Author Topic: Watching the wind  (Read 1316 times)

tanner0441

Watching the wind
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Hi

Yesterday the wind blew through here, we also had rain, snow, sleet, and hail, 27 times according to my weather station, but it gave me time to watch the output from my turbine and take a few readings.

200W Chinese copy.  Cuttin 230 RPM perseptable movement of the ammeter.  300ish RPM 6A, 400ish RPM 12A.  I was very happy at one time to see 18A, see the blades swing out of the wind, and hear the relay switch to the dump load, the speed imediately dropped back. I was measuring the speed with a Bluepoint multifunction meter connected across two phases, switched to 6Cyl RPM range with noise canceling enabled.

The trees at the end of my garden were bending over but the highest wind speed I was able to record was 23MPH, with the wind comming from the north west most of the time it was fairly stable, then the turbulance hit the tail and the blades slowed down. I made a shorting link to connect all three phases, so in a lull I fitted it at the bottom of the mast. There was no problem starting up but never turned faster than a few RPM. It is now tied to the connectors so it can be fitted if ever we do get silly winds.

Then had a visit from a neighbour, I was asked a question I could not answer. My solar panel was putting about 1 A into the batteries the turbine was sitting at around 6A does that mean the I am charging at 6A or 6+1 7A?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:11:51 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Watching the wind
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:17:38 PM »
If the solar and wind have separate ammeters you are charging at 7A. If they are fed through a common meter then 6A.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:17:38 PM by Flux »

tanner0441

Re: Watching the wind
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
Hi Flux

Yes seperate ammeters the only thing in common is the fuse next to the batteries.

Brian

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:55:07 PM by tanner0441 »