Author Topic: Suggestion for pics  (Read 403 times)

johnlm

Suggestion for pics
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:01:18 PM »
I realize many folks have nice multi-megapixel digital cameras which take nice LARGE detailed pics.   However when posted they do not fit the normal screen format.  The posting suggestions say to use smaller (640X480 or maybe 800X600 pixel) pics.  I assume many folks dont have (or dont want to take the time to use) a picture viewer / manipulator program.  I downloaded a nice free-ware pic viewer program some time back that has many capabilities including reformatting pics to whatever size you want as well as many editing and effects capabilities.  The program is called

IrfanView and can be found at

www.irfanview.com

Please consider using this program to make your posts more readible.

In memory of TomW

Johnlm

« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 10:01:18 PM by (unknown) »

Matrix1000

Re: Suggestion for pics
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:33:06 PM »
Hi, to post pictures full size after uploading them to the board, just click the "Insert Picture" button.

In the HTML code that is automatically placed in the Comment: box just delete "width=80%" and your picture will be posted full size :)

(for those that didn't already know :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 10:33:06 PM by Matrix1000 »

ADMIN

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:14:53 AM »
Coming here SOMETIME will be some software that re-sizes pictures automatically. It's some serious custom code, though, but we are working on it. We have ImageMajick installed on our servers now, and that was the first step. It's a command-line image program that can be called up from a PERL script.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:14:53 AM by ADMIN »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 11:25:19 AM »
matrix;

Gee thanks. Did you perhaps consider that the code is there for a reason?

Uploading megabyte pics in monster sizes is pretty unfriendly to the large portion of users on dialup and full sizing the pics really messes it up for folks who don't use 23" studio monitors like myself on this laptop.

T

« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:25:19 AM by TomW »

bill541

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:18:47 PM »
Just my two cents here...

I try and keep all pictures under 50K if possible. The problem I have with automatic resizing is it can really destroy circuit diagrams. For the most part GIF immages work great for diagrams and other low color resolution immages.

Automatic Jpeg compression of bitmap immages would be a good thing.

Maybe if you could trigger the software based on file size and resolution, rather than just on resolution alone.

Perhaps if you treated all pictures the same and made thumbnails out of them, then the reader could expand them if desired.

My machine is on a very small diameter hose here (26,400 if I'm lucky), and I can appreciate any effort to control the immage loading times.

-Bill-

P.S. My hat is off to you for having one of the best run and easiest to use forums around. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:18:47 PM by bill541 »

jacquesm

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »
if this server is on a linux box (or some other *nix) then you could try the folloing 'postprocess' script to auto-resize uploaded images:

#!/bin/sh
djpeg $2 | pnmscale -xres=480 | cjpeg > out.tmp.jpg
mv out.tmp.jpg $2

chmod 755 on the file and stick it somewhere where the webserver can see it in it's path or provide an absolute path. Depending on how things are set up the djpeg, pnmscale and cjpeg commands could need absolute paths as well.

that should do it.

pnmscale is part of Jeff Postkanzers' 'pbm' package and is pre-installed on many machines, djpeg and cjpeg are standard tools, but if you don't have them simply download jpeg-6, make and make install and they will be placed in /usr/local/bin

regards

Jacques.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:32:03 PM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 10:33:08 PM »
sorry for posting this twice, that was supposed to be 'plain text', there goes my formatting, on error retry :

if this server is on a linux box (or some other *nix) then you could try the folloing 'postprocess' script to auto-resize uploaded images:

#!/bin/sh

djpeg $2 | pnmscale -xres=480 | cjpeg > out.tmp.jpg

mv out.tmp.jpg $2

chmod 755 on the file and stick it somewhere where the webserver can see it in it's path or provide an absolute path. Depending on how things are set up the djpeg, pnmscale and cjpeg commands could need absolute paths as well.

that should do it.

pnmscale is part of Jeff Postkanzers' 'pbm' package and is pre-installed on many machines, djpeg and cjpeg are standard tools, but if you don't have them simply download jpeg-6, make and make install and they will be placed in /usr/local/bin

regards

Jacques.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:33:08 PM by jacquesm »