Author Topic: How to make New go away  (Read 470 times)

chuckh

How to make New go away
« on: July 09, 2003, 02:00:32 PM »
(This is not a rant, but I couldn't find a section for questions about how to use the board.)

How do I make the "New" on messages go away so I can tell what's New the next time I visit the site?    Most stories show new every time I visit even though when I read them there are no new messages in them. My browser allows cookies and the "new" goes away on other sites I visit.  And I can tell I'm logged in because "chuckh" shows in the user-info box.  Is there something else I need to be doing?

Chuck

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:00:32 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: How to make New go away
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 02:08:06 PM »
Chuck;

I had that but after i nuked my cookie for fieldlines it went away.

Perhaps your cookie is not working for some reason? I believe thats how the board knows whats up and what you have seen. BTW I will resection this to "Scoop" since thats the place for questions on using the site but its no big deal either way.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:08:06 PM by TomW »

chuckh

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 02:08:54 PM »
What the h**!  I just did a page refresh after posting my question and the "new" on the other messages went away.  Is that the secret?  Do I need to do a page refresh before exiting the board?  I have exited and entered the site many times before and the "new"s didn't go away until just now.

Chuck

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:08:54 PM by chuckh »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 02:15:21 PM »
Chuck;

Maybe your browser is using cached pages? I have mine set to always get the page fresh from the server in the preferences. Since you said "refresh" i figure you are using internet exploder so i can't help much I use Mozilla myself .

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:15:21 PM by TomW »

chuckh

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 02:18:46 PM »
Well, spoke too soon I guess. After scrolling down the page I see the "New"s are still there for the stories I've chosen not to read even after exiting and re-entering.

Chuck

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:18:46 PM by chuckh »

chuckh

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 03:00:53 PM »
I use Opera browser, but you are right Tom.  Caching is on and the "check modified" setting was for 5 hours.  I went to another site and I could see the screen flash after reading a message so they must be forcing a refresh to erase the "new".  Just never noticed it before. I've changed the setting to always "check modified" and works okay now.  Thanks a lot for the help.

Still have the situation where the stories I choose not to read still say "new" when I leave the board and come back.  That's usually about half of them so it's a bit of a pain to have to reread all the subjects again each time.  Does your's clear all the "new"s when you leave and come back?

Chuck

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 03:00:53 PM by chuckh »

Wolfie1

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 05:27:09 AM »
Chuck, if you go into a story the 'News' go away. If you don't want to read the story, close your eyes while the story loads and then, while covering the offending areas of the screen with your hand, hit the back key. A page refresh will then remove the 'New' ;)

Martin.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 05:27:09 AM by Wolfie1 »