Author Topic: Referance to old board  (Read 699 times)

iFred

Referance to old board
« on: June 13, 2003, 10:31:52 PM »
Greetings guys, wonder if you could do me/us a favour. The old board had some interesting posts and information, I am hoping that you did'nt delete it. If it is at all posible, could you allow me or us to read (not post) the old message board to get some of the info from it and print it out for future referance.. even if just for a  couple of days to a week, would be great! there where some calculations that I have been looking for and cannot find anywhere, I know that they where there. Thanks again for every thing!
ifred.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:31:52 PM by (unknown) »

Brian

Re: Referance to old board
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 10:39:56 PM »
You still can access the old board. Just click on the "Old Board" link to the right of your screen!! It's read only, but all the posts can still be read. Brian
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:39:56 PM by Brian »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 11:34:44 PM »
I wish we still had the old board. I just spent 45 minuts with my one finger that types trying to post about the wind tunle I'm going to start and when i hit post all my time and effert was flushed down this new board syber #$%^&*(@# toilet this is very anoing. I don't Know if I can aford to waist my here to present an idea just have it diapear.

I know if this posts this time some will try to help me figure this new very unfreindly (do it right or goaway board out) But I don't speek computere jiberish.

If this works I'll just post my thoughts were the don't belong. Hope that doesn't bother you guys but it might be the only way i can participate.

I don't know what I did wrong.

Sorry about the ranting but I think this new board is trying to make me history.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 11:34:44 PM by Jerry »

Kevin L

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 05:40:12 AM »
More then likely the post was lost due to your server connection then because of the board.  You should always copy your post before sending to prevent this type of loss.  Just highlight your words. Then right click and select copy.  If you loss it just right click and select paste.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 05:40:12 AM by Kevin L »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 07:30:56 AM »
Seems like you're getting the hang of it Jerry!

The old board had its pros and cons.  One of the "cons"....  postings got pretty disorganized, there was no order it - old postings pretty much got lost.  Plus, it was a security problem (we had hackers get into our server multiple times through that board) AND...  it cost us a ton of band width!  

I think, once you get this figured out you'll like it - it's a much more powerful tool.  The photo upload feature and the ability to quickly search things under topics are real nice.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 07:30:56 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

elvin1949

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 08:44:26 AM »
calm down

it works

i am dumber than dirt

i figured it out

later elvin1949
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 08:44:26 AM by elvin1949 »

ADMIN

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 09:54:11 AM »
Yes, so far the new board seems much more stable than the old to us. The system logs are recording far fewer errors. Plus Scoop is secure, and we can recruit others to help us with admin and moderation....with the old board, you had to have root access to our servers to change passwords, look up user IDs, or delete messages.
CHeers
ADMIN

PS -- any suggestions for the "how to use this board" FAQs would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 09:54:11 AM by ADMIN »

Brian

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 11:40:41 AM »
Just a quick idea. I think I read somewhere of you guys possibly adding a feature that would allow only new messages to be seen. Many of the other forums I visit bump new posts to the top of the page. When a post or a new response is made, it gets bumbped to the top. This lets old unactive posts be moved to the bottom and keeps us from having to wade through a bunch of old posts to get to the active ones!!

And it may be easier to set up than the "only seeing new posts" feature. Just a though.....

« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 11:40:41 AM by Brian »