Author Topic: Recycled appliances  (Read 213 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Recycled appliances
« on: February 13, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »
My city, Calgary, Alberta, has recycling facilities scattered around town.  The paper & cans recycling bins are usually found in shopping mall parking lots.  People tend to abuse these places to dump their garbage, which it disgusting enough.  Abuse of these recycling depots will spell their end, eventually.

This morning, while depositing some cardboad in the bin I noticed an old microwave.  Thinking "Magnetron", I investigated and discovered that its innards had been totally removed.

That means that whoever dropped the microwave case nominally believes in recycling electronic components, but can't be BOTHERED to take the rest of the appliance where it can be properly disposed of.  There are many of those facilities in town, too.

Sadly, I expect there's some oaf out there who think's he's doing something productive, saving all these parts.  Actually he's leaving crap on our streets that city workers have to clean up.  The balance of karma isn't in his favour, IMHO.

That's enough ranting for today.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:26:04 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca