you for sure on credit cards.  Wiped my Interac three times.

I'm a slow learner sometimes.  I have quite a few Neo's in the shop, and

everything seems to be magnetized now.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:24:27 AM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
All my construction files so far are here http://www.fieldlines.com/user/fabricator/files, I just roughed out my blades yesterday with a chainsaw, now it's all detail sanding and finishing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:50:41 AM by fabricator »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
your link didnt work-fab........

this might..same adress--who knows????

http://www.fieldlines.com/user/fabricator/files

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:13:28 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
Yeah, that's it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:31:05 AM by fabricator »