Author Topic: What is a diary ??  (Read 295 times)

Electric Ed

What is a diary ??
« on: June 02, 2003, 10:40:48 AM »
- - - what is the difference between a "diary" and a regular posting? At present I cannot see any difference.

I would think a diary should be a posting that I can edit, so that I can add items on a regular basis, for example, to document the design or construction of a project. Most other boards permit the poster to edit his/her own posts.

I also think the diary author should have some control over comments, so that the useless clutter submitted by the "attention seekers" could be deleted.

Without these features, I don't see much point in having these diaries.

Ed

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 10:40:48 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Good thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:46:54 AM »
the idea behind diaries was really more for folks to offer information about themselves - perhaps projects at time.  Not for questions... or even so much discussion.

Ive not seen much question/answer stuff there... so I guess its a little different than regular postings.

But your points are good one and perhaps we should think about making some changes to the diary section.

As with all  things, this board will constantly be going through little changes... several significant ones are in the works now.  Any ideas for improvements are valuable.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 10:46:54 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Brian

Improvement idea
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 06:24:31 PM »
How about an edit post option? I've not been here long, but I have wanted to go back and fix something in my posts numerous times.

One more thing that really bugs me.....isn't there a way to set it up so we don't have to use HTML to insert line breaks? It gets to be a real hassle to insert breaks for each and every paragraph over and over again.

Other than that, I enjoy this board very much. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 06:24:31 PM by Brian »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
line breaks and html...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 06:54:52 PM »
Brian - whenever you post a new story, or a comment, you have an option to pick the format.

The "Default" is html, but you can set it for plain text, or "auto format".

"auto format" will insert line breaks for you  - all you have to do is hit the return button.  It will also turn web addresses into instant links - and it will accept html if you want to use it.

Try that!  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 06:54:52 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Brian

HAHA
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 07:00:27 PM »
LOL, I didn't even notice that button. Thanks for the heads up!

Brian

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 07:00:27 PM by Brian »

John

Test topic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 02:22:34 AM »
How about a "test" topic for test postings, and give the poster delete authority and/or automaticly delete all "test" postings older than a set time?

John

« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 02:22:34 AM by John »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Edit queue
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 07:26:16 AM »
John;

I do believe there is an option that can be enabled that allows a story to go into an "editorial" queue that allows the poster of the story to edit it and allows for editorial feedback comments for a certain amount of time. It is fairly common on other boards I frequent. Perhaps Dan can ask Rusty about that one.

I do feel there are good and valid reasons not to allow editing of stories after they start receiving regular comments. Can't have people rewriting stories after topical comments have been made it wouldn't be fair /sane to allow that kind of revisionism.

I can't believe there is not an option to ignore a user who irritates you, either. Especially a user who can't be nice.

Just my opinions.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 07:26:16 AM by TomW »

John

Testing,testing,testing....
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 03:32:51 PM »
I was asking for one place where a poster can test the system and learn how to use it and then delete the test without clutering up the board with empty posts that just waste space and time. Is this a possibility?

John

« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 03:32:51 PM by John »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Gladly..
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 04:26:35 PM »
John;

If you want to I will gladly delete any post you make if you simply include the line:

Admin, test post, please delete.

Or if it simply says "test" in the subject.

If you just want to play around the diary section is a good place as it does not appear on the front page and anything goes there as its your personal space on the site.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 04:26:35 PM by TomW »