Author Topic: CFL's or Lite Strips?  (Read 474 times)

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
CFL's or Lite Strips?
« on: August 23, 2004, 07:11:19 AM »
   Quite awhile back before I had an under the cabinet fluroscent light which has a F20T10/CW tube which cost about $2 less to replace than the whole new unit.....so when it burned out and about 2yrs later...and 3or4 units later I decided to go the CFL route....well after a couple of them

burned out I was thinking about regular standard fluroscent tubes again....especially when the CFL over the sink really went KaFlooey! The coil inside the electronics part got burnt to a hunk of charcoil....is there a way to prevent this? Maybe a better brand that's absolutely never had this happen...there's doesn't seem to be any real good brand of CFL's out there. I'm thinking of going back to the regular fluroscent tubes.

More later about this....Norm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:11:19 AM by (unknown) »

RobD

Re: CFL's or Lite Strips?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:41:44 AM »
Are you using the CFL bulbs?

Check the package some aren't ment to be in an enclosed area or an area wher there is heat. They do make bulbs that can be enclosed, cheack the package.

RobD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:41:44 AM by RobD »

Gary D

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:42:54 AM »
Norm, perhaps the circuit coould be the problem? If you've had this issue with multiple lights on the same breaker/ fuse line, I'd check out that line as a precaution. Not worth 2 cents, maybe I'm parinoid! Could be a loose wirenut or ...Gary D.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 08:42:54 AM by Gary D »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:54:10 AM »
   No that's not the problem in this case but you quite correct about this thank you for your reply.

I think in my case with the smoked CFL Rob D is on the right track I had it installed temporarily in a cheap trouble light fixture with a push button switch could have been a loose flimsy contact....nevertheless I'm paranoid too!.. think I'll go back to regular fluroscent tubes....and hints, tips or suggestions on how to make them last longer would be greatly appreciated even simple modifications in the circuit? or real top notch brand name ??

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 09:54:10 AM by Norm »

baggo

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 02:03:40 PM »
Hi Norm,

Don't know if your using 12 volt or 110 volt. If your using 110 for your ordinary flourescents then I would recommend changing the coil ballasts to electronic versions. The tubes will last a lot longer and run quieter and more efficiently. When I changed over to inverter power I had to modify 4 strip fittings because the coil ballasts did not like the MSW output of the inverter at all. Have been running all my CFL and strip fluorescents off the inverter for over 6 months now with no problems at all.

John

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 02:03:40 PM by baggo »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:30:10 PM »
We use a lot of CFLs and the old big round ones with a center adaptor.

The real cheapies seem to have short life ballasts.

Lights Of America (made in China) has a HECK of selection, and we haven't had one go out yet (5 years-ish? Using a dozen bulbs daily) Their efficiency is better than most, and thats what you are looking for, right? Plus, they are reasonable.

I got the first ones at an end of season clearance sale (End of light bulb season???), only because the price was 90% off. I'm a cheap SOB.

You can get them at your local Wally-Mart. Remember to check the Clearance Section! I got a slew of assorted fluorescent bulbs (just the bulbs) for 5 cents each a while ago. I can't wait to use one.

The chain home improvement center should all have them.

Sam's Club here just had a 6 Pack of LoA brand 13 watt CFLs for $9

GE makes some good ones too, but I think a lot of them are still a Lights of America light in a different package.

IKEA had a bunch of skids of CFLs the only time I was ever in one, 2 years ago. I only used 1 so far, as I'm stocked from all the clearace sales, but in my kids bedroom for 2 years now. They were almost free! I recall the 7 watt was $1.50. Their selection went to 20-something watts for $4 (?).

My choice would be Lights of America, even if they cost more.

I've changed the bulbs, but suspect the ballast usually ruined them, because the replacement bulbs at best last a few weeks. I go 1 piece now and change the whole thing, now the cost is so low. (I already said I am a cheap SOB, remember?)

Hope I helped

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 02:30:10 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 08:44:50 PM »
  Yes you did help besides being an entertaining story,it just seems like more than just a coincidence that you find good deals when you set your mind to searching for something, I remember one time I had a Brother word processor and I was on a search for cartridges for it and so every once in awhile I'd run across some at a yard sale or Goodwill.... package of two $1 ...50 cents etc. Guess I'll have to get CFL oriented!

BTW did you ever look up at the ceiling in a Walmart (Oooohh! Look at all those lights! wonder what the combined wattage is???) to their credit I've noticed some newer Walmarts have skylights....even on cloudy days a skylight is serious competition for a bunch of fluroscent tubes of equal area...Right?

Thanks again for the help!

Nothing I like better than a bargain ....especially lawnmowers....free ones that is....from one cheap SOB to another...LOL

( :>) Norm

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 08:44:50 PM by Norm »

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »
The 'Philips' CFL's we use last a long time. None of them have ever fried, they just start getting dim, untill they stop working eventually.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 09:39:40 AM by Junkie »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
  Thanks for the reply Phillips   eh?  Dim I can handle frying electronics makes me paranoid.

( :>)Norm.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:00:18 PM by Norm »

PaulJ

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 08:01:51 AM »
   The Phillips work for me too, msw inverter, no problems.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 08:01:51 AM by PaulJ »