Author Topic: My First Alternator  (Read 1051 times)

kimfmx

My First Alternator
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
I have purchased 12 neodymium magnets, and plan to make an alternator for making power for my home.

Now heres my challenge:

I live in a area where I live close to the neighbours, and its not allowed to put up a big windmill.

So what I want to do is some kind of vertical mill that is situated close to the gorund, and is working at low RPM.

Is this even possible, have it been done before, and is there designs available for low footprint wind designs.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:00:13 AM by (unknown) »

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
Re: My First Alternator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
   How close to the ground. ? kid protection. This site is great at low rpm generators.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:47:23 PM by Timeless Turbines »
"More Power To Ya"

angus

Re: My First Alternator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:38:20 AM »
Hi Kimfmx.. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I used to live in Melbourne ( Australia) where it was prohibited for households

to install rain water tanks- can you believe that?

Now (due to the drought) the government is actually subsidising such installations and mandating that all new houses be built with  tanks installed.

I guess what I'm saying is "don't bother".

If you (in order to comply with local regs.) need to install a low VAWT the the power you will get will not justify the cost.

You would be far better off- both power wise and cost wise to install a solar array on your roof- your local authority will have minimal objections to this.

I do believe there will come a time when solar panels will also be mandated in new houses.

Ps.  Approach your local authority and put it to them that they should build a

"Community Wind Turbine" - maybe in the local industrial estate- so that you and every one else, all contribute to and benefit from the facility.

Regards.

Angus.  (The older I get , the better I was).

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:38:20 AM by angus »