Author Topic: We are loosing the battle  (Read 649 times)

elvin1949

Re: We are loosing the battle
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »
Bsparky

i just checked

the stove is still HOT

later

elvin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:53:14 PM by elvin1949 »

devoncloud

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2004, 07:29:43 PM »
oh ya, and Tom, the post you are referring too concerning that passing air through a swamp cooler is not what was said either.  What was said is yes, if you are in a dry climate, the humididty will increase, and that is part of the cooling process of swamp coolers, but there is a level of humidity where swamp coolers will not work anymore, because they will not make the humidity increase anymore either.  This is why swamp coolers are not used in areas of high humidity.  Even in dry areas, such as West Texas, when it has recently rained but is still very hot (and now humid) swamp coolers do not help to cool in the least bit.  They will not make the humidity increase until it rains (or even cause condensation on walls)either.  they simply do not cool, and you will be miserable until the humidity drops, unless you do one simple thing:  add ice in the water pan.  

doing this changes how the swamp cooler cools your house. rather than using humidity to cool your house, it is drawing hot (and humid)air through COOLER TEMPERATURES caused by the ice in the water pan and then taking that cooler water and dispersing it through the cooling pads.  Drawing the hotter air through the cooler water lowers the temperature of the air going into your house.  It also does not make it too humid in your house to be "bearable" as you put it in that post.

Since this person on this post was thinking of the cheapest way to utilize the cool water from the stream to cool his cabin, I suggested utilizing this same "ice" technique using a swamp cooler instead of spending money on matal radiators.  he coudl use this technique with a swamp cooler (and it would be very cheap)because instead of using the ice, simply use the cold water directly from the stream.  I know that this would work, because I have done it, many times right after a rain, in El Paso Texas. It does not work quite as well as it would if the air were dry, but it worked a heck of alot better than doing nothing except wait for the humidity to drop back down.

So Tom, please, and I am not trying to put anyone down either, at least do not falsify the claims you say people have made, because noone on this site has made claims that swamp coolers do not add humidity to the air.... They simply said they will only add humidity up to a certain point, and then it will add no more.  this is why you do not see swamp coolers banned due to mold growing in people's houses because of condensation.  This is also why swamp coolers do not work well in areas of high humidity.

Devon  

« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 07:29:43 PM by devoncloud »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2004, 07:34:51 PM »
Kester still makes the Al solder. A 1oz box was like $4. Went a long way.

You have to get the Al pretty hot, or the solder just drips off the iron.

Not like blow torch hot, just hotter than I'm used to.

G-
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 07:34:51 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

devoncloud

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2004, 07:35:52 PM »
oh ya, and so now only one has not been taken to task....:>)

and, even though you misrepresented my words, I still love your posts and your wisdom.  I respect and admire you sir.

Devon

« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 07:35:52 PM by devoncloud »

troy

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2004, 12:42:32 PM »
Fred,

On your good days, I think you're a genious.  On your bad days, you're grumpy like me.  Fine, let's move on.  Go invent something cool.  Take pictures, teach us.

If you were to stop participating, this board would be the lesser for it.

Best regards,

troy

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:42:32 PM by troy »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2004, 03:43:09 PM »
I agree absolutely Ed... I have respect for folks doing these projects.  (Im doubtful that any will work).

The problem is (in my opinion)... it's much to do with the 'con artists' and 'decievers' that gets folks inspired to even try.  There is no magic here, and if bedini or dennis lee or joseph newman or howard johnson or searl... (etc) had ever submitted a machine to someone who could really test it objectively and properly this wouldnt be such a hot topic these days and perhaps some folks would be building workable machines instead.  I find it a bit frustrating...

We have the same problem with wind power actually - there are lots of designs and companies putting fourth very unworkable ideas, collecting $$ for them, and inspiring folks to waste their time and resources.  

Again - that's my honest opinion and I do realize that lots of folks disagree.  It is my nature to be a'skeptic' about many things, and I realize the world takes all types, and lots of folks are much less skeptical than I am.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 03:43:09 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Electric Ed

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2004, 05:12:19 PM »
"I have respect for folks doing these projects.  (Im doubtful that any will work)."

As long as they are "having fun", and not spending their kid's grocery money, good luck to them.

And I'm convinced that they can't help but learn something from the experience.

Actually, I can still remember the days before I understood the basics of energy conversion, efficiency, and losses, etc, having the same fantasys.

EE

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 05:12:19 PM by Electric Ed »