Homebrewed Electricity > Site News

Are posts on commercial wind and solar acceptable?

<< < (6/6)

jonas302:
A $12 controller that comes with $100 free support isn't exactly commercial (:
Posts on million dollar wind farms or solar installs can be a good read it is nice to hear about them as ofcourse everybody wishes they could have one. But I would't come to the site if it wasn't for all the homemade stuff even if the post is about a airx or somthing it still is all doable without a million dollars
I think Tom is doing a good job there is never anything on here for long that seems like a waste of space I understand he gets fustrated reading every post keeping out spammers and scam artist advertisers keep up the good work

howlet:
The recent trend of fieldlines DIY RE projects seems to have taken on a very narrow focus on what is achieveable for the DIY enthusiest. If the project isnt a wind or sometimes water powered turbine,(not counting electronic controls), people are likely told to steer clear of that project.
I cant count the number of times that a new comer has posted an interest in fabricating thier own solar modules only to be told that they are wasting thier time and that they would be much better off buying COMMERCIAL solar panels.
Ive also read some very questionable statistics posted about the efficiency of module components that are readily available to the general public. What gets me is this information is perpetuated by individuals who have either never attempted to fabricate a solar panel or if they have, the method of fabrication is gauranteed to produce a module that will almost certainly expose the solar cells and wiring to elements that WILL cause the module to fail.
I have curtailed my postings about the modules that I fabricate, (according to industry standards), because of the negative feedback that is almost certain to show up from respected members of this forum.
The cost of machinery and equipment necessary to fabricate a DIY Wind Turbine from scratch is probably more than the cost of the equipment needed to fabricate a laminated solar panel. I purchased my laminator from an auction for $199.00 because nobody else bid on it. Of course there are other expenses but the same goes for Turbine or Alternator fabrication.
Once a shop and equipment has been procured, the cost of the module drops substantially. Your first panels arent going to be perfect, but they will generate the 18+ volts needed to charge a 12 volt battery. If you persue your goal, you will become a seasoned solar panel fabricator and if you so desire, you can submit your panels to UL for testing which can lead to marketing your product.JB

blueyonder:
 hi howlet.

looking at your photo files i see your doing sum nice panals.

you look like your well set up and got the room to do it.
   if it wasent for the laminating  part i would have a go at making sum.

with a wind gen if it gos wrong you can make new bits.

things like a prop a stator  or a new tail thats gone wrong with the

weather.

its a thing you can repair and rebuild time after time.

but if you make your own panels and thay go wrong  .
   how would i be able to fix it.

with the price good panels are selling at .i would love to make my own.

thay are a good way to get power. i already have over a 100 watts up and running.
    i try to save money where i can.  now if i could only make magnets like n42 grade.

i am busy with building a wind gen.
     but will give more thought to how i could make a solar penal thats reliable.

no i dont think your commercial .

just a guy who loves what he can do and make a few bucks at the same time.

shipping panels to the uk would cost more than the panels.

what a shame as i would like more.

tmcmurran:
Not that it is a good or bad thing, but some take the commercial route first only to gain an understanding of the concept prior to attempting the DIY method.  Without hearing of a commercial version I know many would not have considered RE.  Once they gain a grasp of the process then most will dabble in things in greater depth.  Like most things they all start and end with the DIY'ers.
I think they can complement eachother in some aspects.
Just my 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version