Author Topic: Nicaragua!  (Read 4340 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Nicaragua!
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »
I've not posted for a bit - we've been quite busy in the shop last few weeks and we've been getting ready for a 12 day trip to Bluefields Nicaragua, to help out/hang out/share ideas with the people who work with Blue Energy (blueenergygroup.org).

So yesterday George, DanF, Rich, and myself woke up early and took off to Denver International Airport.  We flew to Houston TX, and then to Managua in Nicaragua.  We spent the night at a house in what's said to be an 'upscale' neighborhood here... very interesting.  Shortly we'll leave to run a few errands (pick up a motor, find some resin, go to a hardware store) and then take a small airplane to Bluefields.  

The next week and a half we'll spend playing with wind turbines, looking at some ofthe problem here and hopefully sharing ideas.  I'll post about this and our other adventures every couple days or so - with pictures! Nice that they have wireless internet where we stay! (no pictures today)

A note to the editors... this should really go in diaries at this point but Im going to keep it in 'site news'  (or some place) because lots of friends and family will be watching and I don't think many of them would find it in diary.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:28:51 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

blueEnergy group

Re: Nicaragua!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »
We're honored to have the Otherpower.com crew working with us here in Nicaragua.  I'm doing a periodic blog on their adventures here from our perspective if anyone is interested in reading that:

http://socialedge.org/blogs/generating-blueenergy

Cheers,

Mathias

blueEnergy

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:43:38 AM by blueEnergy group »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:51:05 AM »
Danb

Nice !! glad to see you all arrived. Waiting for those pics.

You should be able to get some pretty good coffee there too:-).

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:51:05 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
Having just read BlueEnergy's comment on the burn out problem I wonder if the first thing may not be to try altering the characteristics for a higher wind area before trying to furl in lower winds.

I suspect that using a 12v machine on 24v could give far better results in a high wind area. If that is too drastic then a winding between the two may be worth looking at.

If there are long periods where they are reliant on low winds this may not be so good but if the main energy capture is in winds above 12mph I suspect a winding with less turns of thicker wire would be a spectacular improvement.

Probably too early for this sort of comment until Dan has been able to study the local wind conditions, but optimising for too low a cut in speed does really mess up the top end in terms of stator heat and top end power out.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:21:55 AM by Flux »

vawtman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »
Have fun Dan and crew.

Mark

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:28:36 PM by vawtman »

MattM

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
Enjoy the summer weather while we bask in this cold wave... brrrrrrrrrrrr.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:00:30 PM by MattM »

migla

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »
I'm really proud of you guys for stepping so far out of your 'comfort zone' here in the Buckhorn!  

Maya says "Nicaragua sounds fun; I want to go there sometime and see the howler monkeys."

We look forward to seeing more news about your trip!

M&M

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:16:41 PM by migla »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:59:59 AM »
Don't spread yourself too thin or get bogged down in bringing these folks out of the political doldrums .They have to deal with the learning curve in thier own good time .

Blue energy's goals are very lofty .
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:59:59 AM by tecker »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:09:05 AM »
Fantastic bloq thanks for posting
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 07:09:05 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

blueEnergy group

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »
Flux, we are prioritizing energy capture in low(er) winds and are willing to sacrifice the energy in high winds.

Cheers,

Mathias

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:55:20 PM by blueEnergy group »

blueEnergy group

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
We spread ourselves thin to help the people of Nicaragua... we give everything we've got.  It was a real honor having the Otherpower crew down there sweating along side us.  Nobody here looking for a quick fix.  Our goals are lofty for sure, but we're realistic about what it will take to succeed.  And we're committed to the long haul and putting in the sweat equity it takes.  As George likes to say - we're gettin' 'er done!

Cheers,

Mathias

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:58:27 PM by blueEnergy group »

ibeweagle

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »
should be able to use old magnets and put a fail safe measuring frequency of gen electronics to put more resistance in line or to switch to higher voltage battery bank to take the extra power will have circuit soon cheers ibeweagle
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:03:58 PM by ibeweagle »