Author Topic: Building a winch  (Read 1201 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Building a winch
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
I'm thinking about building a winch, I'd use a worm gear speed reducer like a Dodge Tigear, most worm gear winches are around 30:1, so I'm thinking maybe 50:1.

Worm gear reducers are inherently self braking, weld up a drum with some bushings and a frame, should be pretty simple to make 8-10K lb winch, I can get used tigears for 50-60 bux all day long, seems like it should work.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:35:07 PM by (unknown) »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Building a winch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
I saw your post last week, didn't have time to comment at the time.  Surprised nobody's tried to respond yet.

Actually maybe winches are a risky project to take on, but if you've got some experience with this stuff it may not be so daunting.  Somewhere around 30:1 or 40:1 ratios your winch has too much mechanical advantage to move when the crank is released.  If you're looking at a 1800 RPM motor to drive it, then the drum will turn about 30-60 RPM with the reduction.  A drum about 4" in diameter will take in up to 1 foot per minute (a bit fast, why hurry?) but it shows that the ratios you want will offer you a reasonable cranking speed and not need some kind of brake on the induction motor.

Size of the motor - look at similar winches on the market, but I'd expect at least 10HP.  That may be the limiting factor since the Tigear that I found from a google search came up with max 6 HP.

The reduction ratio and the required power are interrelated, so it's a balancing act.  Good luck!  I'm really interested in what you can come up with - if you decide to pursue it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:43:31 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca