Author Topic: What CFL works best on modified sine wave inverter power?  (Read 3846 times)

DualFuel

What CFL works best on modified sine wave inverter power?
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »
Basically I buy them from the dollar store for a... $1. If I had to pick out a brand name CFL for use with modified sine wave inverter power, what would it be?

DF
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:47:14 AM by (unknown) »

RandomJoe

• Joe's Time-Waster
Re: What CFL works best on MSW inverter power?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
I haven't tried running them for extended periods of time, but my nVision bulbs work just fine on MSW.  Start and run the same as on grid or TSW inverter.  They do have an annoying (to me) whine/buzz if I happen to be close to the bulb (like in a desk lamp).  No idea if they would die sooner, though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:12:52 PM by RandomJoe »

DualFuel

Re: What CFL works best on MSW inverter power?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:25:47 PM »
Hi,

Yeah, I have been through some different brands. I noticed that some really get hot and burn out with MSW inverters. This latest batch seems to be holding out but they are nonames and I won't find them again soon.

DF
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:25:47 PM by DualFuel »

Opera House

electronic ballast CFL works best on DC
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:09 AM »
You are best off with the ones that have electronic ballast like GE.  For sure the ones with a transformer have minimal iron and overheat. I have an inverter I just use for lighting.  I bought it used with the output FETs shorted and I just connected the CFLs to the 140V DC.  Lamps like it and it is even more efficient.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:27:09 AM by Opera House »