Author Topic: SCorman....  (Read 9471 times)

bob golding

Re: speed
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 02:55:19 AM »
yep those of us who cant play with turbines in town, where most of the high sped phone lines are are going to be off grid with the phone as well as the power comany. i am limited to gprs on my mobile phone. a bit faster tthan dial up but not much. i like things as they are. if i aint broke dont fix it.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:55:19 AM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
I'm obviously in the minority here but here's one data point for you. When I moved off-grid, I had three choices for internet, broadband off cell towers, broadband off satellite or no internet. Seems to me that power lines and phone lines tend to be in the same general vicinities and that a phone line strung a mile down someone's driveway with no power line would be the exception, rather than the rule. But perhaps my experience is different than others.

I think if you took a poll of the people actually using dialup or other similarly slow internet to access this site, you might find that they are not physically limited to slow speed as much as they are financially limited.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:11:44 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

bob golding

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
yep agree there, apart from not owning the place i live i would have to pay a lot of money for a phoneline and line rental as well as  still paying my mobile charges as well.  if i really need fast access i can always go into town and use the libary computers for free. so i am quite happy with a slow mobile connection using my phone and gprs, so i am content with things as they are.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:38:14 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

elvin1949

Re: SCorman....
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 10:08:47 PM »
 The only thing available here is dialup.

AT&T won't do any better.I am to far out in the boonies.Only other option's are out of my price range.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:08:47 PM by elvin1949 »