Author Topic: New Ebook: Slashing Home Energy Costs  (Read 5410 times)

(unknown)

New Ebook: Slashing Home Energy Costs
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:53 AM »
Finally, a detailed book about energy conservation by an expert author who understands the math!

Far more than just 'use CF bulbs and turn off the lights when you leave the room," this Ebook is loaded with really interesting information....and covers electricity, gas, heating and ventilation, water heating, appliances...and great information on using a spreadsheet to find out the true savings from your conservation investments.

Author Peter Parsons contacted us about distributing this book because he was so irritated about the scam Earth4Energy Ebooks that are clogging the internet, compared to his which is loaded with real information. And, we liked it! And we hope all y'all will like it too.

You can check out the full table of contents here:

http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=201

ADMIN

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:54:53 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: New Ebook: Slashing Home Energy Costs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
Thanks!

After doing my own energy audit a few years ago, it's clear that managing your energy use is worthwhile and not that difficult.

A lot of people can become more conscious of their energy use, if only they learned how.  The stumbling block is the "magic" in the wall, and for some reason few of us learns how it really works.

I'm keen to get a copy myself.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:24:58 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »
Thank you for doing this,

Earth4Energy is a scam! fact!  They have stolen videos from youtube and plastered their name over them all claiming them to be their videos.

This looks like a good ebook, I may watch the $ and buy a copy when I have some more pennies.

Carry on the good work!

Regards

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:07:48 AM by Jon Miller »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
Hello Admin.

That sounds like a great read, and with your endorsment it will be a great seller.

May I offer a word of caution on the sale of Ebooks.

If it is really informative and of value, which I have no doubt it will be, have you any methods of safeguarding the illegal sharing of the Zipped PDF?

Password protection is not enough.

e.g. I could pay the $20 and then unzip it and place it on some file sharing site e.t.c, (obviously I wouldn't).

Or maybe some clever computer people here can suggest a better method of selling a PDF without the worry of illegal copies being shared, I'm not sure if this can be done.

However, with my occasional hippy hat on, I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing ultimatly however to share..

Ben.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:40:31 PM by gotwind2 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
Japanese teenagers are very enthusiastic about embracing new technology, even if its just to be trendy. They are an interesting study in human nature and their trends often pave a pathway that other societies eventually follow.

They had multi-function phones that were connected to the internet continuously since their major cities were early adopters of broad free WiFi coverage, long before other cultures.

Nobody wanted to buy a whole CD, when they only wanted a certain hit song. Japanese teens could download a new hit song for 99-cents onto their phone, which also acted as a music player.

There were experiments with pricing, and it was found that if you tried to sell a single song for $2, it was worth a teenagers time to de-crypt the copy-protection and send it free to all their friends. This was long before the "Apple Store" sold songs one at a time, which I believe was forced by the "Napster" evolution of enabling college students to copy songs in a very easy way. But for 99-cents? one hit song makes a million dollars without printing a single CD.

There is a program called "grabit" which allows anyone to copy whatever is on your screen. If you hand me a copy-protected disc or an encrypted PDF, I can bring up each page and "grab it", then put it into a non-encrypted non-copy-protected document that I can send to all my friends for free.

This is why publishers are only allowing their books onto a stand-alone format called the kindle. You buy hundreds of books online, and carry them on your kindle to read on the trains, planes, and automobiles. Inability to copy material and high prices of new hit books results in the Kindle being a vary poor seller.

I can buy a new book, and after I read it I can give it to a friend. One hundred people can read it after it is purchased only once. But if I purchase a half-price electronic version, I don't actually "own" it.

I might borrow a book from the library, but if its very useful as a reference, I will want my own copy. If the price is expensive, or they are simply no longer in print for sale, its worth it to some people to make a copy.

I have copied 5 books from the library at a Kinko's because they were not for sale anywhere. I had looked for 10 years for any book from a certain author, and finally found 1 of 6 at a used book store. I gave up, and copied the other 5.

When I was a kid, I made cassette tapes of only my favorite songs by holding a recorder up to the radio speaker. Quality was poor, but I was too young to have a paper route job yet (no money). Remember the Seinfeld episode where he went into new movies and used a video recorder from the back row?

If the info is valuable, and the price is very cheap, its not worth trying to copy it, or to live without it.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:37:07 PM by spinningmagnets »

kurt

• website
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
with any copyrighted material there will be some pirating hell there is a scanned copy of a famous wind power book floating around as a torrent some guy posted a link to the torrent here a few years ago and it was removed but you publish in hopes that the majority of people actually pay for your material and those that insist on pirating it there really is not much you can do about...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:18:47 PM by kurt »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
Just to be clear, I fully support artists and writers getting paid for their work. I also do not participate in any piracy.

I feel the "earth4energy" DVD's are only useful as a coaster to set my coffee on. Its just that I'm sad when I see a useful product that is pirated or left unpurchased from too high a price.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 07:53:38 PM by spinningmagnets »

ADMIN

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »
Copy protection of Ebooks is tough!

You can password protect the PDF with Adobe Acrobat, but any kid with a Linux box can crack it in under 30 seconds. The other option is encryption using commercial E-book creation software, but this is a hassle for the customer--the book can only be read on the single computer that it was purchased for. Can't move it to your laptop, your office computer, etc.

Amazon Kindle is a cool product and quite secure, but their integration with the publishing process is a sad joke. The Kindle won't take press-ready PDF files such as those used to publish books...the publisher has to back-port the document from press-ready back to Microsoft Word! No way we'll ever spend the time on that.

So our solution on the Ebook is to basically be hippies and trust everyone, but monitor for theft closely using Google and have the cease and desist letters ready to go. The shopping cart does limit the number of downloads and the time frame.

ADMIN

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:06:43 AM by ADMIN »

kwdaye

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 02:40:44 AM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:40:44 AM by kwdaye »