Author Topic: Alternator inspection and disassembly instructions  (Read 4922 times)

(unknown)

Alternator inspection and disassembly instructions
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
Hello all --

In our Wind Turbine User's Manual, we tell readers to contact us for details on how to fabricate the jacking screws and safely remove the front magnet rotor. Of course if you built your turbine from scratch you already have the tools and know how to do this, but some folks buy the completed turbine 'kit' from us and never had to go through this (somewhat) tricky and dangerous procedure.

So, DanB recently wrote a page that describes the procedure in detail for the un-initiated. It does have some good, new information about what to look for during inspection and maintenance, even if you already know how to take your alternator apart.

The new page is here:

http://www.otherpower.com/disassemble.shtml

Have fun with the wind --

ADMIN

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:27:25 PM by (unknown) »

fungus

Re: Alternator inspection and disassembly instruct
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
Looks good, don't see anything about setting the air gap right though? Seems pretty critical to me ..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:43:58 PM by fungus »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
nit
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »
"shouldn't EVERY get your fingers between the magnets"?

Otherwise a great job.  (Really ought to have a section on adjusting the gap.  Not just for mechanicals but also for cutin and stalling.)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:23:09 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

ADMIN

Re: Alternator inspection and disassembly
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »
Dan B wrote it. Dan F does NOT make typos like that one pointed out!

I'll take a look and see if I can expand on the airgap issue a bit for the revision.

Thanks all -- DAN F

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:19:02 PM by ADMIN »

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
Modified assembly and disassembly instructions
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Dan(s),

I would like to propose a slightly modifed approach to installing/removing the outer rotor that you have in your manual

As you have noted in your instructions "If it gets too crooked (cattywampus) it will bind up and damage the threaded rod".

To absolutely keep this to a minimum you can put nuts on three of the studs, if you are installing the rotor turn these nuts so that they are always near the outside rotor surface. If removing the rotor back them slightly away from the rotor as you are turning the jacking screws.

I used the technique this weekend and it made it far easier to control the rotor and would highly recommend it!

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:13:09 AM by dlenox »