Author Topic: am I just crazy?  (Read 372 times)

JoeFromOh

am I just crazy?
« on: September 27, 2005, 04:21:16 AM »
About a week ago, this idea came to me while I was toying around with the halbach array on vizimag. I've given it about as much thought as I can but still I'm at a loss. check the image and then read on.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2556/pic1.jpg

It seems solid enough, to create an offset em feild below the rigs to have the top one to force both of them up. Before I waste my time and money, I'd like to see if I'm overlooking something obvious, or there just might be something here after all.

Any thoughts on why it should, or shouldn't work? It's pretty much a free floating device that can go over any type of material as long as the coils have enough power to overcome gravity's effects, much like air blowing out the end of a ballon, or a rocket.

Thanx-

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:21:16 AM by (unknown) »

crashk6

Re: am I just crazy?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 11:41:46 PM »
No your not crazy, it's second genoration maglev technology. Myself and others did research into it. The technology is currently patented by several companies including skytran which may just be the company to introduce any sort of main stream maglev to the US, they have an interesting concept in transportation that is more appealing to most folks in the US than a maglev train. But there are working first gen maglevs in Germany and Japan but due to the huge power demand an all electromagnetic system requires the second gen using a halbach array in the track or on the train will likely be retrofitted sometime later on.

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 11:41:46 PM by crashk6 »

JoeFromOh

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:02:32 AM »
Wow, so the idea works? or did they get stumped? If so I have an idea or two that I'm gonna keep under wraps until I get my own patent ;)

But anyhoo, a maglev system that I know of needs to be held up by magnets attached to the ground. This unit however, is not constricted by tracks on the ground. and if it works, can move freely over regular grass, water, and rock, even metal objects like railroad tracks without getting stuck. I hope I made myself clear last time, but I seem to have a knack for slightly mis-explaining myself.

Bleh

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:02:32 AM by JoeFromOh »

drdongle

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:16:46 AM »
Sorry I don't see it EM1 and EM2 could repel each other but how do you get both to levitate? against the Geomagnetic field? that would be a powerful set of magnets indeed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 06:16:46 AM by drdongle »

JoeFromOh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 07:06:54 AM »
By using electromagnets to form an offset halbach array. If you create the circlular halbach array, and then tilt the magnets downward say 20-40 degrees, it'll make the offset EM field below the EM1 rig. This can be the low powered part of the system. The EM2 will have to be the high powered part to lift both rigs and fight the lower EM field. EM2 will have the same configuration with tilted magnets to repel against the bottom field.

I think I explained it enough, if not please tell me.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:06:54 AM by JoeFromOh »