Author Topic: Multiple windmills on a single tower any info?  (Read 346 times)

Gus

Multiple windmills on a single tower any info?
« on: February 06, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »
Has anyone tried multiple wind gennys on one tower? The gennys I would like to use have no slip rings and a 58 inch diameter rotor. I will also be using #10 so cord down the center of the tower. I would think stacking them vertically would be best. How about distance between rotor tips so each mill gets fresh wind? Any help or experiences would be great. Thanks  Gus
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 01:16:07 PM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re: Multiple windmills on a single tower any info?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 09:14:06 PM »
Hi Gus

I don't have multipul gennies on one tower but I do have 10 gennies on the roof of my retail car stereo store. Its a flat roof wich is about 12 feet off the ground and the gennies are mounted on 10 ft.  of 1.5" EMT conduit.

The roof mesure 52 ft. X 60 ft. They all seem to get along just fine and as a matter of fact I'm planing on a total of 20 gennies on this roof.

I've seen over 150 amps comming into one battery bank from 4 Garbogens on the strong wind days. On milder wind days see the amp meter holding at 60 amps. This is 4 of the 10 the others are charging other battery banks. 1 of the gennies is a SW-403 and 1 is a Hornet I don't get much from these two.

See pics of the store and the 10 gennies on airheads below.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:14:06 PM by Jerry »

Gus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 10:07:09 PM »
 Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. How far apart are your rotor tips? Do you find that the

mills in front (toward the wind) are spinning faster than those in the rear?

Basiclly do the downwind mills get a slower wind speed therefore producing less

power and the mills up front spin noticably faster?

Thanks again,

Gus

« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 10:07:09 PM by Gus »

bruce

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 09:28:20 AM »
     I was thinking of doing the same thing, since I am limited to one tower by the boss...........my wife. Anyway, when I get off this computer I am heading out in the shop to work on my latest idea, of mounting 2 PM motors on the same platform, and running them both with my 13' rotor at a 2 to 1 ratio. I have all the parts now, and by the end of the wkend I'd like to have it mostly finished. I could be going down the wrong path, but I've got the parts and its something I've been wanting to try. If I have a good layout, then I can change ratios and blades and such. Time will tell. If this fails I may go with something like what you are talking about. I hadnt thought of stacking them vertical, that makes much more sense, and if you would link the 2 so that they turn together, you could just diode them at the motors, hook them together up at the top, then have one set of wires running down the tower. Dang, I wish I'd of thought of that before I started down the path I'm on. Oh well, thats how we learn.

If you do a stacked method, I'd be very interested in knowing how it works out.

Good Luck, Bruce

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 09:28:20 AM by bruce »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »
Hi Gus

One thing that helps none of these gennies are over 49 inches tip to tip with one exception the Hornet its 62 inches.

The spacing varys do to stuff on the roof (airconditon unit and ducts and such) I'd say the closest tips are 6 feet apart. There loction dose not seem to effect there speed that much. I think the building has more effect than the gennies besides each other. The building has an effect on the direction from wich the wind comes. We will get either wind from NE(dry)or SW (wet).

The gennies behind spin just as fast and sometimes faster?  JK TAS Jerry

PS I have always wished I had a live video camera conected to the web so you guys could see the SW403 and the Hornet at dead stop while at the same time the home brew gennies are spinin like crazy.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 10:07:00 AM by Jerry »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 11:27:52 AM »
Have you seen this?

http://www.wintec4nature.com/

What do yo think about the idea?

I've seen aproject in Finland utilizing a car

rear axle on the top of the tower

and two rotors for the wheels.

No details about that turbine yeat, because

the project is not finished.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 11:27:52 AM by hvirtane »

RayW

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 01:58:58 PM »
Looks kind of complicated......

RayW
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 01:58:58 PM by RayW »

converseur

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 09:36:39 PM »
Bruce,

Why not an attractive free standing tower to charm your boss? Your boss would get along with mine. l'm also allowed to have one freestanding  40' tower.(l live on a large remote lot near a 250 acres city park on Montreal Island,  2.5 millions citizens).l have on it an old huge restored home made genny restored. l got it off an old abandoned hydro mill own by my best friend grand father. lt took 2 years to restore it. The neighbourgs find it cute, but they do not know that lt saves me $600.00 a year on my hydro bill by charging a large industrial battery bank which powers 2 Traces 2412.

l acquired an awsome remote acreage in the Okanagan Valley in BC. l'm thinking about building a 50' or 60' 4 legs free standing tower that would accomodate between 4 and 6 gennies. l will have an anvantage that l do not have in town. We are currently living in Montreal Quebec, and l will take a year off at work and away from my boss to make  a road, install a septic system, secure water, build a freestanding tower and a log cabin... a consuming year! l will begin with the free standing tower on 4 legs because (it will hold up a 2000 gallons water tank)l need power for a trailer load of power tools.  

l read a very interesting comments on this discussion board by Signweel a pro who had built a few freestanding tower that would surely kinder your interest  ... Converseur

www.fieldlines.com/story/2003/10/15/202013/45).

``l see you are considering another "mast & guy wire" tower.  A lot of poeple use them very sucessfully and they are'nt too much money. Have you thought about a freestanding tower? I think a lot of people think they are too expensive and not a homebuilder kind of project. Ive made several over the years. If your only looking for 35 feet or so you can fab one ouf 1-1/2 angle iron. around here a 20 foot piece retails for about $25.00 and wholesales to the trade at about 1/2 of that. If you weld, its not really much of a job to build a 40 or 50 foot 3 leg tower and you can hindge it up on a couple of 1/2" bolts on "stub legs" buried in 3-4ft of cement.

If you dont weld, a 4 leg is easier. Think of it as a giant erector set kind of thing. It can be drilled and bolted together with a little paitience and persistance.

I dont know why I dont see more homebuilt units on freestanding towers? A few years ago I built a nice 41 footer out of 1-1/2" pipe (3 leg) and 3/16" x 1-1/2" flatbar bracing.It currently stands proud at our local town hall as a antenua tower.

Im just starting 2-50 footers out of 2"x2"x1/4" angle. I'll post materials cost when done. have fun... signweld``.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 09:36:39 PM by converseur »

bruce

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 08:20:45 AM »
     Interesting. Unlike my wife, I think a wind farm in our back pasture would be beautiful, but as long as it is view from the house, she thinks one is all she will tolerate. She wasnt crazy about the first one, but she knew I was set on building one, so we compromised with one.

I built mine out of one 42' piece of 3" pipe, about 1/4" wall thickness, I think they called it 'water pipe'. I guyed mine, and put in a gin pole and a pivot on the 42' tower at the bottom, a plentifully deep and wide concrete base. It works awesome. And really, I think it looks cleaner since there is only one pole sticking up, and from the house and the road, you cannot see the guy wires.

I do enjoy seeing the water pumper style towers, the 4 legged ones with the criss-cross strap metal. I grew up with one that supplied water for the house and the cattle, until we got a submersible, then the mill was just for the cattle.

My design came along well yesterday, and I'm pretty convinced it will hold up very well, I just hope the combination of blade/motors/ratios is a good match. I need to bring the tower down and take off the existing parts off to complete the one I'm working on. Its cold out there and lots of snow, I will probly have to take the tractor out there. Thats OK, we need the moisture.

Later, Bruce

« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 08:20:45 AM by bruce »

Gus

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 08:45:39 PM »
   TO ALL,

Thanks for all the comments.

Gus

« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 08:45:39 PM by Gus »

websterbrothers

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 11:26:05 AM »
Hi buddy this is our first time posting to the forum (me and my brother) we have 1 AirX and 1 Air 403 on a turntable down here in Guyana S.A we've now taken it down to do the Pulse charger tingie we've been reading about on this forum i can provide you with some more pics if you'd like close ups and all

« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 11:26:05 AM by websterbrothers »

websterbrothers

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 11:30:18 AM »
Hi again guys can anyone give me the circuit diagram of the pulse charger i.e a working one i'm not sure where to locate it if any is on the forum a heads up in the right direction would help cuz i'm just starting out
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 11:30:18 AM by websterbrothers »