Author Topic: So you want to build a waste oil heater, eh bunky?  (Read 251 times)

robotmaker

So you want to build a waste oil heater, eh bunky?
« on: December 19, 2003, 03:47:34 PM »
I was an old subscriber to the MEN (mother earth news) back when the rag first started.  This is where I learned about savonious rotors, digesters and a whole bunch of alternate energy stuff..  Well, I moved to Florida back in 1980, and really didn't need all that then, but now I live in Arkansas and let me tell ya...it's a bit colder here.  Well, still being into the alternate energy stuff, I got tired of cutting the tree, chopping the tree, splitting the logs, carrying the logs, stacking the logs, carting in the logs, burning the logs, and emptying the stove. Not to mention having to sit around in yer jockey shorts and having a boiling pan of water on the stove because you can't regulate the heat output worth a hoot without alot of expense and besides...cleaning the chimney isn't all that much fun either.  Well... along came the idea of making the waste oil burning stove.  Since I was already making my wood stoves out of old hot water heaters, I had a source for them.  I downloaded that brief article from the old MEN article and built my version of that stove. Let me tell ya, I'm STILL sitting around in my jocky shorts cause it gets so hot, but have learned a few things from it as well.  First, that burner design lends itself to oil being splashed out into the sand bed and it clogs up the holes in the burner. It doesn't go too long before you have to rip it apart and clean it up to get it working again.  The longer you let it go, the more fuel it uses and smokes like hell.  Well, I looked for other designs without any luck.  I saw a few variations on the subject, but for the most part found lots of professionally made devices for sale, but the price tag was way above what I wanted to spend.  I'm kind of a cheapskake when it comes to this stuff.  I figure if I can't build it out of bailing wire and bubble gum wrappers, it ain't worth building.  I have done a small windplant using a servomotor, but the wind quality around here is the reason my sailboat is still in Florida.  But I still like to tinker with it.  Seems that when you need the heat the most in the winter is when the wind starts to howl... (Imagine that) So now, when it howls, I put the output across some heating coils with a little muffin fan blowing the hot air out.  Anyway, back to oil...I came up with a much better design on that burner, but the only downside to it is that it needs forced air.  Want to know how many GM cars that are in my local junk yard without the heater motors in them now?  (Heh heh) They work perfectly!!!  This design starts up without smoking, and runs without smoking, and burns extremely hot.  The original intent of just sipping oil has been kept foremost in my design also.  I get my oil at the local jiffy lube for next to nothing, and with this design, am burning some old peanut oil in it too!  Smells so good you want to keep the door open.  

Bottom line is to see if anyone wants to share designs on this variation, and see if anyone else had trouble with that original MEN design, and if anyone else modified it?  you can reach me at robotmakr@aol.com  or.. i'll be watching this board.  

Thanx... rj
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:47:34 PM by (unknown) »

veewee77

Re: So you want to build a waste oil heater, eh bu
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 05:25:18 PM »
Robotmakr, huh?

I build robots, too, and am also into RE, and I also live in AR.

Wierd, huh?

I'd like to see your waste oil heater, or at least some plans for it. . .

May want to build one. . .

DS

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:25:18 PM by veewee77 »

wdyasq

Page 3
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 05:42:58 PM »
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

if one goes to the bottom of the article and reads the page 3 information, modifications to add the blower are commented on.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:42:58 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

drdongle

Re: So you want to build a waste oil heater
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 06:24:02 PM »
I built one of these back in the early 80's and experienced similar problems with the burner unit which I had to disassemble every few days and beat with a hammer to remove the baked in oil sludge. But did it keep the house warm!! It was the one thing that kept my first marriage together as long as it did! My then wife told me that it was the only time in her life that that house had been warm.

Dr.D

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 06:24:02 PM by drdongle »

Gordy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 10:08:39 PM »
 robotmaker,

I as well as others here ( I think ) would like to see some pics and plans of what you have working for you. If you have the time and don't mind sharing.

Thanks,

Gordy

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 10:08:39 PM by Gordy »

robotmaker

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 06:41:34 AM »
To answer DS, where in Arkansas are you?  I am in the Fort Smith area.  Maybe we should share a few notes.  

To answer Ron, I knew about the modifications to the MEN article, and yes, I tried that too.  That guy explained how he added a down tube and dripped the oil AND the air flow down to make it run hotter etc.  Yes indeed, it did burn hotter, I think I went one better and added a 6" deep cast iron vessel in the bottom.  I continued to get the clogging tho, and not only in the burner, but in the down tube as well.  I thought that the air should go UP from the assembly, not down into it.  The next modification I did was to make a burner assembly out of two electric motor casings, one 8" in diameter and one 6" in diameter that were about 8" tall.  I drilled about 16 - 1/4" holes in the inside piece about two inches above the bottom, placed one inside the other and welded it to a bottom plate.  Next, cut out a 1" ring and welded it to the top of this assembly. Cut a 1 1/2" hole to accept a piece of tailpipe near the bottom and use this to blow the air into.  Now the only way the air can get inside this weldment is to go thru the 1/4" holes.  Drip the oil in as before with the down tube extending to just about the top of this assembly, and  this thing heats up fast, burns clean, and sips fuel.  I still have a problem with buildup tho, and get a ring of unburned oil deposits all around the ring of holes, from the holes down to the bottom.  So I changed the design from holes about 2" above the bottom to holes at about 1/2" above the bottom.  I can also see that mild steel isn't going to last very long, so I scrounged a couple of motor cans made out of stainless steel.  The down tube keeps clogging up also, so I changed it to a 3" diameter tube, and now there isn't any clogging in the tube anymore.  But.. it STILL get residue in the bottom of this burner assembly.  How come I don't hear anyone ELSE complaining about this?  I will try and get some drawings posted as soon as I figure out what format I can put them in.  That is, if there is any interest...and I would like to see anyone ELSES attempts at getting this clogging phenomonen down to a minimum too..

rj

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 06:41:34 AM by robotmaker »

RogerAS

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 09:29:10 AM »
Hi

Stone County here, east end.

RogerAS

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 09:29:10 AM by RogerAS »