Author Topic: magnetic stator  (Read 3375 times)

delboyo

magnetic stator
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
first i would like to say hello to you all,this is my first post or rather question if someone could answer it for me please.i am building a magnetic generator to go on my waterwheel in my fishpond, this is my first project of this sort,i have 2 pulleys with self centering taper lock bearings in, they clamp onto a steel shaft,so the whole thing looks like a weightlifters dumbbell.because the rotors are connected by being all steel will their be a problem ,or have the rotors got to be separate individual items.i would like to thank anyone who replies to this now as i don,t get on here that often.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: magnetic stator
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
[first i would like to say hello to you all,this is my first post or rather question if someone could answer it for me please.i am building a magnetic generator to go on my waterwheel in my fishpond, this is my first project of this sort,i have 2 pulleys with self centering taper lock bearings in, they clamp onto a steel shaft,so the whole thing looks like a weightlifters dumbbell.because the rotors are connected by being all steel will their be a problem ,or have the rotors got to be separate individual items.i would like to thank anyone who replies to this now as i don,t get on here that often.]

not nearly enough information for anyone to give you much help.
 First off you mentioned these are pulleys with bearings in them. Or am I reading this wrong?
 what are you palnning to do with the pulleys? try and use them as rotors? if so then you wouldn't want the bearings in the rotor especially not self centering ones as this would allow the rotor to wobble at will.
 A rotor with bearings in it is possible as in with 2 bearings like a trailer or front car hub  this will prevent any radial runout or wobble.
 But we haven't covered the diameter you are planning to have so again not enough info.
  Now if say you have a pair of 6 inch diameter pulleys each having a bearing in it then you could secure them one to the other with tube a little larger than the housing the bearing is mounted in, or by using 3 or more all thread bolts and spacer tubes or nutting the all thread inside and out. placed in the smallest bolt circle pattern possible   so as not to interfere with the magnets on the rotors or the coils mounted on the stator
 you mentioned this to be mounted to your existing water wheel what diameter is the wheel how many paddles does it have on it what is the water flow per minute / per hour  How much head travel does it have before it strikes the wheel How are you planning on driving the generator off of the wheel?
  The others on this forum will have a dozen more questions the better you can provide them with data the better they will be able to access your situation and just maybe give you some advice
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

delboyo

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
hello to you frank s,i don,t seem to have explained myself very well,so i will try and do it this time.the pulleys are 12"diameter cast iron 1/2"thick,i have 24 magnets they are 2"x2"x1" ceramic.the pulleys don,t have roller or any other type of rotating bearing in the centre.A taper lock bearing are the type they use on industrial fans,they tighten up with 2 allen screws so they are locked onto the shaft.the question is if i make 2 rotors and clamp them on a steel shaft will it interfere with the changes that happen when the magnets change polarity.or have the rotors got to be individual,eg separate.When they are both clamped onto the shaft it will become one solid item so when you turn the shaft the rotors turn as well.i haven,t built the waterwheel yet so i don,t know how many or size of paddles sorry.Frank i,m 62 years old and for the life of me i don,t know where the idea for me doing this came from.the pump i have is 1550lts an hour the fall of the water is 2mts,None of this is designed or built yet as i did,nt know this answer,i have never been in a discussion like this before so excuse me for being vague about things as i don,t really understand most of this but i am trying to learn.

Frank S

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Great; There are arguments for using 2 rotors  the magnets facing each other  12 magnets per rotor with a single stator between them  versus a single rotor with the magnets on opposing sides using 2 stators. There are guys on here who have built both ways and have volumes of data on their generators.
 Some with Iron /steel  rotors and some with wood or other materials.
 A couple of members have published books on their home brew builds.
 Mounting the Iron pulleys on a single shaft locking them together seems to the be the norm when 2 rotors are used.
 I will be the first to make this suggestion though get some books on the homebrew machines be they wind turbines , Hydro, or other and read up on  the many designs.
 The parent owners of these forums Know to most as the Dan"s hold seminars all over on the subject.
 Member Franz has a couple of books on the subject as well
 Member Ghurd designs and builds controllers  Member Flux is renown for his knowledge in transformers and magnetic flux
 the list is too long for me to even start to name all of them or the members who have built systems that have allowed them to be totally off grid some very intricate systems located all around the globe.
 I am off grid for energy but with solar and a conventional generator mostly running on biodiesel whenever I can get it .
 I have learned many of the Theory's of the homebrew generators but as of yet have not setteled on a design solution to suit my needs that and I am not exactly located in an area where it would be feasible to install either a wind or hydro unit at this time
 Hopefully someone will chime in soon
 But read these forums and any books that are mentioned this will help you a lot 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

delboyo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
thankyou for that frank,i did,nt think about 2 stators and 1 rotor,i will look into that one.as for your off grid if you have a lot of sun where you live have you looked into a solar panel running a dc pump,they are brilliant,set your pump in a barrel a water and pump it up so it retuns to the barrel via a waterwheel,which turns a generator, how big depends on the pump,just my take on things,thanks frank.the one i have turns over 1550 an hour.

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Yes recovery and regen is fine when you have an excess of solar PV  water makes a good media for storing energy a pelton SIC turbine and generator can help to keep from running out of battery power. The trade is it takes a lot more energy to raise the water than can be harvested but if as I said there is excess why not use it. I have the means to store a volume of water in a number of 225 gallon totes.
 The issue here for me at least is I do not have excess PV panels. With the amount of energy use we have during the day there is  just barely enough to bring my bank up to full charge on a good day. With these short days we run the generator quite a bit more every 2 or 3 days and at least twice a week we run it long enough to get the bank into float
 I have been thinking though that I might restore an old water pumping windmill to lift water from a lower tank to the high storage.
 Very low wind will lift a lot of water when it only has to do it 20 ft I could make that look like an antique to disguise it if need be. But since I live in an industrial area that is only in the past few years been annexed onto the city limits I may not need to do even that. there is just no feasible way to erect a turbine 60 or 70 feet in the air that wouldn't attract unwanted attention   

delboyo

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
i don,t think my neighbors would take kindly to a 60 or 70 foot turbine out side my house either.i was reading something online last night about thermal heat being 3 times the output of what you put in,a steam pump or something of that sort turning a genny . the water could be heated from a wood burning stove(,Ive always wanted one of those but my estate is smokeless),I will try and keep up to speed with this project, and if i can follow the instructions, i will take some photos and upload them.I wish you all the best with your projects Frank and i will see you on here again ,thanks for the advice.

Frank S

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
Never buy into something that claims you can get more out than is put in. It just doesn't work that way Steam does expand several times over the volume ow still water but a BTU or Calorie in is not going to yield  the same amount out as went in.
 For smokless you might think about a Rocket style mass heater

delboyo

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Hello Frank,the idea of a wood burner for energy was for you to look into,it sounds like you have the means to do it.i must admit to you i feel out of my comfort zone with what i am talking about on here,some of you guy,s are so intelligent it,s frightening.i will do some more research and build the stator anyway, seeing as i have all the pieces.Thanks for keeping in touch and for all the advice.Speak to you on here soon.Bye for now.derek.