Author Topic: info about battery and some battery advice  (Read 1198 times)

snake

info about battery and some battery advice
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
hi friends,i have some questions.those who can answer,please help me.

i just bought an SLA flooded deep cycle battery for my wind genny.there are values about the specifications written on the battery.can someone explain it to me.i am getting really confused.thanks

(1)12V 100 A/10hr

i know here that the voltage is 12V and the maximum amps is 100a but what does the 10hr means

(2)stanby use : 13.5V - 13.8V

(3)cyclic use : 14.5V - 14.9V

(4)maximum initial Current : less than 30amps

can you please also give me some advise about maintainance and what are the things that i should consider when starting to use it.

is there some process to do before using it?

thanks

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:23:26 AM by (unknown) »

mettleramiel

Re: info about battery and some battery advice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
The 100a/10hr refers to it's Amp Hour capacity. All it's telling you is that when they tested it for AH, they ran it for 10 hours and got 100ah, so you could comfortably run 10amps for 10 hours with it. It's just a more honest rating than plain, old AH.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:18:41 AM by mettleramiel »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
Yes that covers the Ah rating. There is nothing in the spec that tells you the maximum current you can take.

The voltages are the charge controller settings for different uses. The 13.8 figure is for float charge when the thing is mainly not used but available for stand by .

The higher figure is to fully charge it if you regularly discharge it a significant amount.  Quite often many uses use both figures. An initial charge to the higher figure to get it fully charged and then you drop to the float figure after it has been at the higher figure for an hour or so. Usually you  work at the lower end of the high figure for normal use and occasionally give it an equalising charge at the top end to make sure all the cells are in peak condition.

The initial charge current is the current figure they recommend that you don't exceed  in the early stages of charge, the controller will taper the charge off in the later stages and the current will be low at the end of charge.

The initial charge current seems rather low and possibly this type of cell is not really designed for very large discharge currents either.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:54:04 AM by Flux »

snake

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »
thanks for your reply friends.so,what does the cyclic use mean?thanks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:11:45 PM by snake »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
The extreme example of cyclic use could be when you take a battery camping and discharge it for days, then take it home and charge it, then take it away for days and run it down again.

Float would be something like a burglar alarm where it is not normally used but is available if the mains fails.

Most RE use falls between these extremes, you will be using load regularly but you have some charge at the same time. Solar tends more towards float if you have plenty of sun regularly ans large panels. Here in the UK it can become cyclic when we have days of no sun. Wind is normally more cyclic than solar in most areas.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:43:20 AM by Flux »