Author Topic: another distraction  (Read 336 times)

Bruce Downunder

another distraction
« on: April 08, 2003, 04:07:43 PM »

Does anybody know of a good book that is easy to follow in setting up and machining with a vertical mill.  Say, including using an indexing head Etc.

Oh, be cery careful of the quill feed on these. someone locked it off -and then tried to wind the handle ,  result , stripped quill feed gear housing -they are only made of  el-cheapo gun metal .
also when I scored this , there was no instruction book , anyone help in downloading one to me ,please.-I'll buy you a fosters!.

Thanks

Bruce
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 04:07:43 PM by (unknown) »

Crippy

Re: Another distraction
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 07:44:32 PM »
Nice :)  I've used a few different models of these mill/drills.  Emphasis should be on the "drill" part as the pedestals are nowhere near robust enough for serious milling operations.  It is very easy to over-stretch the capacity of these things and get some MAJOR chatter out of them.  The best advice for these is to keep the exposed portion of the spindle as small as possible, and lower the head as far down the pedestal as possible.  This helps a lot in reducing chatter.  Also, using small, 4 flute cutters and using them to make multiple passes, instead of using bigger cutters and fewer passes takes the stress off the pedestal too.

Looks like you have a nice little carbide cutter on it too  :)  A mill/drill is an excellent little piece of kit for light work.  Just be patient with it and it'll do a pretty good job for you.  I'd like to get one for at home too.  Either that, or a Shopsmith, as I've heard pretty good things about some of them too.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 07:44:32 PM by Crippy »