Author Topic: Added Topic -- Reviews  (Read 2925 times)

(unknown)

Added Topic -- Reviews
« on: October 08, 2003, 01:50:29 PM »
Chuck M wanted to post some equipment reviews so here's the place for them! Everyone, let us know if you want more topics added. They are easy to do and aid greatly in searching.

ADMIN

« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 01:50:29 PM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Added Topic -- Reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 10:30:18 PM »
How about a topic for  Heat or Thermal

I have tried to place posts for Home heating, Pool Heating and Thermocouple Power, but there isn't a proper topic area for these Subjects . . .

« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 10:30:18 PM by wooferhound »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 08:59:48 AM »
Hi ADMIN,

first off Id like to say I'm very impressed with this board. I have learnd so much by reading it. You guys are doing a fantastic job!!! the only suggestion that I have to improve it is this//  As the new postings or new post threads are added, all the posts move down the line of the list, and can quite easily move many pages back where no one can esily detect new posts to old postings/or topics. Then if someone might have thought about a suggestion for a preivious posting, that was not apperant to them at the time, that the posting remained on the "front page" of the posts. As a result most will miss late activity on a posting. unless of course your are a savvy user, and go back a couple of pages, to look for activity in a posting that you were interested in , but even doing this you are bound to miss allot, especially if you previously werent interested in all the postings back there, but then someone else might have added something, that made you interested. most of the time, like I said you just miss that opertunity.

Alot of potentally new users are finding some of these "old" postings and are actually adding to them with new posts. these people are finding these old posts thru a search engine. But most of us miss this "new" activity since the main posting stays 5 to 10 pages back on the list of postings. A fer example: some guy named Julius, cant rememer the last name, posted some very well articulated explanations to one of JCP'S perpetual motion posts, while it was in The quarentine zone. this happened acouple of months after the time of his rant. But the guy made an honset effort, and it was intersting to read.

It would be very cool if there was topic for recent additions to all preivious postings.

Keep up the exellent work guys OTHERPOWER IS #1

-JW  

« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 08:59:48 AM by JW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 10:06:26 AM »
JW;

I have often thought a special page with everything "new" on it starting with the latest would be very useful. Kind of like how the old board did postings.

I have seen the same issues you mentioned. You can go into your display preferences for the site and get up to 50 stories per page but I find I still miss stuff and I read almost everything that goes through the site but do not go beyond the 50 that display on my "front page".

So there you go, Dan, a feature request.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 10:06:26 AM by TomW »

Wolfie1

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 12:22:23 PM »
Actually, and possible more 'do-able' in scoop would be an option to list the stories (not sure if that is the right word for it) in order of the story with the most current posting in it and going backwards in time.

Then, 'stories' that can get a quick answer drop from the first page while old favorites that never seem to die, such as laminate materials and coil turns/size/thickness will remain until they die a nautral death (if they ever will).

I think most of the people that read and post most days will probably read everything new for fear of missing something valuable.

Martin.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 12:22:23 PM by Wolfie1 »

John

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 01:26:24 PM »
Reversed chronological listing. That's an option that we had with the old board. Admin. said that they are working on it but I haven't seen it yet. I hope it will be done soon!

John

« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 01:26:24 PM by John »

kurt

• website
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 01:38:24 PM »
Actually most message boards are set up so that if a new comment is added to a post it moves to the top of the list indicating that there has been new activity. That way ongoing threads don't get buried. I always thought the way this board was set up was kind of strange but it gets the job done so I was not going to howl to loud especially since there was already enough problems for the admins to worry about    
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 01:38:24 PM by kurt »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 10:02:21 AM »
ADMIN;

I did a litte looking for somthing, that I remember from looking at various disscusion forums, a while back. check this out http://shouldexist.org  

most of these board software programs (meaning all, or at least execept for one) are mostly a generic program that everyone uses. Personally I think the way this one is set up is pretty dam good. Also these same programs have several customiziable features. for expample the way the main page includes all new postings from all "catagorys" is working quite well. also if someone posts to one of the postings it does not change its location "ie" bring it up to the top of the list. this part of the system (board)"works fine".

heres my sugestion///

we dont really need the DIARY section. if that small portion "the diary" of the from the main page was replaced with "newest postings from all sections" the arcive capability of this site would be greatly enhanced, this would allow new users to interact when they find an old post, these guys (potental new users) are being directed to these old posts by a search engine. unfortunitly the posts these guys are finding and posting to, are so far back on the list ,or archive, nobody know's they were there, and posted a comment or question.

If someone is really that interested in your diary, then they can already "easily" link to it from your 'handle'(mine is JW) located at the bottom of your posts. so IN MY OPINION THE DIRARY SECTION IS REDUNDANT. in my mind this should be easily configured with the "existing software" that is up and running here, but I could be wrong, but creating a "whole new" page to do this is probably not practical. anyway if you change only that -repace the dirary display box, with most recent postings from all sections- for me, as a user of this board i see it as a plus. but i feel its important to "note" the board works fine, and is really good, even without this suggested minor change.

-JW

« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 10:02:21 AM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 10:09:29 AM »
"correction"

above I quote //personally I think the way this one is est up is pretty dam good" I am refering to OTHERPOWER. Not the link i provided there...

-JW

« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 10:09:29 AM by JW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 05:15:37 PM »
I ran a BBS system here in Huntsville, AL for over 10 years. The software was VBBS Virtual Bulletin Board System. It had a feature in the message section called new message search which would bring up any unread messages for the users. The folks using this feature could define the topics that the New Message Reader worked with. I miss this type of feature on internet boards . . .

« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 05:15:37 PM by wooferhound »

zubbly

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 03:50:31 PM »
a topic in the area of induction motor conversion i think would be good as much of the research i do is in this area. i think that induction conversion has an extremely good potential with a little more devotion to this area.

thanks---zubbly

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 03:50:31 PM by zubbly »

desertratjack

Re: Hornet HT2 blade noise (12 vdc windmill)
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 05:54:33 PM »
I have a noise problem at about 35 mph with the 6 blade prop but other wise am happy with this mill and have also purchased the 6 vdc version (using the same prop). I might just put the noisy mill further up the hill and smile when I hear it's yowl, knowing it is putting out 20 plus amps :-)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 05:54:33 PM by desertratjack »