Author Topic: Inductrak experiment  (Read 233 times)

Kintar

Inductrak experiment
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »
I hope this is the right section to use for this post, as the section I was directed to from wondermagnet.com doesn't exist anymore. :)

I've been looking for an in-depth magnetics project to undertake with a good "gee-whiz" factor.  After reading the page on Halbach arrays over on wondermagnet.com and following the link out to the Inductrak maglev train, I think I've found it.  However, I still lack a lot of the theory behind magnetism, and I had a question I was hoping the people of the community could help with.  I'd also be curious in hearing about any maglev model train experiments anyone else has performed, with the exception of the overly-simplified (in my opinion, anyway) models that use bumpers to keep the trains on the track.

Anyway, my question is concerning the induction coils used in the track for the inductrak train.  Obviously, just winding a few coils around a steel rod or block of wood isn't necessarily going to produce a coil that will generate a sufficient field to lift the car.  So, I was wondering how to calculate the field strength that will be produced from the Halbach array on the car moving past the induction coil.

Any tips on where to look for this information would also be helpful.  Google has proven to be a bit too verbose for me on this search. :)

-- Kintar

« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 06:30:16 PM by (unknown) »