Author Topic: 4 inch Tower connetion photo's  (Read 1799 times)

freejuice

4 inch Tower connetion photo's
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
Hi Ron,

here are a few photo's of the tower connections...hopefully I have the reduced in size and everything will be here fo you to see, however if not just click on my usedr name and then "files"

This photo is where I filled in the 5/8 hole with weld(connecting the 3.5 inside pipe to the 4 inch pipe (to keep things from sliding around)

This is the photo I was taking about on how I connected each section...I got this idea from Hugh Piggots book....I also have a 3.5 inch section of pipe lining each one of these sections too! Thes plates are 1/2 thick x 3.5 inches x 15 inches long, they are flame cut on three sides however the smooth side was welded to the tower, It still neeeds so side-grinder work to look presentable! Personally if all four side were flame cut, I would at least grind down one edge that was contacting the tower side; smooth and flush with a side grinder before welding it into position

This image shows how I'm still going to connect the guywires with shackles...these connection points are just below each tower section....had I konow about the great way to connect the sections before I had done this, I could have simply drilled the shackle connection points on the plates in the above photo...groan, oh well hind sight is 20/20 vision...and long as it still works! :o)

This image is the tower/gin pole, tilt setup...it still needs more work such as a brace between the towers...etc.... a work in progress

For some reason I could not find a photo to upload here...it is image 0054 it shows the 3.5 sleeve inside the 4 inch tower section at the second or 40 foot connection point, you can see it in my files!

I just hope all of this will be going up soon!

All the best,

Gavin

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:58:54 PM by (unknown) »

freejuice

Re: 4 inch Tower connetion photo's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »

Sorry folks,

This portion should have image 0053 here, since I can not figure out how to attach it here, just see the image under my user name....sorry folks!

"This image shows how I'm still going to connect the guywires with shackles...these connection points are just below each tower section....had I konow about the great way to connect the sections before I had done this, I could have simply drilled the shackle connection points on the plates in the above photo...groan, oh well hind sight is 20/20 vision...and long as it still works! :o)"

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:07:28 PM by freejuice »

watermanhfl

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
Gavin,

I have a 3" 55' pipe tower with 10' turbine, in opperation for almost 4 years.  The towers flex a lot when wind get high and turbulent.  My tower joints are slip connect so that welding was done in garage and assemblyed out back.

I would suggest that your weld size is a bit small but may be ok if you ground in a nice groove first for full penetration.  The welds should go all around the end of the plates so as not to creat a stress concentration.  Lastly I would strongly suggest a gusset on the gin pole to tower connection.  This joint takes abetting during raising and mine cracked after first raise.  Cables stretch and joint is also pulled sideways also unless all ancher points are perfectly level.

Just trying to point out potential problems as these towers are up in the air for years.

Ant
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:47:45 AM by watermanhfl »
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:11:01 AM »
Hi Waterman,

Thanks for the heads up! You have a point, I probably need to weave the welds wider.

These photos are a bit premature... its still a work in progress, I was trying to get some quick and dirty photos of it for Ron. Many of those welds are just tacked in at the moment...waiting for the time when I can get back on it.

Yep, I believe you are right on spot, I will fully weld all around all the edges.  I'm fully on board with what you are saying, I'm not a fan of tack welding things or welding a series of short runs.

I'm using 1/8 inch 6013 rods and each of these tower connections, really eats the stuff up...and I have not yet finished a tower connection point up! I'm thinking each point can easily eat 30 or more rods up....considering I have 15 inch long plates x 2 x 4 then the circumference of about 12 inches to weld too.....whew...something on the order 130 inches.... being a single pass only!

I have a piece of 3 inch schedule 40 pipe about 5 foot long But I was on the fence about using it. But now I see your point I will use it for the gin pole to tower gusset. I have seen people use just cables from the gin pole to the tower to lift  but now I feel like you do, I could use a gusset to keep it as rigid as possible along with the cables to lift it....after all this work I would hate for a simple oversight to kick me in the teeth! Your experience in these matters really helps a lot!

After some quick and dirty calculations the tower without gin pole, generator or  cables comes in at about 1200-1300 lbs., I'm indeed worried about this first raising and I want connection points secured and with a degree of overkill!

These things are like a charging cape buffalo, mountain lion or brown bear, sure a .22 might do the job if the situation is perfect and you're indeed lucky, but if a .375 H&H is available why not use it :o)

Thanks for your help!

Gavin

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:11:01 AM by freejuice »