Author Topic: IRC Change  (Read 354 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
IRC Change
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:18:53 AM »
Folks;

There has been a few issues with our IRC server getting redirected to another server.

There is a new way to get to the IRC. The new address is

irc.anotherpower.com #otherpower

or by IP#

65.166.58.15 #otherpower .

Hopefully this mixup will be fixed and things will settle down to where they were before but from now on you can get there with the above 2 addresses.

DanF, could you edit the page for IRC here to reflect these changes? Thanks.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 08:18:53 AM by (unknown) »

Wolvenar

• Anotherpower
Re: IRC Change
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 02:06:38 PM »

Well Tom , you can be politically correct here, but I am a a lot less reserved.

Its pretty sad that JimU is so unstable and makes rash decitions like that any time get starts on his rum and something does not go his way. Though its not surprising since this is far from the first time he has done this. Of course Jimu has his reasons, all of which are pretty childish. Very funny that nobody but Jimu is allowed to talk about off topic issues (like his job and house woes, or maybe his work bench or new saw?). JimU has blamed a few regulars which include myself, and any other ppl that do not share his political beliefs. Plus has made reference to the fact he didnt get auto ops (though he just needed to enter a command).

Lets be sure not do this sort of stuff at this IRC, we now have the example of how NOT to run it. The IRC should not be self serving as it turned it out to be with Jim in control, Like you have put it Tom its the users IRC. I for one am sick of worrying about when hes gonna get pissed off next.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 02:06:38 PM by Wolvenar »
Check out  http://www.anotherpower.com/
for a gallery of RE related pics and more

aomoore3

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 09:40:14 PM »
Well, I won't advertise any links or server IPs, although someone probably should, but I'd like to stick up for Jim, as I think he's well intentioned at least.  The frequent Bush/America bashing and occasional lower-level discourse going on were outside of the intended scope of the channel, which, as I understand it, Jim ran well for a long time.  In any event, the split seems to have taken place mainly along political lines.

Jim has the right to redirect the IP if he thinks that's the way to fix the problem.  Other people have the right to advertise one server or the other as they see fit.  I hope that everyone can get back together -- and that if we do, the conversation is maintained in such a manner that the RE discussion may be enjoyed by all, as was the channel's original purpose.  If we don't all get back together, the split will probably continue to be along political lines, so use the server/channel which best represents your leanings for best results.  :-)  Everyone is certainly on their best behavior lately.

Alton Moore

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 09:40:14 PM by aomoore3 »

RatOmeter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 06:38:37 AM »
I think you've some points there, mostly as applies to Jim having the right to do anything he wants with the hostname 'otherpower' since he's got it registered at no-ip.com/dyndns.org.

As far as political or other 'off-topic' conversations, I'll have to say it's human nature.  You get a bunch of people together, whether it's in a your home, a newsgroup or an IRC channel, eventually the conversation will wander.  If you don't like it and its your home, you can ask your guests politely to avoid such talk or even to leave if they're particularly unruly.  Likewise with your IRC channel or a moderated newsgroup. The occasional "Let's leave the politics out of it" or "Dave, we don't care to hear about your online dating stuff (trust me, we don't)" should keep things from getting out of hand.  At least it'll let people know where you stand. If it gets untenable, the offending parties could be kicked from the IRC channel. BTW, being kicked usually means you can immediately rejoin the channel...  maybe with a clue about what not to do/say the next time.

I have lurked or participated in many forums over the years that include the habitual flamers at sci.electronics.design (some professionals there, geeze) to the frenetically crying and shouting babies at slashdot. I've found that the only online forums that stay completey on-topic and never include anything that might upset or ruffle the feathers of any persons are those that are fully moderated (meaning nothing gets posted that hasn't been reviewed by a moderator first).  I'm here to tell you, that kind of forum or medium is of only a limited value and usually quite boring.

I guess the reason I'm replying here is that (a) I didn't see anything on the channel that was upsetting; the off-and-on annoyance, sure.  WRT Bush-bashing and etc, hey, I voted for Bush. You know what? I don't think there's the proverbial snowball's chance that either Bush or Kerry could or would do diddly-squat to help or hinder the outlook of RE. That, my friends, is up to you and the other fed lawmakers that you elect.  

(b) I recall only a few instances where someone tried to get things back on topic in IRC.  At least once or twice was from Tom, saying something like "and that involves RE how?" Let's say Jim isn't live on the channel often enough to keep things going his way...  I think it's legit to drop a comment in-channel to the effect of "I don't like the way things are going around here.  If we can't keep it on-topic and apolitical, then I may decide to direct the otherpower channel to a different host."  As it went, it's like the kid who puts his marbles back in the bag and takes them home with no warning, game over.  Didn't even get a chance to let him win a little.

(Cutting a wide swath, now) it's funny how some fellers can reach a certain maturity of age and still act like petulant children in public.  At least I can send mine to their rooms.  Maybe the IETF guys can come up with an RFC for "Internet time-out".

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:38:37 AM by RatOmeter »

jacquesm

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 01:01:14 PM »
A few observations regarding the move of the IRC channel to a new server:

Jim has run the channel well for a long time, that's true. But that was quite a while ago, and the only contributions I have seen from him have to do with drunken rants about firewood, mortgages, politics (yes, he starts those rants, and when they don't go his way he gets mad) and working overtime. Not that I mind, but to hijack a server that's meanwhile due to lack of interest from the original 'owner' being run by other, appearantly more interested parties because you don't like the conversations going on is childish at least. It's typical of strong proponents of any political administration that they prefer to shut down communications instead of arguing the facts, be they American or otherwise. IRC channels, and most other communications media are there for their users, not for their owners.

I'd personally rather have the dissent and discussions out in the open, we might learn something that way.

From what I can see the move seems to have backfired more than just a little bit, the channel is as active as ever, on the new server - and the old one has 'jimu' sitting on his own in a totally dead chatroom.

Too bad, to me a chatroom is like a livingroom. Occasionally things will come up that lead to heated discussions, which is fine with me, as long as people keep their tempers to the acceptable. If you can't do that you do not usually have a place to hold on to. And owning the domain is a far cry from running the server, it means you run the naming system, but not the house. It's a bit like changing the street sign in an otherwise active street because you do not like what's going on in a bar in that street.

As far as Mr. Moore's comments are concerned, they seem to be more along political lines than anything else, since from what it looks like the 'original' irc channel is now running on his machine. Other than that I do not recall mr. Moore making any contribution either here on fieldlines or on the irc channel that had anything to do with Renewable Energy.

Republicans, Democrats ? It really doesn't matter. Try to get along and try to recover some of the prestige that America had less than 4 years ago, it will do a world of good. And don't let politics destroy your friendships, it's really not worth it. It breaks the country in two roughly equal halves and that is not a healthy future.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 01:01:14 PM by jacquesm »