Author Topic: Controling max rpm  (Read 1219 times)

(unknown)

Controling max rpm
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »
Anyone use centrifical clutch as a limiter or what a good way to handle over speeding.

thank you for any help

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:05:51 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Controling max rpm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
You are dealing with large power levels in high winds and you won't get away with clutches or proportional brakes.

The only way is to spill the power of the blades in high winds.

The only methods that I have known to work are blade pitch control ( to feather or to stall). Furling to rotate the blades out of the wind. Centrifugally operated fan brake ( Wincharger) or tip flaps. Or stall control by loading with some form of load with increasing power with speed such as centrifugal pumps, gear pumps or electrical machines with constant speed characteristics such as induction generators. Usually stall control is backed up with tip flaps or powerful brakes.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:29:00 AM by Flux »

mrwiggleshaft

Re: Controling max rpm
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »
Thank you for your reply

I understand the the necessity to dump power at some point. This would be in addition to a furling system, more to keep turbine in a generating range. For higher winds that could take you out of optimum generating range not gusts or rogue winds. Or maybe at some point to engage a secondary turbine and or fly wheel to more even out rotation speed.

I'm also looking at conductive polymers w/ embedded with metals for rotor plates. I read on another older post here about someone thinking of adding "iron dust" to resin to make plates. One of the arguments seemed to be the migration of iron dust to magnetic fields and on to the magnets. It seemed to me that a simple solution to this would to do it in two castings, one to cast plates with metals added and one to affix the magnets to plates without metals added.

Any thoughts thanks

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:18:00 AM by mrwiggleshaft »