Author Topic: New board changes  (Read 2806 times)

(unknown)

New board changes
« on: June 07, 2003, 09:54:10 AM »
Glad the feedback is mostly positive so far!

Though DanF would like to take credit for the new look of the board, all he did was hire the guy who first developed Scoop to make the changes (both suggested by us, and suggested by our users) to the source code ;~) As an added bonus, these changes are flexible and can be implemented or not by any other Scoop board. Scoop is a free, open-source software package, and we are pleased to support the project with a little cash to spur new development and help others.

On our punch list now:

• The new comments box with each story on the main pages DOES take up too much space. We will reduce the text size and eliminate the extra line breaks. NOTE! You can turn this new box OFF if you wish by going to "display preferences" and UN-checking "recent comments".

• Anonymous hero issues. It seems to us that the best way to deal with this is that -- if you post as "anonymous hero" your posting is sent to a voting or editing queue, where it's up to the users of the board whether your story or comment gets posted or not. What does everyone think?

• Other minor format changes are in progress too.

As always, please let us know what you think!

ADMIN
« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 09:54:10 AM by (unknown) »

WetinOR

Re: New board changes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 12:14:41 PM »
Again, a very fair solution to the Anonymous Hero issue!  Thanks Dan!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 12:14:41 PM by WetinOR »

Demetri

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 03:05:13 PM »
I love the changes! Thank you Dans and everyone else involved for giving us such a great board. As to the AH stuff, we'd still have to read the posts and vote on them, I still believe anonymous posting should not be allowed.

Demetri

« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 03:05:13 PM by Demetri »

troy

Re: Anon hero posting
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 05:59:29 PM »
If this were a democracy, which it's not, I'd vote to do away with anon. posting altogether.  I want to know who I'm talking to.  

But it's not a democracy, and I totally defer to the decisions made by admin on how to run their board.  They have done a marvelous job of it.

Best regards,

troy

« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 05:59:29 PM by troy »

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 09:12:44 PM »
I think the solution you have for the AHs would be fine. I really don't have a problem with them myself. I know that if someone is willing to put their nick or name behind a message post then they are willing to stand behind it and must have something to say worth listening to (most of the time). If I read something I don't agree with and it's an AH then i don't waste my time on replying. Seems simple to me.

Go ahead with the vote thing if you want but it may take more time to wade through all the AHs and vote on them if you pool them into a voting box. Not sure what you have in mind there.

I like what has been done to the board. It's getting easier to get around and seems to be less cluttered. Maybe I am just getting used to it. I will definately miss the old board set up. It took a lot less time to browse through and read what I was interested in or new something about ( or so it seemed). Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 09:12:44 PM by Gorilla Boy »
Live your life in such a way that if you were to find out about you that you would be impressed in you even if it wasn't you. ~ Me

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 04:26:55 AM »
"display preferences" and UN-checking "recent comments" You musted mean selecting mininal? The board is looking better since the lasted time here..
rnelson & thanks

« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 04:26:55 AM by (unknown) »

xeroid

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 07:35:07 AM »
I would like to applaud the Dans for their excellent work in providing this board and running it in fair and "clean" fashion.  Well done guys, and thank you.

Xeroid.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 07:35:07 AM by xeroid »

Wolfie1

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 05:41:39 AM »
Dan's, is the email digest turned on and if not, when might it be done?

Martin.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 05:41:39 AM by Wolfie1 »

(unknown)

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 03:46:05 AM »
I think it stinks, even if you have my IP.  Thanks Dan!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 03:46:05 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 03:48:41 AM »
WetinOR

Demetri

troy

xeroid
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 03:48:41 AM by (unknown) »