Author Topic: iFred -- We are losing the battle  (Read 5272 times)

(unknown)

iFred -- We are losing the battle
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:16:58 AM »
This board takes up a large chunk of our time and bandwidth. And we are getting busier and busier in trying to make a living from magnets and wind power. We frankly don't have the time to moderate postings and flame wars about free energy and weird science. So, major changes will be happening to the board all this week....including....

We will be eliminating the Free Energy and Weird Science and Magnets sections completely. In the near future, we may start another board (or an isolated section of this one) at least for magnets and magnetism.  The posts are not lost, we'll save them, and sort thru them for possible inclusion in another board later.

Sections under remote living will be expanded.

Voting will be turned on, I was testing it all last week and it works. This will cause a delay in posting; new stories will be posted to the voting queue, where registered users decide whether it goes to section only or to the front page. This will help keep really common questions that can be answered by a quick search off of the front page.

More soon. Things will be changing gradually all week as we do some re-coding of our PERL scripts in the board engine.

ADMIN

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 11:16:58 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Thank You!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 11:22:53 AM »
Dan;

Thank You!!

Oh, did I mention, Thank You.

Just in case you missed it Thank You!

Thanks.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 11:22:53 AM by TomW »

iFred

Re: iFred -- We are losing the battle
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »
EXCELENT! I totally agree. THANK you.

Get rid of Rants & Opinion, weird energy, free energy, let the web sites that want to host this do so, but here we talk about wind, solar, hydro and off grid and remote living. Make life easy project.

May I offer a couple suggestions??

Make the search bar or button highlighted and highly visible. LARGE..this will cut down on the amount of repeated questions. increase the bandwidth etc..

Highlight Classified areas. Once this gets going and people begin to buy, sell trade the inflow will double.

The menus need to be updated. most important topics highlighted. Wind, water or hydro, solar, remote living ect... One click link. multi links not necessary.

Put some adverts for your self and or company on the side lines to help increase sales and help you out with funds ect.. I don't think anyone will really mind. It is your board and you have a right to make a living. Every other web board has them, so should you. As stated in my post, you should recoup some of the costs at the very least to help pay for the internet usage. server costs and some of the programming labor costs, not to mention the huge amount of extra time spent doing all the editing and sorting.. people do not realize what goes into effort required to hosting such a major chat board. I have done this so I know what's involved. 25% of the space or less should be devoted to adverts. Don't ad any popups, they are annoying at best and shun usage.

Stay away from java script, since it does not work on all browsers and causes conflicts with computers that are not compatible. Shuns users, but looks nice, major pain in the butt.

Highlight the diary sections, they are the best of this board in general. The topics are clean and very little arguments since we know this is a major topic area and coming from a personal point of view.

Is there anyway to make sure that emails are correct and not spoofed for registered users? My email appears on the top of all headings, allows other users to contact me. Not a problem. Also unregistered users should not see my email address. Only registered users with a valid email should see other users with a valid email address. No spoofing, adds credibility to registered users.

Highlight IRC chat, get people into the live area, this will reduce the overflow of smaller questions. In fact I would out it as a main topic area to reduce the overall congestion. The HTML IRC works great and would allow people to get answers right away rather then having to wait. Reduces bandwidth I think.

As Tomw said, THANK YOU!!

Did I say THANK YOU!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:03:58 PM by iFred »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »
Hi Fred - thanks for the comment...

"EXCELENT! I totally agree. THANK you."

Good!

"Get rid of Rants & Opinion, weird energy, free energy, let the web sites that want to host this do so, but here we talk about wind, solar, hydro and off grid and remote living. Make life easy project."

weird energy, magnets and magnetism, free energy - are allready gone.  I think well leave rants and opinion - because sometimes folks need a place to complain about the board... discuss political issues related to renewable energy etc..

We may set it never to show on the front page though - but my guess, is that with voting - most rants wont show there and if they do, we'll decide if they stay or not.

"May I offer a couple suggestions??"

Of course!

"Make the search bar or button highlighted and highly visible. LARGE..this will cut down on the amount of repeated questions. increase the bandwidth etc.."

Yes, we will promote 'searching'... but again, if folks ask simple questions that seem redundant - well, thats the nature of any discussion board.  Probably those sorts of postings will not get voted to the front page, but remain in catagory only.

We'll also encourage folks to search on the page where you submit messages... and well add a bit of text explaining how voting works - and where stories will go before they get posted.  Once folks post a message... it will not appear anywhere - except in the 'voting' area, and it will stay there untill it either gets voted to 'catagory only' - 'catagory and front page' - or 'dumped'.  There will be a time default (probably 12 hours or so) - so that if it doesnt get voted somewhere, it will be default go into catagory only.

"Highlight Classified areas. Once this gets going and people begin to buy, sell trade the inflow will double."

Yes...  we'll think about that!  I think classifieds can be valuable if folks use it.  It has inspired some fun trading over the last year.

"The menus need to be updated. most important topics highlighted. Wind, water or hydro, solar, remote living ect... One click link. multi links not necessary."

Yes, now that we've eliminated some catagories, and this board will mostly be renewable energy (with a bit of remote living because there is a crossover of folks there) - we could expand the catagories a bit perhaps.  This sort of thing is very easy to change.

"Put some adverts for your self and or company on the side lines to help increase sales and help you out with funds ect.. I don't think anyone will really mind. It is your board and you have a right to make a living. Every other web board has them, so should you. As stated in my post, you should recoup some of the costs at the very least to help pay for the internet usage. server costs and some of the programming labor costs, not to mention the huge amount of extra time spent doing all the editing and sorting.. people do not realize what goes into effort required to hosting such a major chat board. I have done this so I know what's involved. 25% of the space or less should be devoted to adverts. Don't ad any popups, they are annoying at best and shun usage."

Yes, perhaps... Im not to keen on blatant advertising really - we'll see though.  We probably will promote our shopping cart a bit more on otherpower.com at some point.  That site gets a lot of traffic.  Our server definitely is pretty expensive - it's a nice system with lots of bandwidth and lots of websites on it.  We host a couple sites for other folks and small companies too.

"Stay away from java script, since it does not work on all browsers and causes conflicts with computers that are not compatible. Shuns users, but looks nice, major pain in the butt."

I agree.

"Highlight the diary sections, they are the best of this board in general. The topics are clean and very little arguments since we know this is a major topic area and coming from a personal point of view."

Yes- and perhaps a bit of explanation about what that area is for, and how to use it.

"Is there anyway to make sure that emails are correct and not spoofed for registered users? My email appears on the top of all headings, allows other users to contact me. Not a problem. Also unregistered users should not see my email address. Only registered users with a valid email should see other users with a valid email address. No spoofing, adds credibility to registered users."

Its optional... users can choose to - or not to display their email.  If someone is abusing the system - we have their actual email address.

"Highlight IRC chat, get people into the live area, this will reduce the overflow of smaller questions. In fact I would out it as a main topic area to reduce the overall congestion. The HTML IRC works great and would allow people to get answers right away rather then having to wait. Reduces bandwidth I think."

We dont run the IRC... so I dont wanna bring too many folks there unless JimU wants us to.  IRC is getting pretty busy these days!  

"As Tomw said, THANK YOU!!"

Thankyou Fred!  Its tricky - no matter what we do here, some folks will love it and some will hate it.  Regarding free energy and such - Im really not opposed to, and respect the opinions of folks who are interested - and have even more respect for those who are actually experimenting with it!  The bottom line though - it is controversial, it is not (in my opinion) workable... and I prefer, at this point - to keep the board a non-controversial place where we can discuss workable ideas and systems for off-grid living and renewable energy in general.  There are lots of good places out there to discuss other things... I prefer not to have it here anymore.  Even our old catagory of magnets and magnetism... there is a bit of crossover - but in my opinion a lot of the questions folks have that come from our magnet website are not related to the main subject of this board.  We may actually put up another discussion forum, seperate from this one - for wondermagnet.com.  

"Did I say THANK YOU!"

Actually... yes, you did ;-)

www.internetfred.com

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:26:56 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

stop4stuff

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 12:33:23 PM »
hi all,

I understand your predicament in the running of this forum... but did i get it right?

You sell magnets, yet you are getting rid of the magnets section of the forum???

Have you considered the 'magic' (as in entertainment) side of magnet sales?

I found this site because of my google search for magnets about a year ago...

Ok, i've not bought anything from u, but i have on occasion given your details as a supplier... even tho i have an interest in a UK neo magnet retail website.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge for those who're prepared to look for it...

You guys have put me straight on more than one occasion (thank you) and you perservere with others who 'need to be shown the light'

Yes you have a niche with homebrew electricty, but why exclude so many people from participating (& potentially buying magnets) by limiting the topics.

The front page vote idea is spot on... but please keep the magnet section.

all the best,

paul

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:33:23 PM by stop4stuff »

RatOmeter

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 12:36:30 PM »
Fred's got some good ideas here.  I thought I'd chime in.

Searching:

I get better results using Google to search this site.  Here's an example with the keywords "make pvc blades plans"

http://www.fieldlines.com/?op=search&offset=0&old_count=30&type=story&section=&s
tring=make+pvc+blades+plans&search=Search&count=30

vs

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=site%3Awww.f
ieldlines.com+make+pvc+blades+plans&btnG=Search

To limit google searches to a particular site, include "site:www.[domain].[tld]"  I used "site:www.fieldlines.com" in the example above.  Maybe the search feature could just pass it off to google instead of using the function built into the Scoop software?

Adverts

I somewhat agree with Fred.  It appears that it may not be obvious to some vistors here who runs this site and that they have products for sale (as evidenced by recent questions to that effect).

Maybe just reword the existing top link "Wondermagnet.com" to add "Git yer magnets here!" or somesuch.

The occasional small banner highlighting any special deals would probably go over well too.  25% of the page is a bit much, IMO.

Otherwise

The site is great and the planned changes will only improve it.  Thanks and keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:36:30 PM by RatOmeter »

stop4stuff

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 12:45:37 PM »
i gues u made ur minds up... that was quick

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:45:37 PM by stop4stuff »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 12:50:27 PM »
Hi Paul - thanks for your thoughts.

"You sell magnets, yet you are getting rid of the magnets section of the forum???

Have you considered the 'magic' (as in entertainment) side of magnet sales?"

Absolutely - a lot of our sales are to illusionists.  There are lots and lots of applications.  But I would say, on this discussion board - the topic of magnets and magnetism is responsible for less than 10% (probably less than 5%) of the postings.  And...  the topic matter can go far away from what we normally discuss.  (magnetic therapy - water treatment etc..)  Most folks from wondermagnet dont come here... they email us, and I try to reply to them all.  In the end, I think we shall go back to the way it used to be, and have a seperate discussion forum just for wondermagnet.com.  We'll post a link to that here, and a link to here there.

"I found this site because of my google search for magnets about a year ago...

Ok, i've not bought anything from u, but i have on occasion given your details as a supplier... even tho i have an interest in a UK neo magnet retail website."

Thanks!  Yes..  there will still be links from wondermagnet to here - I just prefer to keep the discussion on this board a bit more focused and a bit less controversial.  I promise you (you should see my email) - if we leave magnets and magnetism here.. well have lots of controversial postings about very strange applications for magnets!  (like overunity motor generators and such...)  Im all for folks who believe in magnetic therapy - magetic fuel treatment etc, I jost dont want to talk about it here.

"This forum is a wealth of knowledge for those who're prepared to look for it...

Yes, and the posting above about putting a google search feature on this board is a good one.  We have that allready - on the front page of otherpower.com.  Putting the same thing here would help a lot.  Google does search this site much better than the built in search feature.

"You guys have put me straight on more than one occasion (thank you) and you perservere with others who 'need to be shown the light'

Yes you have a niche with homebrew electricty, but why exclude so many people from participating (& potentially buying magnets) by limiting the topics."

because all these other topics are creating controversy and taking away focus(in my opinion) from the 'main topic'.  There has been more controversy here lately, than ever... and it's more than I can handle.  I prefer to keep the discussion a bit more focused lately.  We will put up a completely different board for wondermagnet.com - and folks will find them both.

The front page vote idea is spot on... but please keep the magnet section.

We may put it back... Ill see what other feedback we get about this and how it goes.  I think there will still be good discussion about magnets, and magnetism - but it will be pertain more to the general topic of this board.  For now...  I prefer to remove it and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:50:27 PM by DanB »

stop4stuff

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:58:58 PM »
Hi DanB,

thx.

paul

p.s. if anyone has any ideas for a fan made of bismuth that'll spin in a magnetic field... contact me ;)

(sry 4 the cheek)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:58:58 PM by stop4stuff »

DanF

• Administrator
magnet section
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 01:09:52 PM »
Right now Magnets and Magnetism has simply been made invisible. Everything is still there....DanB and I are discussing whether to just get some simpler board software and run it on that. If so, we could export the relevant posting to the new board.
DANF

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:09:52 PM by DanF »

iFred

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 01:13:07 PM »
By concentrating on "working renewable energy" only, hopefully we can concentrate on and pull in better topics, more experience, a better environment for the issues that are important, a stronger more united community chat and message area. Rather then find a gem in the rough or a needle in the haystack we could have gems everywhere.  The net result is a board that will be far far stronger and more powerful with the common good in mind. The admin's would have to do far less work, which believe me is probebly going to be a blessing. I wish you all the best with the new setup! GOOD LUCK with the new venture! I can feel the energy already brewing!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:13:07 PM by iFred »

whatsnext

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »
Dans, I like the site as is but the changes you have planned sound fine to me. One question though. Why bother with the peer review? Just let people change their 'homepage' to whatever topic is their favorite. With the peer review plan it would seem like the front page would be 'old news' to all registered users who do the voting. Plus, why have the guys who may be able to answer someone's question spend it instead on peer review. It might be easier, for you, to just count the responses to each topic and then once they reach some number they go to the front page which you could now call something like 'hot topics' or 'best of'. Or, how about 'fieldline's classics'?

Keep up the good work and thank you for your efforts, John.........
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:15:41 PM by whatsnext »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 01:41:09 PM »
Hi Fred-

Regarding the voting...

I think it will be a bit more democratic that way!  I have a feeling, that some sections (homebrewed electricity/wind) will move along very quickly - pehaps too quickly, and lots of the discussions there may be redundant.  Postings that folks see fit to put on the front page will stick around and remain visible a bit longer...

Really bad stories might get 'dumped' (which means they still exist, but theyll be hidden) and it will be up to the users what gets dumped, and what doesnt... rather than DanF and I!  (so nobody will know who to blame and well get less hate mail!).

Actually - we get very little email that's unfreindly - but occasionally folks disagree with actions taken by the admin when it comes to moving, or deleting stories.  With voting and comment rating turned on - it'll be more up to everyone.

It'll be a fun and interesting experiment - if it doesnt work out for the better we'll turn it back off again!

A lot of times, there are very popular stories that get buried in a day or less and often never seen again.  This way...  hopefully the best stuff will stick around a bit longer.

'best of fieldlines' - yes, that probably will happen... it may or may not be us that does such a thing.  my guess.. is it wont be the 'best of fieldlines' only  - but rather 'best of the www' or something.  We'll see what happens with that.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:41:09 PM by DanB »

whatsnext

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
DanB, I'm not sure why you think democracy is going to be such a good thing. The last thing you need, bandwidth wise, is to have registered members showing up just to 'vote' for their buddy's posts. And don't call me Fred.

John.........

/allready waiting for the first 'vote for me e-mail' to arrive.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 01:51:43 PM by whatsnext »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 02:00:07 PM »
I think that the board is still quite OK.

The main problem is that

it has become a bit too busy?

Maybe a simpler software and/or less text

on the main screen

would do the job?

I think that it would be a small mistake

to destroy 'the weird science' section

completely. It seems to be the case

that people are spending

too much time on that section, however.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:00:07 PM by hvirtane »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 02:12:17 PM »
Hannu;

Technically the weird science catagory still exists in the diarys section.

John;

If somebody sent me a "vote for me e-mail" id rat on um. Inevetably some people are just going to refuse to vote.... But its my "opinion"  peer review is just as important as innovation.

JW

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:12:17 PM by JW »

Dan M

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 02:53:18 PM »
One quick comment:

I didn't completely read this whole discussion, so somebody else may have made this comment.

I think voting is a great way to understand and underscore the value of a comment, but when an item recieves a high score (or another receives a low score) it really destroys the chronology of a discussion topic by scrambling the order.

Just something to consider.

Kudos on everything else.

-Dan M

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:53:18 PM by Dan M »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 03:16:13 PM »
Voting wont affect the chronological order of it all... it will only really affect what shows up on the front page.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 03:16:13 PM by DanB »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 06:55:44 PM »

10 4

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 06:55:44 PM by tecker »

whatsnext

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2004, 07:56:02 PM »
JW, The problem with this is it's not really 'peer review'. It's just going to be a sort of popular 'editorial review'. None of us here are really each others peers. We're just a bunch of folks who share a common interest in RE and happen to have found this board. That hardly makes us all peers. None of us know each others educational backgrounds and I have yet to see a single resume posted to this site. In most real peer reviews the backgrounds and expertise of the peers is well known and public. Here, the registered users who spend the most time on line and feel the need to vote will be able to skew the results of which stories make the front page. I, for one, won't really care about what's on the front page because it's likely that I will have already read the stories elsewhere. This may work well for the Dans and I wish them the best because I really like this site. I just don't see the value in them giving up even a little editorial control.

John..............
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:56:02 PM by whatsnext »

Harry Luubovv

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2004, 09:59:35 PM »
Dear Whatsnext,

The Dan's have already explained to all that, they are too busy to be able to be invloved in much editoral controls. It is not something that they can handle, and we can obviously see that. So please just respect that.

I offer my apologies to you if I have offened you inadvertantly.

Have a good day Sir,

Harry.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 09:59:35 PM by Harry Luubovv »

whatsnext

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2004, 10:21:14 PM »
Harry, No apologies needed whatsoever. Like it or not this is the Dans site and they can do with it what they like. Also, like it or not, they have complete editorial control unless they make someone else the ADMIN. And then they would still have the control because they pay the bills. Now they'll be policing a few regulars instead of the board as a whole. If they were really too busy they could just let the board operate without supervision. This is just a guess but my money is on the front page becoming less and less relevent to the regular users of this board. Time will tell if that's a good thing for the Dans or not. I like this site so I hope it works well for them.

John.......
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 10:21:14 PM by whatsnext »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 08:11:08 AM »
Itll be an experiment John...

I think though (my prediction) is it will not really change the relevancy of the front page all that much.  Itll move a bit more slowly, and the more popular postings will stay up there (visible) a bit longer.  Perhaps some of the easier questions.. (how do I hook batteries in series) - or that sort of thing, will get quickly answered but never need to go to the front page.  We'll see...!  If it doesnt work out well just change it back.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:11:08 AM by DanB »

elvin1949

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 10:27:03 AM »
i agree

elvin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 10:27:03 AM by elvin1949 »

elvin1949

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 11:24:41 AM »
DanB

i have been coming here for a long time now.

when you all changed the board before a lot of people complained BUT they got used to it.

that will happen again,not to worry [ they will get used to it ]. i agree with everything you want to do and with fred on you running a small add for your products,[you have to make a living and it is your board].

lots more i want to say BUT i am not very good with words.

thank you for the access to all this good info.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 11:24:41 AM by elvin1949 »

Dan M

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 12:02:02 PM »

Sorry if I'm beating this up, but on this page the #1 (base level) comment is much farther down the page than the #2 (base level) comment which came later.

The only difference I see is the score.

I had it happen on another page.  I posted a comment, someone either liked it or wanted to test the voting process and gave it a 5.  At first I thought it didn't post, or that it got administratively nuked (sorry, recycled).  I later found it at the top of all of the previous comments.

-Dan M

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:02:02 PM by Dan M »

jacquesm

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 12:14:38 PM »
I'm not too sure I like that 'voting thing', I'm looking at the site through the 'recent activity' link most of the time rather than the front page, it gives a much better impression of what is a hot topic or new.

The problem is that if there is a lot of flak in an otherwise great thread that thread will be invisible.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:14:38 PM by jacquesm »

Kilroy2k1

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 02:44:35 PM »
 The only time you can say we are really losing the battle is when the information, good or bad, stops flowing.

Take the Sherloc Holmes theories. Watson was never right, but eliminating all the wrong answers led Holmes to the right Conclusion's. This is evident in the scientific comunity daily.

Agreed the board needs a wee bit of a tune up.

Tom S.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 02:44:35 PM by Kilroy2k1 »

E man

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 07:09:34 PM »
Many kudos and thanks to the Dans and friends who run this fine site and make it happen.  I've learned more valuable information here than I ever did in Physics class.  

Real people building real machines...I like it!  Changes, schmanges.  

Have a Good'un.

E-man  

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 07:09:34 PM by E man »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »
Uknow upon further thought I wouldnt "rat on um", Id simply tell them in a reply e-mail, how I feel about "vote for me e-mails".

-JW

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:42:48 AM by JW »

KHB1

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 07:44:04 AM »
I dont know if i am typical or not. I love this site the way it is but I am not the one doing all the work I am not a computer geek and have no idea of what is involved in runing a web site and have no interest in finding out. I try to visit the site daily and read all of the front page till I get to the last article I read. I never rate articles i read and do not plan to do that eather. Ocasionaly I will read the individual subjects not on the front page when the weather is bad.

If this was my web site I would set it up the way I think it would work best for me and let the people who visit conform to it. If you are the one paying for a car you should definately pick the color.

Great site.

KHB1

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 07:44:04 AM by KHB1 »

RatOmeter

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 08:19:28 AM »
You're talking about rating the comments, not voting on the stories.

If you feel a comment has been rated too highly, you can rate it back down.

And yes, it does distort the chronology, but if it brings the more relevent or informative comments to the top, I think it's worth it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 08:19:28 AM by RatOmeter »