Author Topic: moving out of Canada, lots of stuff for sale  (Read 937 times)

troy

Re: moving out of Canada, lots of stuff for sale
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 01:44:35 PM »
Despite the deplorable circumstances that have forced you to take this difficult decision, I would point out that there are some positives.

1.  You're allowed to leave.  In some countries, you dissappear if you mention that desire to the wrong people.
  2.  There are other greener pastures that are available.
  3. You have some resources to put to work for you in your new setting, not the least of which is your intellect and your worldview.
  4.  Because of the technology, you don't entirely lose your support system, since cheap phone service and the internet makes the world a much smaller place.  A hundred years ago, if you moved from Europe to North America, it was effectively the same as dying for the folks you left behind.  They did have some mail, though not reliable and 3 month turnaround.  You could go back by boat, but prohibitively expensive.  

Anyway, I know that is small comfort.  

I hope to hear about the great things you cook up in the new venue.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:44:35 PM by troy »

farmerfrank

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 04:16:26 PM »
Where in Canada are you located?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 04:16:26 PM by farmerfrank »

jacquesm

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 05:28:07 PM »
Saint Josephs Island 45 km east of Sault Ste Marie on Highway 17
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:28:07 PM by jacquesm »

drdongle

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »
J. I think you should reconsider home schooling. Here in the US home schoolers consistently rate in the top 10% of all students and the supposed "socialization" problem is greatly over emphasised primarily by government school employees ( they hate the competition, it makes the look as bad as they really are). The Net is also a great source of educational material, not to be underestimated.

There are lots of ways for kids who are home schooled to socialize, neighbor kids, sporting events ( we have a local soccer team made up only of home schoolers). Home school families can also get together for community events, field trips and specialized classes offered by willing parents and tutors. Don't give up yet I believe there are resources that you have not yet taped.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:53:00 PM by drdongle »

jacquesm

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 07:59:51 PM »
1) there are about 200 kids on this island here

2) of those 200 about 180 go to school and are highly organised in churches and such of which we are not and want no part

3) the few kids that are left fall into two categories, a very few (three or so) kids that are like ours and the rest is of parents even more fanatically religious who think the school does not go far enough

You're spot on about the homeschooled kids being the smarter ones, there is no doubt about that. But other than that the population density here is so low that the social factor really is a problem, not because the school says so, but because my kid says so. He misses his friends, and the parents of kids around us won't let him play with their kids out of school because we are 'filthy atheists'.

To give you an idea how bad that gets, some group decided that they would play with little one but only if he would swear to them that he believes in god...

It's pretty sad, for a religion that is supposedly descended from a guy that preached tolerance of other people.

The reason why my son was expelled from school is because he used the word 'hell' in class, which last time I checked it was a word in ordinary use with some special connotations for some individuals that believe in certain extraterristrials.

To me it means nothing and I'm afraid the apple did not fall very far from the tree on that one. Kofi Annan used the word 'Hell' when asked if he was going to resign over the oil for food scandal (Hell NO! (good for him!)), which means that I think I have some authority to back that up.

They never even bothered to call us or respond to my letter....

I will continue to try to help my son to pick up the knowledge that he will need later in life to get by, but he is really longing for some friends to do stuff with, after all is said and done we're just a bunch of old folks to him (I feel pretty spry at 40 and will take on anybody for a game of pong but that does not change his view of things).

The socialization thing would be manageable in a different environment, but out here it's a real factor, and it does not change that even if we were to continue like we are doing right now that we would have absolutely no guarantee that we would be allowed to stay in the longer term. Maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't. I like to make arrangements about something and then DO IT. Not this eternal limbo that we are in right now, I can not cope with it much longer and I can tell the rest of us are picking up on the strain.

Consider a simple modification to your house, for you that's a no brainer, for me it is the worst possible waste of time right now and I'm still left with something that needs fixing that I look at every day that I sit around here waiting for the cavalry to ride in to tell us we're ok (or that we have 48 hours to leave or so..).

Not a good way to live, and you'll have to take my word from me on that we're pretty tough people to put down. It's like erosion, it doesn't really have a moment when it happens, it slowly wears you out.

Once again thank you for your input, I should have possibly raised this subject here earlier but I never really thought it was 'on topic', though I did discuss some bits and pieces of this with DanB when I visited him, our situations have quite a few elements in common, and so do our attitudes to plenty of things (except for variable pitch :)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 07:59:51 PM by jacquesm »

nothing to lose

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 08:26:44 PM »
I had not thought of conversion costs, you mean like all the motors are wired for the wrong currant?

Course if you took your own RE grid with you :)

Anyway was a tought, Some people moved here from OZ I think it was, dumped all their stuff before leaving and never thought to see what container costs were.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 08:26:44 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 08:52:33 PM »
I don't know about Europe schools but I agree most US schools suck. Put it straight and to the point!

My daughter was better in math and spelling BEFORE 1st grade than she was AFTER second grade! That was with me the all time mispellin champ of the world teaching her.

Most of it she learned before starting any school, pre-kindergarden, while we travled together. But family fought me every step about the home schooling I prefered over sending her to public school, and being remote she wanted school so she could have friends.

Wish I had followed my first instincts now and ignored everyone else!

I may not be all that smart myself, but I could teach her more in 1-2hours than what she learns in a entire day in school, probably much more!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 08:52:33 PM by nothing to lose »

JYL

• Ricxeco
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »
Sorry to hear that,

Living in Quebec, Canada -- But born here.

Have you try to play some politic (federal).  They are likely looking for good liberal vote.

However, it look like that the school system in Saut Ste-Marie is somewhere deficient and you don't have a lot of solution for that.

Best of chance in EU

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 09:23:49 PM by JYL »

richhagen

moving out of Canada
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2005, 11:11:02 PM »
Not trying too hard to defend the U.S.'s schools here, there is a large amount of room for improvement, but I think there is a big difference depending on which public schools and in what areas you are talking about.  A lot of the suburban schools are pretty good, but the inner city ones tend to do worse.  The rural ones are a mixed batch, mostly not so good.  One problem here is that teachers don't make enough salary relative to other occupations and it is therefore difficult to interest the best of the best to be teachers unless they have an inner drive to do that sort of thing regardless of income.  Let's see how I did in school.  

1. I can do math without a calculator ....as long as my computer is handy, but I can't remember how to use an abacus
  2. Japan is that electronics and car place with all the factories right?  I had an uncle that went there on a government sponsered endeavor in the 40's.  I imagine he was familiar with Mitsubishi, probably never would have imagined people would be driving them on the roads here though.
  3. Interest I have, ... in RE which is good, but not so good on money I owe.

It seems to me that one of the most important things you can learn in school is how to look stuff up and research things for yourself.  If you can learn that, then the sky is the limit.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 11:11:02 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

nothing to lose

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2005, 12:52:36 AM »
I certainly do not want to argue and we are talking about abit different things here also since I am stuck with USA schools and you have Canada and Europe schools to consider also. But my long post/rant here is based on my experince and opions on home schooling vs. public school for anyone wantng to read it.

I do not beleave the below. Although it may be true in your case, not in general is my opion.

"The problem with homeschooling is that while it works well in theory in practice there is no substitute for interaction with others in a group. It's about developing social skills, factual knowledge and mental abilities.

We can provide some of that, but not all of that. There are very few children living in this area and in Europe at age 12 he would be getting 'subject teachers', who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am in their specific fields."

On the part about "more knowledgeable than I am in their specific fields"

Certainly it may be that way in some schools, but it is my experience about half the teachers know to assign the lesson in a book, check the answers turned in by students with the answer in the back of the book! Memorize the words they should say for the lessons and examples provided in the book. I am not joking about this at all!

I recall the forth grade class my daughter was in, one question on a test was wrong, but she had the correct answer. When I asked her about it, she said no one in the class got that one right. I went to school and talked to the teacher, she argued with me the book was correct and the students were wrong. She did not know how to do the work and get the correct answer either and avoided it, and me best she could.

I had to find another teacher that could actually do the work and then have her called to the office and told to correct the test grades to the new answer.

I WAS PISSED!

My daughter still had an A but it did raise other students grades on that test that barely had a lower grade, border line grades. And this was only 4rth grade work!

I have corrected teachers many times over the years, many realize the mistake right away if pointed out to them, or sometimes I have to show it in detail, other books, several other teachers etc..

And I am dumb as a rock myself. How many answers did I NOT get corrected??

When I was in high school myself many many years ago, I was showing the teacher how to do work on an engine and sometimes giving him the correct answers in a small engines repair class. I didn't learn anything there, and only thing I knew on my own was from working on my own cars. Still don't know how to fix a lawnmower, though I could figure it out or read a manual. I got all A's in the class though.

That part about "there is no substitute for interaction with others in a group. It's about developing social skills," is from my point of view a load of crap! I say this from experience here. That was one of the things that got shoved at me constantly when I wanted to home school my daughter from the start. Was one of the reasons I gave up and let her go to school, big mistake!

First, that was not so hot when I went to school either in a bigger city. After elemtary reccesses end there is no socail time in shool. Sure you can break the rules and talk in class and be told to shut up and socailize on your own time. So ya you got that 5 minutes if your lucky to talk to all your friends that ride other busses to the other side of town that you never see except at school. Big deal!

So then you get home and socailize with the kids living around you that you never see at school :)

And just what was that your own time stuff supposed to be? 1 hour to school, 8hrs at school, 1 hour home, 3hrs or more homework. Duh, that's 13hrs or more! Where is this MY TIME crap supposed to come in at, while I sleep?? 3hrs for everything in MY LIFE, food, bath, family, mow the yard, etc.. and 8hours to sleep.

Then you have like around here, nice place, nice people, average or above schools, pretty good as far as pubic schools really. Home school is what I SHOULD have done!

It just is not all that great, kids don't always welcome outsiders, here most have thier own little "CLICK" and if you weren't born here you barely fit in at all with the locals. Daughters first school classmates, their somewhat friends, but no-one invites her places, seldom spends the night at others kids houses, has been invited  to very few birthday parties, etc... So what Socail group, interaction? Sitting in a class being told to shut up and read the book when they speak to each other, the 2 minutes they run from class to class? That great 45 minute bus ride with kids you don't ever see but on the bus and live to far away to play with, and your told to sit here and be quite too!!

My Kid is very good kid, and we are all born US white people and in a mostly white area, but it's still basic discrimination type of thing because she was born in North USA not 10 miles away. People is people to me, black white, mexican etc... were all the same, so the part I mention of white is not prejudice talk, just pointing out we are the same as them, not racail diference etc.. which should not matter anyway.

Just not born here in town. Though she went to school there since kindergarden with the same kids in every class. Small school, one class for each grade.

This part of her never being invited anyplace and such got me pissed off, first time she decided she wanted to change schools I rented a house just to get her in that school! No other real reason, just to have the address. She has probably done more with those new friends in the last 5 months than her other school friends in the last 8 years already. I mean as far as them asking her to do stuff with them. We always had kids going with us when WE wanted to TAKE THEM places.

Now to put this in a bit more perspective for the last 8 years, we have had some of those kids over for the night, taken some to amusement parks, roller skating, theater shows, etc... I always pay for the extra kids stuff too, don't mind it, they don't need money with us for food tickets or such, just if they want alot of junk souviniars and such they buy for themselfs, and I buy some of that stuff for em too.

Every little thing my kid is giving them stuff and inviting them to do things. Nothing in return though. It's not that I expect a return, but I expect her to NOT be the only kid in class to never be invited to a party. Snobs are glad to receive, but otherwise ingore. At least that's the way it feels at times. They have friends over all the time, parties, etc.., just my kid is rarely invited to do anything with them, but other kids are often.

I spent Thousands on other kids in the last 8 years or so taking them places and doing things, my kid is the last to be invited for anything, even a birthday party, but she is still dumb enough to take them the present and give it to them at school :(

Now there she is dumb as a rock!

4 years they have a party and you don't get invited? 5th year they get no present!

I finanly put my foot down awhile back and set a rule, if there is a party and you ain't invited you ain't giving a gift! Period!

Kinda like calling the neighbor "Hey were having a big party, we don't want you to come, but could you run to town and pick up the beer for us".

She had one friend that does invite her over to spend the night sometimes, she has been here many times also, gone with us to Branson MO for theaters and amusment parks and we even took her about a week and went to Ohio to a BIG amusemant park and camping for 2 days and nights. I don't care that they never take my daughter anywhere, they don't have much money I think, and they don't do anything themselfs.

I think the only time that girl does much is when she goes with us, well all that is fine, those 2 are good friends, she invites my kid over to her house sometimes for the night.

Now, as far as kids she has done alot more with, the ones that invite her places too, she has met them at skating rinks, church,state park, even strangers at amusemant parks where I got to know the parents and we had mutual interests etc... and got to be freinds.

So where is all that " interaction with others in a group. It's about developing social skills," stuff comming from. NOT SCHOOL, but every day life in general.

Group stuff, gangs, drugs, sit there shut up and read, that is school group stuff.

The majority of kids are NOT on the ball team, chearleaders, band or other group things, only a few are. And beyond elementary school they are NOT given recces time to go play and interact either, it's class, class, class, lunch, more classes. And the home work takes away from personal time that they could go somewhere "for interaction with others in a group, developing social skills, factual knowledge and mental abilities".

While being home schooled not only can a child get a BETTER education than a public school provides in most areas, they can also learn facts of life through actaull experience, hands on training, visiting places in person ocasionally, not just read a book about them, etc... Depending on the parents, time, money, etc..

Most public school kids see pictures of Mt Rushmore, mine has been there, Niagra falls too. Someday the Grand Canyon maybe. That is learning much more in person than the book reading in school. If it weren't for school she would have learned about the cival war by visiting battle grounds, museums etc.. Dinosaurs too same way. While traveling she could be reading the same school books so she would have had 2-3Xs the education she has now. But NO, I was talked into putting her in public school and we are tied down 9 months of the year so she can learn far less stuff in a much longer time.

Even for people who never travel anywhere, you can teach a kid in a couple hours far more than they learn in an entire school day. Plus they can get hands on experience and put the knowledge to practical use as they learn it. What better way to learn math is important and put it to real use than figuring out the angles and decimals and fractions needed to measure and cast a stator? What better way to learn about motors and generators etc.. than building a working gennie? Right there, Science class and math in one :)

Science fair at her school was a joke, stick pennies in vinager and see what happens and 10 or more kids doing the same thing! Never did she do the motor running from a battery spinning a second motor lighting a bulb, showing how they are built inside and how they make power when spun etc.. Nope, stupid pennies or a pot with a flower in it stuff. Ok for 1sr 2cnd grade, stupid for 5th 6th.

At age 4-5 my daughter knew alot of fractions! Yes that young, why? Because she helped me working on cars, handing me tools. She had to learn what 1/2", 7/16" 9/32" was, 1/4" rachet etc...  Often I would try to trick her, I need half a 3/8" socket, she would had me the 3/16" after thinking a minute. Now she don't know what a pipe wrench is, explained it to her when I needed one the other day, she couldn't find it, I did, it was laying in plain sight, she said oh that thing.

She learned to count to 100 very early while traveling acrossed country, and spelling some pretty large words too. Not everything has to be written to learn it, talking while traveling is very good to, rather cross country or to the local store and back.

Games are great for learning, I used to also write 20 math problems on paper, some extremly hard for her level. She got a penny for each correct answer and 25 cents if she got all 20 of them right, she would get those hard ones 90% of the time so she could have the extra nickle.

All of which she forgot by the end of 2cnd grade! When school started she did not have TIME for me to be teaching her, it was all busses, school and homework time! She had straight A's in everything, now she was down to a C in math this last school period :(

Partly because of the school change, she should have had a B, still not good for her.

I would have her doing Trig by now, and on the way I would have learned it too :)

That's all stuff no-one mentions when they WANT the kids to go to public school!

Take computers for example also. I let my daughter have a slumber party at my office with a few of her new school friends. She camcordered them dancing and fun stuff and I recorded some for her. Now SHE should be making her own DVD's by now, but no, she won't let me teach her how. Heck she can't even rip and copy the ones I make yet :(

Too busy with school homework, cheerleading, or other things. So I made the DVD and printed it for her friends, I could not get her to make the cover either.

So finnally I gave her blank cases with disks inside and said that's what they get, I ain't doing the covers. We were going to take them to her freinds the next day and it was late already.

She sat down, ran the dvd on her PC, captured the images, edited them, made covers, fancy text, sized to case, printed, cut and inserted the covers in the case. Maybe an hour tops for all of them. The most time was deciding what images she wanted and finding them on the dvd! Her friends were as amazed by the covers she made as much as by the actaul DVD inside.

I think at school now they have taught how to change the desktop background and maybe advanced as far as menu colors :(

So where did she actaully learn something usefull? All of her computer education is from home! She can do alot of stuff!

Most her friends with home computers available can play games or surf the net, still more than the school has taught :(

I ain't so smart myself, but there is nothing in school she has learned she could not have learned at home better and in less time, there is far more she could have learned at home, but the school is holding her back, just not enough time for both!

In many places there are home school groups also, often they meet a few hours aweek or so and help each other. Maybe one person is super in math, another in windgennies :)

So the kids still get the group socail stuff but better than public schools and the education is normally far better than any public school.

A nasty borring public school is nothing more than a very low security prison with home release at night, like a work release from a real jail. And every day our children get treated more and more like convicts instead of students. Is it any wonder so many have so many problems in life? If you are trained to be a convict, well... breaking the law is what your supposed to do right? I mean is that not what a convict is, someone that was convicted of breaking the law? So that is what many of them are trained for and that is what many of them do. Rather streets gangs, or a few doing drugs, it's the public schools creating most of those problems. That's your socail interaction in many larger areas, even some smaller areas too!

Well, that's my rant. Hopefully the schools your kids go to are better than the average schools, many are better, many are worse. My kid goes to a decent one and the one she did go to was decent also. But teachers are dumb as a rock often.

Oh ya, then you have those that pick favorites, like teachers that love the kids on the ball team and choose them for everything and pick on the ones that are not on the team. Another reason I took my daughter out of the first school this year. Nice lesson to teach kids eh, be meen to the ones not on the team. Discrimination comming from a public school teacher. Let the ball players talk in class all they want and just say be quite once in awhile, assign 500 word report to any student that sneezes and is not on the team. Ya basically, maybe not quite that bad, but that's the way it was in 2 classes for a few students that weren't basketball players. Boys or girls, not a team member not really welcome in class I geuss.

If I had it to do over, my daughter would never have gone to one and she would be designing websites and authoring her own original DVDs right now, instead of me authoring them for her. She is pretty good with the camcorder I gave her, but she does nothing with the footage she tapes :(

Wish I had a camcorder myself. I gave her my digital camera too, it works better for her than it did for me :(

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 12:52:36 AM by nothing to lose »

JF

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2005, 12:58:39 AM »
Dear Jacquesm

I am very sad to read of all your hassle and difficulties - However it is good to read the great support and large number of different suggestions you have received from other good friends and colleagues.

Of course you have and will consider all the options available to you - I fully agree with those who suggest that perhaps the media/political approach is perhaps the most viable option.

I can only say that if you decide to return to Europe with your family - you will be a great and valuable addition to the already existing and growing "hands-on" RE network in many different countries.

Please do not refrain from continuing with your contributions to this board.

When or if you return - please come and visit us here on the windy coast in Denmark and I am also sure that friends in Finland will be likewise very pleased for an inspiring visit.

With greetings and best wishes - JF

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 12:58:39 AM by JF »

jacquesm

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2005, 07:31:24 AM »
That's quite true. I think that part of it is mostly due to the concentrated attention that you can give your child and the fact that you (should) understand them better than anybody else on the planet.

I also noticed a regression after sending my kid to school, but I did notice that he's much happier to be dealing with his peers than with his elders. I can play hide & seek only so often :)

Travelling is a great way to get to know your child better, the trip I made to TomW and the Dans with my son is one that we'll remember for the rest of our lives.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:31:24 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2005, 07:33:46 AM »
I just might take you up on that JF, I very much like to meet people face to face. I love the internet, don't get me wrong. It sustains me financially and it's my lifeline to just about everybody that I know but to be there in person gives you that third dimension.

I'll be pretty busy in the next two months or so, after that, who knows !

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:33:46 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2005, 07:36:34 AM »
Merci bien :)

We'll do what we can. If the farm here does not sell fast enough for a good enough price then I'll just hold on to it and we may come back here periodically or to retire to, or we may use it as a vacation home for friends and family. I have no idea how that will go just yet.

I've been to Quebec several times and it's a pretty place. I visited the Cap Chat windfarm there to have a look at the worlds largest Darrieus machine. Pity it didn't work out that one, it's one of the prettiest structures ever made by man that thing. (100 m high !!)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:36:34 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

Re: moving out of Canada
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2005, 07:41:05 AM »
true enough Rich, learning how to learn is what it's all about. The ability to take something new that you have never done before and to immerse yourself in it while integrating the new knowledge with the bits and pieces that you've already got.

Funny about the Mitsubishi, another brand like that is Husqvarna I believe, though they were on the allied side.

Guns, sewing machines and chainsaws :)

Q: which one does not belong in the list

A: the sewing machine, it only hurts but does not kill

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:41:05 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2005, 07:58:18 AM »
hehe, that's a long rant buddy !

We should have had this discussion some months ago, it really is good stuff.

I see your point of view, clearly, no mistake about that.

However the social skills bit we disagree on. Both my parents are pretty smart cookies (or rather were, my dad died a couple of years ago), but I would never be where I am today if not for the schools I've gone to. Both on the social level and in the knowledge department. BUT - and that's a huge but - I lucked out in two things, the schools I went to after about age 11 had a few - not all of them, but the ones that mattered - excellent teachers that were doing a lot more than just stuffing facts down your throat and checking the answers in the back of the book.

That's Holland though, and I think that may be where things go wrong a bit here, I'm comparing MY school time with homeschooling and of course you're entirely right about that, I should be comparing this school here vs homeschooling.

The difference here is though, that I actually can move to Europe, we can get our child fluent in yet another language (he's right now fluent in Dutch and English), he can be closer to his family (during the time that we were away from Poland, which is since he was born my wifes brother got married and now has to sons about his age) and so on.

It's the TOTAL that makes the difference, not any one single issue. Decisions like this are not made in a day, though it may seem like that to the outside world. We've gone over this for months, trying to hold back from having to rip up our lives again with all the consequences that will have. But once the decision is made it would have to be a huge difference to swing the balance back over to the other side.

The school situation here is definitely one of the larger issues. The lack of stability of our continued presence here is one. As is the lack of children around here that have a 'clean' look at the world around them. (instead of being turned in to little religious propaganda engines parotting their parents).

I want my child to have an open mind, to approach the world based on skeptical evaluation of the facts that he is exposed to. I don't want him to blindly follow anybody and be critical about what he learns. I also want him to behave in an ethical fashion, and to be realistic in his expectations of life and those around him, their strenghts and limitations.

If that sounds like a 'lofty goal' then look at it from my point of view, I don't have 12 children, I have only one. I spend way too little time with him because I'm too busy doing 'my own thing', and trips like the one to Colorado help us a lot in getting a feeling for each other. That part of the school system ('the school of life') I can provide.

But I'm not a history teacher, a biology teacher, a geography teacher, a german teacher, french teacher, latin teacher and so on. I know bits and pieces of those subjects, but that's not the same as being able to transfer that knowledge to somebody else.

I could teach you - given enough time on my part - to program computers, and maybe simple electronics (though guys like DonC would be way better at than I will ever be).

The rest of it I'll gladly pass to people that really know their stuff, and if I know that that's available then I feel I have no right to withhold it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:58:18 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2005, 08:06:03 AM »
Europe is 380/50 or 240/50, The 240 circuits are limited to about 16 Amps in

most setups that I have seen, the 380 or 600 volt stuff (higher powered equipment) might be adaptable, the only difference would be that the lower frequency would reduce the efficiency a little bit causing the motors to get a bit hotter (Zubbly knows a ton more about this than I do and will no doubt correct me if I have this wrong :)

The only thing that I have that would work without conversion is the big green lathe, it's motor actually IS a 240 V motor, all the other stuff would need major modifications to make it work on the grid in the EU.

It worked out to something like this: transporting it all about $10,000 door to door, import duties about $2500 (it's industrial machinery, they figure if it's worth transporting then it's worth some money even if it's old stuff), and then another sum to rewire the triphase motor on the mill, and then it still remains

to be seen if we end up in a location where we have triphase power.

The most likely course of action that I can see at this point is that I'll subcontract the manufacturing of the parts (that was the plan all along anyway, I just wanted to be able to prototype).  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:06:03 AM by jacquesm »

richhagen

moving out of Canada, lots of stuff for sale
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2005, 08:29:50 AM »
I'm still not resigned to the fact of your taking a long European vacation, however, if you do, I would consider holding onto that CNC table of yours until your return.  

I am building one now, and well, two are better than one.  I have been working on a nice VB program to generate the g-codes for any set of blade parameters, optimizing each x position for the optimum angle and chord width for maximum lift for a given tsr, and stock lumber size.  It basically calculates the ideal angle and chord width, and adjusts the NACA 4415 profile accordingly, then converts each coordinate to polar and rotates it accordingly.  The coordinates are then converted back to rectangular.  The resulting profile is then zeroed to the top of the front side of the stock and checked to see if it fits (maximum y less than stock width, and maximum z less than stock depth) if not then the calculated maximum angle and chord is used, if it does fit, then it checks the maximum cut depth and compares this to the cutter flute depth to determine how many passes to make.  Then the tool path is generated for that station.  The overall endmill length has to be longer than the deepest cut though as it steadily works its way from the root to the tip. In this way I should be able to easily build a rotor to match a specific alternator.  With two tables, I can set one table up for the front and one up for the back.  Ideally setting it up to complete a set of blades each time I load them.

If you are interested, the terms could be, $3000 canadian, and you can return the money and pick it up when you want (we want to make it easy for you to stay, or remain in the continent) Of course it won't be sitting idle in the mean time so there might be some wear and tear. :-)  The only potential problems would be -

1. getting it to Chicago, I have a cargo van but I'm not sure if it would fit, or I could rent a trailer for the trek.
  2. what hassles would I have about bringing it from Canada to the U.S. (would it be allowed, and duties - ect.)
  3. I am not overly familiar with with the process of converting U.S. dollars to Canadian Dollars in order to pay you.  (because of your business, I bet that you are)

Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:29:50 AM by richhagen »

jacquesm

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2005, 10:19:27 AM »
That's an interesting one. I have some software in python for you if you want it that does just about everything you have just described and then some. It's not very elegant because it was written at breakneck speed but it may have some stuff in there that you can use. It also does 3D simulation of the cutting process so you can verify if it works properly before scrapping lumber and it does some nifty stuff that allows you to cut convex and concave surfaces with 'straight' bits instead of with ball bits. (straight bits wear much less and are cheaper than ball bits).

If you want that code then let me know and I'll zip it up and post it.

RonB will get the table though, I've already commited to that.

Also it needs some finishing touches, but it was good enough and fast enough for the jobs that I needed to do with it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 10:19:27 AM by jacquesm »

XRay

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
Jacquesm,

Its a dream I have fore years to immigrate to Canada, but it is slowly fading away because of these kind of messages (AND my wife)

Good luck, I hope you will find a country where you don't have to feel like a 2nd or 3rd rated citizen.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 01:22:06 PM by XRay »

jacquesm

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2005, 03:22:23 PM »
Where do you live right now ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 03:22:23 PM by jacquesm »

richhagen

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2005, 03:55:26 PM »
Of course I'd love to have a look at it.  I'm not at all familiar with Python, other than seeing the snakes a couple of times at zoos.  If you don't mind posting it to your files, I'll find it and download it.  I still have a couple of bugs to work out, and it would be interesting to compare notes on how we each set it up.  As soon as I'm done, I'll post mine for you.  I'm so close I can taste it.  Incidently, your diary on your mill was my inspiration for doing this.  I can zip off small blades with my mini-mill, soon I'll be able to crank out more useful sizes, hopefully it will work as well.  I noticed that your table appears to have a rack and pinion type setup, at least it looks that way for the Y.  I am using linear rails and a screw drive hopefully mine will work as well.  Thanks, Rich
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 03:55:26 PM by richhagen »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2005, 04:57:45 PM »
Uhhh, I believe Husqvarna is Swedish. Not on any side, IIRC.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:57:45 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

jacquesm

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2005, 05:18:32 PM »
Leadscrews vs rack & pinion was a tricky decision to make. I opted for the rack because I know I can get the torque and don't need the extreme precision that a leadscrew will give, it's cheaper, easier to maintain and it runs much faster.

I'll post the software in a second

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 05:18:32 PM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2005, 08:30:08 PM »
you are absolutely correct...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:30:08 PM by jacquesm »

XRay

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2005, 01:30:06 AM »
Thanks for asking: I live in Holland.

Some reasons to immigrate to Canada:

• my strong interest in nature, I like to hike in big forests (my dream)
  • clean air, big problem in Holland (my body)

I strongly believe that a healthy body is more important than better public school. Somehow I agree to what nothing to lose said about home schooling vs. public school.

If you have the ability and knowledge to home school your kids and try to fight a few years longer for a permanent resident status, I think youll be mush more happy and healthy. Don't go to that bees nest called Europe.

But its easy for me to say all this, I never been in this situation and my oldest son is just 3 years old.

May happiness be with you,

Ray

Hey a big part of your book is already written, copy past the post. :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 01:30:06 AM by XRay »

jacquesm

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2005, 07:15:47 AM »
we actuually moved here from Holland :)

Wouldn't go back there though, too crowded, too many rules and weird taxes.

I do still visit every once in a while and when we're back on the continent that will probably happen more frequently.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 07:15:47 AM by jacquesm »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2005, 08:27:30 AM »
Hi,

I think that it has been

a quite hard decision to make.

It is quite sad to hear

that it is so difficult to

settle there in Canada nowadays.

Earlier so many people from

my home country went there

because it was too difficult

to live here.

About schools my opinion

is that you in general don't

learn there much, but most

kids get so many good friends

there that there is

no alternative often.

I've got no children, so

I'm speaking about my

personal past experiences.

Central Europe nowadays

is quite crowded. But

in Scandinavia and in

Finland there is still

much room for people

and for wind machines also.

Finland has got one of

the strangest languages

of the world... So Sweden,

Norway and Denmark are maybe

better places for you.  

In Finland we have got however

more lakes and trees.

One day, when you will

visit John (JF) you might

come to see me and my

friends in Finland, too.

If I'm not at that time

in Nepal, in India

or in Pakistan...

Where are you going to

settle in Europe?

Hannu

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 08:27:30 AM by hvirtane »

rotornuts

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2005, 08:59:23 AM »
"It is quite sad to hear

that it is so difficult to

settle there in Canada nowadays".

"Earlier so many people from

my home country went there

because it was too difficult

to live here".

My dads parents came to Canada from Austria, My moms dad came from Scotland and her mother was French Canadien with her folks coming from France. One of my aunts came from Holland and my wifes mother is from Ireland. Many other members of my family also immigrated to Canada from Europe.

Canada, as jacquesm already said, is a country of immigrants. It seems though at some point the goverment decided that it was unable to fullfill it's obligations to it's citizens, after all, tending to the obligations of goverment in one of the largests and most resource rich countries in the world must be tough, right? Anyway, one of the techniques the Canadian goverment has been adopting is the delay of due process. In this way Canada can still say "Hey, look at all these wonderfull things available to our people and those who would like to join us here" but good luck actually getting anything done. Even for born and raised citizens the situation has become quite rediculous.

It seems the beurocrates are trained by Insurance Adjusters. "What do we do, deny the claim. What do we do, deny the claim"

Mike

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 08:59:23 AM by rotornuts »

jacquesm

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
Hey There Hannu,

We will most likely end up going to Poland, an area near Bialestok (don't have the proper polish letters on my keyboard..., but it's about an hours drive north east of Warsaw).

I would very much like to visit you too, I don't know the exact timing about all this just yet, but as soon as I do know I'll post it.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:41:45 AM by jacquesm »

jacquesm

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »
Thank you so much for introducing me to your friend Sjang, we just had a phone conversation of almost an hour, and he's quite the man from what I've gathered. It's funny his situation is a mirror image of ours, he stayed back in the Netherlands waiting for his paperwork, we were already comitted (because we already had a Canadian business). I'll never understand the way governments work, that's for sure !

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:43:53 AM by jacquesm »

XRay

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2005, 04:41:34 PM »
(Dat had ik niet verwacht! :)) Yes mush to crowded with all sorts of consequences. Like immigration.

I wonder how long a Canadian can survives in the Dutch forest of people ;-))

Groetjes,

Ray

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 04:41:34 PM by XRay »

jacquesm

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »
I go nuts inside of three weeks in NL, I was back there last year in January.

It really gets to you on the highways though, just on the streets or in town it's just fine, but when you're back in a traffic jam after not having seen one for three years or so it really hits you.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:47:59 PM by jacquesm »