Author Topic: crazy ideas  (Read 1804 times)

wildcrafter

crazy ideas
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
being a newbie and still learning i have a few ideas to play with.

1. on an axial flux could you not have multiple rings of magnets on the rotors and corrisponding coils on the sator like and outer ring and an inner ring.

2.how about more then 1 stator. like 2 stators and 3 rotors.

just some crazy ideas

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:21:10 PM by (unknown) »

REdiculous

Re: crazy ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
I'm new myself so I can't really comment on the idea but it seems to me that current designs should be pretty good at what they do. Why stumble around when you could follow plans and have a working windmill? Once you have a working machine it'll be easier to see where you can improve things too.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:57:03 AM by REdiculous »
☣☠☢

wildcrafter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:08:57 AM »
well its sort of the same as why would anyone with grid power put up a wind machine grid is cheeper and easier.  I am a tinkerer never satisfied with just going with the crowd and follow, but i am no blind fool with a pipe dream so i ask questions first.  If people nver played with there ideas we never would have electricity or any modern conviences for that matter.  I believe that everything can be made better in one way or another its just up to us to find it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:08:57 AM by wildcrafter »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:04:08 AM »
#1  The inner ring would not add much.

The material would be better placed in the larger ring.

#2  With 2 stators and 3 rotors, the alternator would only be 25% as powerful as if all the material were on a larger 1 stator 2 rotor (normal dual rotor).

Yes, that is 4X the power in a standard design than a 2 stator 3 rotor design.

A list of relevant reading,

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2010/1/22/10046/7069/7#7

G-

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:04:08 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »
G;

I will be misunderstood saying this, but here it is anyway:

There is very little NEW in the world. About 99.76% of these "Great new ideas" have already been tried, and in the area of DIY wind power I have seen very little that is truly new as far as ideas go. As an example this one has been seen here since they started with the dual rotor units, same as the 3 magnet rotor idea that crops up regularly.

I guess it is easier to ask than to research yourself. I suppose that is just the nature of people.

I also have seen it said that an hour in the lab [shop] can save a week in the library [internet].

Not saying trying stuff or asking questions is wrong, it is not. Just saying the work has already been done on a lot of it and some research or experimenting will often yield answers.  

New materials will be the biggest advantage in most areas. Think NEO magnet WRT turbines. As new materials become available "new" technologies may emerge but even then we seem to just rehash older ideas that could not be made to work due to materials issues.

Ok there it is. Misinterpret away.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:32:18 AM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
Hey, the version of your quip that I use with techies is:

"A month in the lab can often save an hour in the library or a minute on Google."

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:34:20 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »
Oh shut up! Don't make me fly to London.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:12:07 AM by TomW »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
You guys forgot the new Kindle.

Wonder when the Dans' book will be available on it...

Original poster:

What we are trying to say is to do a little more research. The minds on here are VERY good at what they've accomplished. The Dans' book. Scourgwind's book, these bad boys are pretty much considered the bible's on the subject of build working power converting mills.

Ghurd has also posted some beauts with respect to smallish in size. Some nothing more than box fan thingy's.

Grab a coffee (tin-o-JOE)(for us grumpy old Mil_Spec types) and have a good long read.

Then with notes on some; grab whatever you can find and dig in.

I am a kinetic learner I have the see feel touch do in order for book learning to sink in. Theory is good up to a point then it's time to play.

AND REmember HAVE FUN wit it...

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:47:46 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

wildcrafter

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
no tom i will not misinterpt and will take your advice to heart.  The one thing though searching the forum for thing as i have been doing has me missing things some times.  like the title post just some crazy ideas i had.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:27:49 PM by wildcrafter »