Author Topic: Board problems -- it's rudely logging you off....  (Read 3374 times)

(unknown)

Board problems -- it's rudely logging you off....
« on: January 21, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »
This problem is occuring with some of our herd of computers here at Forcefield, and others have been unaffected. It's difficult to track down because my home computers are unaffected by the problem. It's an issue with how the server is serving up the cookies and pages to your browser, and also with cookie and security settings in your browser. We are working on the problems, so PLEASE BEAR WITH US! The problem is almost certainly related to folks not logged being unable to read comments, too.

Some stuff to try until we get it fixed (this worked on a couple computers I tried)

First, be sure cookies from fieldlines.com are enabled in your browser and firewall.

Then, delete the cookies from BOTH www.fieldlines.com and fieldlines.com

Then, close ALL windows of your browser, and log back into the board again. You might be OK from this point on. If not....

View a story, but then click on a section to go to instead of the front page. View another story. THEN go to the front page. Sounds silly but it worked on 3 out of 4 of our computer herd here.

We should have this resolved within a week. DanF's fingernails are gone so he is chewing on his dog's fingernails over this problem. Thanks for your patience!

DANF

(ADMIN)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:22:02 PM by (unknown) »

monte350c

Re: Board problems -- it's rudely logging you off
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »
Hi Dan,

You must have made some progress on this problem. I was having a lot of trouble a couple of days ago -

It looked like user state was not being passed from page to page.

So the board would log me out when I clicked on any link.

Yesterday I looked through the cookies file on this PC and deleted the fieldlines cookies.

Since then the board has been 'back to normal'.

Seems whatever you did, plus clearing old cookies does the trick.

Make sure the dog washes his paws before you nibble on his nails!

Ted.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 11:41:44 AM by monte350c »

DaveW

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:08:18 PM »
A few days ago I logged on and since have not logged off, whenever I return have been able to read everything normally.  Come to think of it, hope not logging off and being offline is not causing any of the troubles at that end.

DaveW
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 01:08:18 PM by DaveW »

Monzadude

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:43:50 PM »
I use Monte350c's advise and deleted the Fieldline cookies from my comp and here I am. This seems to work allright.Thanks for all the help.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 01:43:50 PM by Monzadude »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Board problems -- it's rudely logging you off.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
thats--dogmountainband.com--
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 03:27:00 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 04:21:21 AM »
"woundnt be able to scracth them there fleas out of his hide--with no nails.."

Shucks Dan could just do like I do and use one of those wooden back scratchers :)

I have not had any of the logging out/in problems on either of my 2 systems I been using durring these problems that have been being posted about recently.

Win 2K and firefox, running spysweeper at all times on both. Plus firewall and Anti virus.

The other problems I had mentioned of clicking a link and the system just sitting there doing nothing, or not finding pages I had, but no log in type errors here.

Not sure how old my cookies would be, I never log out, but I do clean my system fairly often. I don't think I have had to log in for a week or so now at least.

Is anyone using Firefox having these problems, or just all MS IE junk having the problems??

« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 04:21:21 AM by nothing to lose »

ADMIN

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 07:56:20 AM »
Glad some folks are able to fix it. Some have not been able to. You need to check cookie handling in BOTH your browser and your firewall.

I've seen the problems in many of our computer herd here, using Internet Exploder, Mozilla, and Firefox. In any case, it's under repair right now by an expert. When all else fails, hire one of the folks that wrote the software to help you out!

DANF (aka ADMIN)

Head computer cowpoke at Forcefield

"We got 12 head of computer here, but they taste terrible when I BBQ them on the smoker!"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 07:56:20 AM by ADMIN »