Author Topic: Homemade Generator  (Read 3757 times)

(unknown)

Homemade Generator
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
I'm making a 3 phase generator from old microwaves, using the ring magnets and secondary windings from the transformers. I know the magnets are not the best to use and the coils are copper coated aluminum, but this is an experiment to see how far i can go for free. I'm also trying to show my children what can be done if you just open your mind. What i would like to know is how will the ring magnets magnetic field effect the generator or will it not be a big deal? And the coils are WAY to big for the magnets to cover, so should i pull them apart and rewind them? What if i were to use 2 ring magnets side by side? 2 would cover the coil, But to lay next to each other 1 magnets North pole will be up and the 2nd magnets South pole will be up. I tried, they wont lay next to each other with like pole facing up. How will that effect the generator? I'm thinking I should rewind the coils, but i wanted some opinions from here before I proceed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:41:19 PM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Homemade Generator
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
first, they are ceramic magnets and so they aren't very strong

second, the secondary transformer wire is very small so not wonderful

How many volts would you like to make and

do you plan to actually use the power for anything ?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:36:48 PM by wooferhound »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
As an experiment, if the magnets fit inside the coil or there a bouts, then all is good.

Look here not quite what you are doing but.......http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/microwave_wind_generator.htm

If you have enough magnets double them up don't put them side by side.

allan

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:44:37 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Beaufort

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
Nice to see someone teaching their kids about "making do with what you have".  That's how I was brought up, but I now know that I'm very different from most others of my generation who have been given everything their whole lives.  Kudos, and good luck with the microwave project.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:09:16 PM by Beaufort »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »
heres one from a few years back.................

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/1/6/43743/33299

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:32:50 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
Hello!

It's good to see someone teaching their kids!

Just one quick question.

The Crow said.... "and the coils are copper coated aluminum"

I've not heard of this type of wire, is it unique to microwave transformers?

I didn't know that they could copper clad aluminum wire.  or was this just a typo?

have fun!

ax7

Mark

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:33:22 PM by 12AX7 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
I have seen this. I think a more appropriate term would be copper colored insulation. I recall it was more the coating than the wire itself.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:34:54 PM by TomW »

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:18:49 PM »
Hello Tom.

I kinda guessed that the insulation was copper in color.  But he/you're still saying is that the wire used "is" aluminum?

I would have guessed that used aluminum wire would be more difficult to reclaim/reuse.

My very small exposure to aluminum wire has left me with the feeling that aluminum is best used on airplanes and beer cans (all the beer I drink/buy comes in glass bottles).

ax7

Mark

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:18:49 PM by 12AX7 »

The Crow

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
Thank You for the feedback on my question. Yeah i did say copper coated, knowing it was just the color of the insulation, sorry about that, my fault. I liked the 2 links posted on the subject, very interesting stuff. I was thinking of doubling up, (stacking) like in the one link but never thought of adding another rotor. So what kind of effect will the aluminum wire have? Should my coils be wound similar in shape to the magnets? What voltage should i go with? If I rewind the coils I should be able to get 140 turns or more. If it works good enough i would like to occasionally charge batteries, though I'm not sure how i would want to turn it yet.

Thank you again for the feedback and to the feedback i hope to get on the new questions.

Crow

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:32:17 PM by The Crow »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 06:28:51 AM »
A second stator and 3rd rotor are less effective than using all the material on 2 rotors and 1 stator.  Of course it can get pretty big with magnets that size.

"So what kind of effect will the aluminum wire have?"

Soldering aluminum is difficult (an understatement).

Kester used to make a special solder, with a special flux core, just for AL.  I have not seen it for years.

With so much wire going to AL, it would be nice if they made it available again.

Look for older microwaves.  The older the better.

Much larger transformers and copper windings.

"Should my coils be wound similar in shape to the magnets?"

Yes.  The hole can be a little smaller than the magnet to squeeze a few more turns in.

"What voltage should i go with?" & "i would like to occasionally charge batteries"

Then 12V.

"though I'm not sure how i would want to turn it yet"

It is simpler and easier to get power out of a HAWT, especially if small.

It would be a good idea to try to define how you want to turn it, and the 'size' of everything before going much further.

G-

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:28:51 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

The Crow

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »
Woofer, I thought the small wires were primary and the larger was the secondary? I'm using the larger of the 2 though, about 14 gauge i think. Speaking of which I have a new question, I know what 2 in hand means and when you add the 2 together it equals 3 gauges larger then  what your single wire is to start with, so my question is How do you figure out what gauge you have if your using more then 2 wires? Would it be 3 gauge sizes larger for every added wire? I found a source for some free Approx. 26 gauge copper magnet wire (.015 thick)and thought about using that instead.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:25:34 AM by The Crow »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:41 AM »
One important thing about wire is the area.

Example: #10 is 10.4 kcmil.

Two strands of #10 is 20.8 kcmil.

Chart shows #7 is 20.8 kcmil, so two strands of #10 = one #7.

Chart shows #26 is 0.254 kcmil.  82 in hand = one #7.

Chart,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

G-

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:05:41 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

The Crow

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »
WOW, Thanks bud, That's not what I expected it to be. Thank You for showing me how to read the wire chart, I didn't understand it before now it's so simple (at least that part is lol) Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more goofy questions in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:00:25 PM by The Crow »