Author Topic: darius rotor profile  (Read 489 times)

jeroen

darius rotor profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 03:50:07 AM »
Hi every body,
I would like to make a small experimental darius type windmill bud I can't find some information about the profile of the blades and maybe some calculations  Can anybody help me out?

Thanks Jeroen
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 03:50:07 AM by (unknown) »

sean

Re: darius rotor profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 06:05:21 AM »
I made a small Darriues type vawt and its on my site if you want to see how i went about, norm a regular on the board built one similar to mine and i sent him a profile of the rib i used. I must stress though it wasnt the best shape so you might want to get a better profile of some body else. Certainly a lot of fun despite which way you go abou it, if want a copy of my rib then i will send it to you by email. Have fun.........sean
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 06:05:21 AM by sean »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 07:03:55 AM »
  Like Sean said there are better designs than his but it makes a good start on understanding the principals of the Darrius type of VAWT, try it you'll like it, it's amazing what something simple like a little bit of cardboard, plastic, glue and duct tape can accomplish. My original one is soon to be driving a small DC modelPM motor. Not much power...just enough to get you 'hooked' on VAWTs ! Have Fun (:>) Norm.    
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 07:03:55 AM by Norm »

monte350c

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 05:27:00 PM »
Hi Joroen,

You can get a nice (FREE) program called X-Foil to play around with wing profiles at: http://raphael.mit.edu/xfoil/  When the program loads, type NACA0015 (enter) then ppar and (enter) and it will plot the foil on screen. That's if you want to use the NACA0015 profile - there's lots of others to play with too.

Also, there's a lot of good reading on the Darrieus subject at the Sandia Labs site:  http://www.sandia.gov/Renewable_Energy/wind_energy/topical.htm just scroll down to near the bottom and check out the VAWT archives. They had good success with the NACA0015 profile, which you'll find is included in X-Foil

« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 05:27:00 PM by monte350c »

dirk

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 08:19:24 AM »
dag jeroen is je darrieus rotor al gelukt ik heb er pas een gemaakt met het naca 0015 profiel werkte fantasties. op google zoeken naar "coordinates naca0015" ik hoop dat je hier nog wat aan hebt groetjes dirk.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 08:19:24 AM by dirk »

jeroen

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »
Thanks everybody for the advice. I wil try to make a smal one!!

I am sorry for the real late reply but my computer got stolen so I was of the internet for a vew months

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 03:29:10 PM by jeroen »