Author Topic: New section: Newbies  (Read 7164 times)

(unknown)

New section: Newbies
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »
We've had some requests to add this new section, so here it is!

Postings in the new "Newbies" section won't appear in the "Everything" section that we all use to show all postings in all sections. That way experienced experimentors who are short on time don't have to wade through lots of questions from new folks that are asked over and over again. We'll move such postings over to the Newbies section when we spot them.

As always, please be kind to new users...there's so much information on this board that it can be hard to find what you need using search and google search--and folks that are new to RE may not even know the correct terminology and jargon to use!

ADMIN

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:13:57 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: New section: Newbies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
Yes, we'd love to hear everyones feelings on this one.  The trouble is trying to keep some focus or 'workable projects' while still providing a space for folks who know a bit less... maybe didn't understand to use google etc.   I hate moderating out questions like 'can I make a 60 Watt solar panel with cells from calculators' and that sort of thing.  We'll still have to moderate out some things of course (any mention of overunity or other off topic stuff) but perhaps now we can have folks who are just starting out with the sort of questions that some older users find 'tedious' post in this new section - or - if they dont, editors can move them there if they want.  Of course anyone could post stories or comments there, but nobody has to look at them if they don't want.

Hope it doesn't bother folks that we did this - we'd love to hear feedback on it though.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:00:47 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:06:16 AM »
danB;

IMHO: I think it is a perfect place to put those questions. ( I had just posted in R/O) then saw your intro.

I also believe in what you requested. That those answering , be a little understanding when it comes to the newbie section & questions posted there.

How possible would it be to repost stuff like Flux's answer to why coil hole sizes are relavant.

There are huge number of great explanantions from him, Zubbly, Windstuff Ed and a whole host of ither that could be re-posted in this new section for people to find a central area to go to right off.

Thoughts?

Bruce S

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:06:16 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

scottsAI

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:52:39 AM »
Great idea!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:52:39 AM by scottsAI »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 12:04:33 PM »
Bruce;

How possible would it be to repost stuff like Flux's answer to why coil hole sizes are relavant.

There are huge number of great explanantions from him, Zubbly, Windstuff Ed and a whole host of ither that could be re-posted in this new section for people to find a central area to go to right off.

Well, there is certainly no reason folks willing to sift out these gems can't post a story with a herd of links and an appropriate title with it.

In fact it probably would be a great idea to help those with little or no knowledge of the subject here.

Not sure if or how to show stories in multiple sections simultaneously.

Perhaps we can appoint Ron as the Newbies mentor?

;-]

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:04:33 PM by TomW »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »
Ron seems to enjoy that sort of thing...

yes, I'll 'nominate' Ron as the newbies 'mentor' - well see if he accepts the nomination ;-)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:37:59 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »
Here's the only trouble as I see it. I read the "everything page" every day. Sometimes, I respond to newbie questions if it's a reasonable question and I am in the right mood. I think other regulars do the same. I probably wouldn't click on a completely separate page just to look at newbie posts. So essentially, I believe the "Newbie" area will become a graveyard of unanswered posts... which may be your intention.

Personally, I'd like "everything" to be "everything". I know it complicates things even further but maybe a "everything except newbies" category for those who can't stand to wade through those posts.

Lastly, I'd like to make my plea again to change this thing to phpBB. Everthing goes into categories and this would be a non issue. Just click on the categories you want to read. Plus we'd get to have nifty avatars and such :-)

Well... you asked!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:44:07 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:07 PM »
Farmer of Volvos;

I just read the "recent activity" page. It seems to pick up any and all new posts stories, diaries or comments. Including the newbie area near as I can tell so far the only posts in it showed up there.

Just how I do it.

Cheers

TomW

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:02:07 PM by TomW »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 02:03:23 PM »
Yes I tend to just leave things set to the everything page so if you hadn't brought this issue up on the everything page I would never have found the new section.

I find it perfectly easy to ignore things that don't interest me and also to ignore things where I think the outcome is going to be useless. I do occasionally get caught down a blind alley, but not often enough to bother about.

I can't see a solution, the whole internet thing is the same. Search engines are little use unless you hit keywords and that often means knowing something from the start. I have found many good sites by accident long after trying search engines.

I will keep an eye on the new section for a while and see how it develops.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:03:23 PM by Flux »

vawtman

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »
Boy Tom Ron has a newbie mentor.Wondering how he would direct stories like these.

Brake rotor stator

Skewed axial flux

Airplanes dont fly in little round circles

Homebrew dc motor

Jb coated coils

High solidity darrius type and many more

Where would this so called mentor have sent me has far has search engines go?

CHINA

Love Ron though.

I nominate Flux or Ed

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:10:16 PM by vawtman »

harrie

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »
Yes, I would like it left the way it is, Im a two year newbie, and just a little bit smarter, thanks to all of you. I just think all should use the search engin more often, so things dont need to be repeated so often, and I think its OK to repley to a newbie to do just that, in a nice way of course.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:32:13 PM by harrie »

PeterAVT

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »
You could always put a link to the FAQ in really big letters directly under the "newbies" page title/link.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:33:34 PM by PeterAVT »

icicle

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »
as A SO Called Newbie, I think it is a good idea. give it a month or so

heck you can always remove it if it does not work out
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:15:55 PM by icicle »

Capt Slog

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 02:37:03 AM »
It sounds good to me, I'm one of those that ask the "obvious" questions. However, I wouldn't like to feel that I was shut out of the main parts of the forums if I wanted to ask a newbie type question.  I think that these types of forums benefit from people asking for what often amounts to clarification even if it is obvious to some. Sometimes these questions perform the role of Devils Advocate, asking the "What if?".  

I can fully understand that the regulars must get fed up of answering the same things over and over again.  I've been on boards on other subjects where I've been one of those giving out the advice, it can get very galling to see your last reply dropping off the bottom of the page as next same question appears at the top.  As I've said before, thanks to all those who take the trouble, it is apprieciated and I've learnt a lot in a short time

As mentioned, the searches often fail on not knowing the terms. There's a 'Glossary of Terms' elsewhere on the site, perhaps a pointer to that in the FAQ would be useful.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:37:03 AM by Capt Slog »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »
"Newbies" section won't appear in the "Everything" section...

This is a bit strange choice in my opinion. I think that it would be better to put things such a way that you could have 'everything without newbies' as a separate selection, but the default 'everything would be 'newbies' included in the 'everything'.

I think that often some of the most interesting questions are being asked by 'newbies', because they don't yet know 'the tradition of this site', which might lead a wrong way sometimes.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:53:39 AM by hvirtane »

David HK

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 04:34:56 AM »
Zubbly is the key man for the answers to a lot of the questions posted on this site.

If, and when, he publishes his book, newbies and regulars who purchase a copy of this tome will treat the site in a different way.

I must say Flux is working wonders with his overtime on answering questions which I find most interesting and enjoyable to read. What knowledge!

But the same goes for many others who live in the harsh environments such as Canada and have tales to tell about frozen turbines - its all good stuff.

Just meander on and the site will sort itself out. It's not surprising that questions and interest in the subject generally are increasing when global warming threatens us and our children with many unpredictable problems.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:34:56 AM by David HK »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 07:07:02 AM »
Since you asked, I believe it is a bad move.

As I understand it there is nothing that compells an individual to view any post, yes it is so that posts move fast sometimes.

While we as a group are lucky to have professionals to give us technical answers, it is the comments by all that make this forum.

One of my greatest pleasures in life has been and continues to be teaching / sharing knowledge, and of this board my most rewarding is meeting through 'e' mail and in person many people who share a common interest.

I was a newbie some 4 plus years ago and remain thankful for moderating/ correcting comments by people like Tom W, in response to some of my posts. Had my posts as a newbie (when does this period end and a person can become a fully fledged member of the board) been placed in the dead letter office then I may not have been as motivated by renewable energy as I am now.

allan down under

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:07:02 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »
Allan;

I think you may be misunderstanding the point of the section. Not to force new folks into one area but to offer a place where folks who are very new to the whole concept to get their bearings with simple questions and not be accosted for not searching or asking often answered questions. Also a place to store answers to these common new person questions.

Nobody will be forced to post there based on age of their account.

Hopefully that doesn't confuse matters more. It is just another section and, like now, most will just post in "Home Brewed Electricity" anyway.

Sections here are so loosely enforced as to be pretty useless.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:29:59 AM by TomW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »
I kind of like the idea of the "newbies" section. But one thing that causes me concern is the possibilite of someone making a story in some other section. Then having ADMIN relocate it to the newbies section. Could affect the original story's auther as degrading. Like "why did my story" get moved to the newbies section. This could be away to sweep stories under the rug, keep then off the everthing page, let alone the front page, without having to delete them, which by the way is not a bad thing.

On the other hand, if someone humbly posted to the newbies section, I can't see the harm in it. Also those of us who are so-called "regulars" might be feeling extra patient on a particular day, and troll thru the newbies section, posting valuable links, and opinions. Perhaps even follow a newbie section story to help it evolve.

AS ALWAYS the Newbies(in the newbies section) would have to follow the 'caveat emptor ?) line of reasoning, should they be able to. the same thing that happens anyway, and im probably guilty of giving some less than perfect advice at times. They will have to accept, its more polite, to inquire basic questions in a space dedicated to that, intead of posing such questions as 'what to all you genious's think' on the current everything page.

Tom has a good suggestion. To my knowledge there is no "recent activity page" ,if one was created, it could balence out the feature of ADMIN moving any story to the newbies page(which does exist at this time). In-essence there would be 2 'everything' pages. One for 'recent activity' and one that passes muster on the 'everything' page.

I don't think someone should take the attitude that we have enough sections. If the newbies section exists, then its only proper a recent posting page exists. That way there could be balence oriented towards the new page, by a counter part. AND the everthing page moves up a notch, and diary's can still be off topic in 'good taste' :)  The recent activity page is heavily moderated by ADMIN. The same way the relation between the current front page and everthing page works now.

In that way the Board could have the best of all worlds.

If you just want to get to the good stuff and dont have patience for the 'recent activity' page, then you could view the 'everthing' page and get what you want at the time. On the other hand if you felt the need to help newbies you could go there and wade thru that. But this would be the readers choice.

This forum has moved forward a great deal in a democratic way. Thats what makes this site so special. A newbies page carries that spirt as an attempt to not delete storys. Im not suprised by it.

JW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:20:49 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »
Just to clarify, and not to complicate things :)

The newbies section storys, would not show up on the current 'everything' section/page...

But the 'recent activity' section/page, would have storys from all sections.

well at least in theory.

JW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:34:16 PM by JW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:32:47 PM »
The "Recent activity" feature is in the 'Menu' box on the top righthand side of every page.

My question is . . .

How will the Newbies find the Newbies section ?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:32:47 PM by wooferhound »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi Woof,

That only shows if your logged in and have a user name. Funny, never noticed that before. Perhaps if you could see that(recent postings) when your not logged in, it would be enough. Once a story is moved, most will automatically jump to the conclusion, that there story was deleted. If they could check somewhere when there logged out, and see there story in two places they might be more consoled.

Most newbies get all inspired with what they see, without having an account. Actually I never post unless Ive looked over the board without logging in. Unless I have forgotten to logout by accident and gone to bed.

Ive always missed that(recent storys link in the menu box). Thanks Woof.

Sorry about that Tom, Cheers

I want to point out that if a story or comment of mine is ever deleted, I dont, and have never had a problem with that. As I have said before, somebodys probably trying to do me a favor. :)

Best to all

JW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:54:32 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
Just poked my head in the recent activity link, not very impressed with it. Not as nice as an actual section. Just my opinion.

JW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:57:24 PM by JW »

vawtman

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 05:26:06 PM »
You know what in a special way we are all newbies just with differing ideas.

Axial flux built to perfection burns out

Motor conversion built to specs has loses

Blades built to specs break or rub.

Magnet rotors fall apart.

Vawts are junk and thats the way it is.

But can help with the simple things Maybe.An opinion from an old newbie.Not me still a baby.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:26:06 PM by vawtman »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 06:14:43 PM »
Woof;

My question is . . .

How will the Newbies find the Newbies section ?

Why, make it the default section in the dropdown, Thats what most use anyway.

Most posters don't even seem to try to choose a section for their story just leave it as "HBE".

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:14:43 PM by TomW »

jmk

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 07:21:17 PM »
 I think it is a great Idea. This will let people know when they didn't do enough research before asking. Plus now if it's not on the everything section offended advanced users wont see it to get offended. This will not discourage the newbies, and will possibly make more revenue for the host. If your not new and ask a question that goes to the newbie section it will let you know that your taking advantage of the board. Your question will probably still get answered anyway. I don't think anyone should take any offence if they end up in the newbie section. I think it should be fun. I think it's worth the try.        
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:21:17 PM by jmk »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 08:00:41 PM »
Agreed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:00:41 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 04:50:19 AM »
I like your Idea about making Newbies into the default Posting area

plus it will make the rest of us try to select the correct section to post in
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:50:19 AM by wooferhound »

scottsAI

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »
Thanks TomW for the idea.

People reply to posting, but not replying to my post so I don't see it. Sometimes I might just check it...

Your idea should let me see replies to older and newer stuff!

Have fun,

Scott.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:00:36 AM by scottsAI »

Photic

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
Great idea. I would have definitely used it when I showed up. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:22:27 PM by Photic »

coldspot

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 08:23:52 AM »
New section:-

"Newbies"

I'd been wondering how long it was here,

untill I figured out that it was only a day or so

that I hadn't seen it before.

I am all for this.

We all started as one sometime.

For the masters-

DanB-

Flux-

"Mr. Zubbly"-  (" "In honor of)

Commanda-

Nando-

Huge-

And the rest, (Don't be offended if your not on this stupid list !!! just my $0.02 and it's not worth even that !!! ).

The answers you have given and the time you've spent doing so are great gifts to the people that are willing to read them and learn from them.

THANK YOU !!!

"that ask the "obvious" questions"

I do this all the time for a reason,

For others to read and learn from.

I'll rethink that from now on.

I do have a degree in "Electrical Tech"

ISU 1987

But being that I got a better job offer after,

I never worked in the industry for more than a year so I'm relearning some and remembering some.

Anyway, this site is the place!

Nobody has to be here!

We come here because we want to.

We read what we want to.

We post if we want to.

So please remember that even the newbies might not feel good about your reply if worded badly.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 08:23:52 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

aegisxgundam

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 10:35:36 PM »
hi total newb here.  So basically any motor is a generator right?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:35:36 PM by aegisxgundam »

aegisxgundam

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »
*note not please answer with more than a yes or no
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:37:30 PM by aegisxgundam »