Author Topic: Tower/ Electrical  (Read 1512 times)

freejuice

Tower/ Electrical
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of building my tower and I would like to build my tower strong enough to eventually holdup to a 15-17footer. As of now I have 11 footer thet will be hoisted on it soon.

Here's my dilemma: The stator is wired for 24 volts but I might also build a stator for 12 volts too ( I have a free 12 volt inverter given to me, thus the reason for the goofy possibility for bouncing back and forth between voltages. However with that said, the larger turbine I would like to eventually build will be a higher voltage (24 volts)....yes I'm hearing what the Dan's and you folks are saying about the efficiency of higher voltage stators.

So my question is this:

If use a wiring size as mentioned by the Dan's on pg 237 (tower distance to battery bank relationship) could I use a heavier gage wire for my 11 footer (which may possibly end up as 12 volts) and then flip to a larger turbine of say 15-17 feet @ 24 volts without having to lay a different gage of wire, or would that thing called resistance (which I'm slightly getting a grasp of) screw me up?

One last thing, would that underground service wire they sell here in the U.S. that has the grayish plastic sheathing be ok to use from the tower base to the battery bank, as long as I use the correct gage underground service wire?

What have you guys used?

All the best,

Gavin

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:45:22 AM by (unknown) »

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
Re: Tower/ Electrical
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
  I am a Michigan lic. electrician. I think you should use conduit that way you can repull the wire if it needs to be replaced in the future. I think pulling the largest wire you can is best, the bigger the wire the less voltage loss between points. Its called Voltage Drop (VD) VD is always bad. My tower is two hundred feet from my house, I ran 2-2" and two 1". I am planning on paralleling the wire. It is a way to run multiple smaller wires in stead of running 1 large one, The NEC National Electrical Code states that 1/0 and larger can be paralleled. I am going to do it with #6 THHN. With a large conduit you can always up upgrade as you have the need.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:44:44 PM by Timeless Turbines »
"More Power To Ya"

freejuice

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
Hi Timeless,

Thanks for your response, but since I more of a tool & die guy than an electrican, I'll have to ask what you electrical folks what you would probably consider as an idiot question.

When youy say you are running #6 THHN wire in parallel...is that a sereis of wires that would share a common connection on the same ends? Something like if I was going to make a 4/0 or a 2/0 gage wire, I could use a several #6's so as it would make up the comparable size I was aiming for?

Thanks,

Gavin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:56:03 PM by freejuice »

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
   Yes,

right on the money.

I normally know why code is what it is, but not when it comes to paralleling. I think that most inspectors would not say anything as long as it is mostly outdoor wiring method.

When you paralleling each conductor has to have the same characteristics, the same everything.

1 - Be the same length.

2 - Have the same conductor material.

3 - Be the same size in circular mil area.

4 - Have the same insulation type.

5 - Be terminated in the same manner.

I get lots of stuff free from work, I got 1400 feet of #6 THHN wire 2 months ago. #6 is good for 60 amps X 2 = 120 amps

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:34:38 PM by Timeless Turbines »
"More Power To Ya"

Timeless Turbines

• Larry's Turbine Site
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
     Freejuice

I love my four post tower, it is an old windmill tower, I would recommend it to anyone willing to climb up, you can see it in my pics. I got it for $400.00.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:43:02 PM by Timeless Turbines »
"More Power To Ya"

freejuice

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:41 AM »
Timeless,

Thanks for your help! Running #6 THHN is not a bad idea!... I always walk away from this board impressed! Now to go shopping :o)

I will take a look at your pics!

All the best,

Gavin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:42:41 AM by freejuice »