Author Topic: text?  (Read 507 times)

BrianK

text?
« on: February 11, 2004, 01:19:21 PM »
Hello I just rebooted my puter now my text is real small on this site Is that something that otherpower has done or is it me?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:19:21 PM by (unknown) »

Gordy

Re: text?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 01:26:48 PM »
Brian,

Thats you. With window look at the top of your screen and click on view, put your curser on text size another little box will open. Click on the text size you want.

Gordy

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:26:48 PM by Gordy »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 01:44:31 PM »

What Gordy Said!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:44:31 PM by TomW »

BrianK

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 02:14:02 PM »
ok got that much fixed now I just need help to get the bolder print like I had before
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 02:14:02 PM by BrianK »

RatOmeter

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 02:40:59 PM »
It's been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting to get a different result.

With Windows, you can do the same thing again and again and get a different result each time.  Does this mean Windows is insane?

-RatOmeter

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 02:40:59 PM by RatOmeter »

knight4713

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 03:15:50 PM »
no, where windows is concerned, There is a new definition...

Doing the same thing again and again and expecting the same results each time!

Or maybe that is the cause and not the definition???

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 03:15:50 PM by knight4713 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
text size change more scumware?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »
   Ah....I see you must have been 'reading the comics' ...Dilbert in particular...

It's very possible that a new version of some parasite has popped up...Which I've been meaning to ask about...

It's really not that much off subject when you consider some may be plagued by these to a point of paranoia...where they are fearful of security to a point were they are afraid to order anything on line. It seems like I am 'out of the woods' now    but perhaps some of us may be having the same trouble I had.....got a couple of good links maybe some of you have also....stupid bugs....virus...scumware....BAH!   UGH! Norm.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:20:29 PM by Norm »

Homebrewed12vdc

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 04:27:50 PM »
Rat,

I think your rite there, I use LINDOWS OS personally, the stability of linux with a windows style desktop cant beat it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:27:50 PM by Homebrewed12vdc »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 04:58:09 PM »
   Homeb: I sure wish I knew more about Linux and Lindows maybe my next computer will have it instead of Windows which every hacker in the world keeps taking pot shots at like shootin fish in a rainbarrel so to speak...

I'm getting tired of all these stupid crashes and fatal errors!!!

Norm.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:58:09 PM by Norm »

BrianK

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 06:35:43 PM »
I kinda know what you all are talking about my puter just got back last week It crashed and I lost everything. I had to have it completly whiped out and totally reinstall windows because of some crappy virus thing that was laying around and decided to wake up all the sudden PARDON THE LANGUAGE
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:35:43 PM by BrianK »

monte350c

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 07:19:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

Couldn't resist commenting here.

For me a computer is a much needed tool - I don't really want it as my main hobby (though it has been an interest for years)

If you're going to stick (or be stuck with) MS operating systems here's my obsvervations for what they're worth.

I think the best that MS has is Windows 2000. Just load it, update with Service Pack 4, install a good virus scanner and keep it up to date, and run a firewall like Zone Alarm. It's very stable and well sorted out.

I have been through all the AWFUL stuff from MS: Windows 3.0, Windows 95, Windows ME... great but I was wearing out my keyboard with the "three finger salute".

I've tried XP but don't like it...

This installation of W2K is about as good as it gets from MS. The box I'm working with now has been on for about 40 days now without a restart. That's not uncommon with W2K.

I have another box with RedHat 9.0 on it and it's really good, shows Linux has come a long way. But there are still issues. A lot of the software I use on a regular basis for work doesn't have equivalents in the Linux world yet. And there are some funny non working items in the base OS.

I would love to see the day when a Linux distro really can do everything I need - I'll be switching - but not till then.

Just my less than 2 cents!

Ted.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 07:19:49 PM by monte350c »

Homebrewed12vdc

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 07:33:01 PM »
Ted,

Check out www.lindows.com they have all the rite stuff, and its a lot chaeper thatn MS crap, I used to run w2k and liked it but got tired of computer crashes due to virus, the security that comes with linux and the ease of lindows make it worth it, and be3sides you can run some MS programs on lindows like Office 2000 I am using on my lindows. Give it a try, you can buy a basic lindows computer for about $250, or the software to convert yours even cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 07:33:01 PM by Homebrewed12vdc »

zbotrobot

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 07:53:07 PM »
I use Windoz 98 which runs almost flawlessly on my older IBM laptop, So it is also the hardware that has a lot to do with stability. However I refuse to use Me 2000 or xp. Its idiodic that a big company would make such crap UNLESS they wanted to have planned obsolecence, which is what it is. I had a look at redhat 9 Linux (free of course downloaded) And The only reason I dont use it is because of musical programs I use. It has the gimp for graphics and openoffice.org for translation creation of worddocs. Linux is really good and getting better. linux rocks. On windos I backup a copy the entire registry when everything is woking they way its supposed to with the windows regedit function, adding the backup .reg file makes everthing the way it was. I also use this little rare program called rtools, allowing a easy controlled restore of everthing from dos at win98 boot up. Get a cheap harddrive and at least check out the newer linuxes, by switching at boot or by changing harddrive you can always go back.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 07:53:07 PM by zbotrobot »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 09:35:07 PM »
   I have windows 95 and I just recently got AVG 6.0 to take care of the virus part and then Spybot Search & Destroy for the parasites they're both free but the latter would like to have suggested donation of $10 which for what it has done in my case,really is not unreasonable Both can be updated whenever you wish. I really don't have much to lose on this computer almost 10 yrs. old ..

As I understand it the biggest problem is the browser...Microsoft Internet Explorer it's been suggested that switching to a different browser is advisable...plus being security wise.

Hope this helps someone....I'm not that smart when it comes to computers...well...anything else for that matter.....Norm.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:35:07 PM by Norm »

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 05:58:14 AM »
I've had win 98 se on the old computer dammed thing was allways acting up no matter what I did or who I got to help me with it.

I have a new one with XP, (with antivirus and spy/add ware running) and it's acting up to. The biggest problem now is that we have the computer set up with two user accounts. My side works, but on my girl freinds side the Internet Explorer won't hook up to the net. When it tries (for a minet or so) the screen will change saying "cannot find server - microsoft internet explorer"

Any ideas what's up with that??

While I'm asking for help, I have tried to print some of the wiring scematics, if they are 3/4 the width of the screen or larger the print will be cut off. What I'm asking is how do I resize the image to make it fit on the paper? I can ajust the margines but thats not always enough.

Thanks,

Gordy

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 05:58:14 AM by Gordy »

Gordy

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 06:05:27 AM »
P.S.

Why has'nt there been a class action law suit against MS? It's well documented what kind of CRAP they make and the problems assosiated with it.

Gordy

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 06:05:27 AM by Gordy »

RatOmeter

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 06:11:41 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 06:11:41 AM by RatOmeter »

RatOmeter

Re: text size change more scumware?
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 06:17:46 AM »
That sounds very Dilbert-like, but no, that 'definition' has been around for quite a bit longer than Dilbert.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 06:17:46 AM by RatOmeter »

Wolfie1

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 06:53:53 AM »
Because they (like other software) have a user licence that we all accept on installation that states that we wave all usual rights to quality, reliability etc.

Martin.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 06:53:53 AM by Wolfie1 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 04:58:44 PM »
   I'd seriously consider changing browsers Gordy on both computers.

What kind of printer and program are you using when you try printing these wiring schematics?

Norm

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 04:58:44 PM by Norm »

Gordy

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2004, 10:47:49 AM »
Hi Norm,

What browser would you recemend? I tried Netscape on the old one that realy screwed things up.

The printer is a HP psc 1110 All in one (printer,scanner,copier). By program do you mean the OS it is MS XP .

Gordy

« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 10:47:49 AM by Gordy »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
Hi,

I don't understand people complaining

about GNU/linux systems being difficult to use.

If you'll use a kde desktop you see almost no

difference to win98.

It is true that

there are more applications for win.

But there are good graphics programs for GNU/linux,too.

Especially GIMP and xfig.

Also programs to draw circuits etc.

Browsers besides IE are the same.

If you'll use 'Openoffice'

it will do almost

the same as M$ office.

And it costs almost nothing

and works much more robust.

If you insist using win programs

with GNU/linux you can buy such a program,

which makes them to work.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:31:12 PM by hvirtane »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2004, 03:06:21 PM »
   Netscape is what I was going to recommend...

All I can tell you is that I was having all kinds of problems, until I got AVG 6.0 to take care of the virus part and then Spybot Search & Destroy for the parasites just reading the help part of these two programs is very enlightening. It's all about being security wise...and watching what you download even the most well meaning programs can unknowingly trip you up. Some of my wife's programs has parasites that Spybot Search & Destroy found but I've left them stay because they haven't been causing any problems and if they did ....well I think I'd rather learn how to get along without a computer.....

I couldn't hardly believe how many parasites were infesting my computer, I would have never been able to find all of them and eliminate them manually.

It's up to you if you want to try Spybot or not...what worked for me might not work on yours...I don't know  ....but hope I have been of some help to you.  

The second best thing you could ever have is a copy of the registry when everything was working right.

The first best thing is having a full backup of the whole thing when you got it and everything was working perfect. You can always replace a hard drive.....

Norm.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 03:06:21 PM by Norm »

Gordy

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 01:27:51 AM »
Thaks Norm,

I have Spy Killer installed now and Norton anty virus. Today a freind suggested running two different programs of each type. Thats what he does so if one does'nt catch something the other will. He also recomends Spybot S&D.

I also tried to restore the system to before the problems started, but no luck.

Thanks again,

Gordy

« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:27:51 AM by Gordy »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 09:19:16 PM »
   Got this on hotlist let me know how it works out...ever went to ....

http://www.annoyances.org/ ?? they can be helpful.....Norm.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 09:19:16 PM by Norm »