Author Topic: Homebrew Easter Egg anemometer page update  (Read 3623 times)

(unknown)

Homebrew Easter Egg anemometer page update
« on: June 20, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
My Easter Egg anemometer finally blew up, due to our intense UV level here at 8200 feet elevation degrading the plastic eggs, making them brittle in 2-3 years. I'm now using Forcefield's Item# 4201 Anemometer Cup and Hub Assembly, which is made of polycarbonate, comes already balanced, and is extremely resistant to high UV exposure.

Fellow wind enthusiast Tony Van Roon in Canada made up some CAD drawings of the circuit for both the 7- and 14-pin versions of the Frequency to Voltage converter chip used, and a CAD PC board layout for etching, and kindly provided them to us for us to post on the Easter egg anemometer page.

If you don't want to etch your own board, you can order the boards pre-etched right from Tony:

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/wse/anemometer.html

I like this anemometer much better than Bicycle speedometer anemometers, because it uses a large analog meter that can be read from accross the room, and is much more responsive to wind gusts than the bike computer, which only samples once per second. This circuit's response is much more accurate to rapid wind changes.....and the analog meter is more fun to watch!

DANF

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 03:39:17 PM by (unknown) »