Author Topic: Appreciation to Flux  (Read 243 times)

johnlm

Appreciation to Flux
« on: September 02, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
It looks like a number of people should give a big thank you to Flux who has been working overtime the last month or so giving very good answers to many posts.

Johnlm

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 02:37:20 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Appreciation to Flux
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 09:24:59 AM »
And great answers they are.

Thanks Flux!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:24:59 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Experimental

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 10:58:49 AM »
   And those answers, are simple and easily understood, extremely helpful !!

Thank you Flux... Bill H........
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:58:49 AM by Experimental »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:14:43 AM »
i tip my hat , ive learned lots from flux's comments
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:14:43 AM by electrondady1 »

phil b

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:22:32 AM »
I have to chime in on this one too! Thanks Flux! You have answered questions that would have taken hours of futile trial and error to learn on my own.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:22:32 AM by phil b »
Phil

kitno455

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 11:36:33 AM »
righty right, flux is most helpful to the newbs, and does not seem to mind answering the same question repeatedly for those of us who cant get it the first time around.

thanks flux!

allan

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 11:36:33 AM by kitno455 »

Shadow

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 12:36:34 PM »
 I agree totally! I read and try to absorb all of Flux's posts, he's always quick to respond with help for everyone! Thanks Flux!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 12:36:34 PM by Shadow »

Drives

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
I agree as well.  As a matter of fact, I was curious as to what kind of a background Flux has to have acuired so much knowledge in the areas he talks about.  I am impressed!  

So FLUX what is your background?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:16:00 PM by Drives »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 05:41:53 PM »
I'm one of those people. Agreed, his time spent explaining things to us is greatly appreciated. Thanks Flux!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 05:41:53 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Devo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »
Yep ,  Thanks Flux

Devo

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 05:46:12 PM by Devo »

jmk

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »
  Yes, thankyou flux. You have tought me alot too. I don't know what alot of people look like on this board so I invesion what people look like. You could be young, but I think of you as the gray haired guy who wears the wizzerd hat!  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 05:57:34 PM by jmk »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 02:13:46 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments, it's good to know that I haven't been boring the pants off everybody.

It is always good to see the success stories but there are times when I haven't had any idea if my comments have helped. It is nice to see that some of the comments are from people that I don't ever remember replying to directly.

That is one reason I don't mind answering similar questions, firstly it is quicker than searching to find a previous reference and secondly a reference would most likely only help the person who asked the question.

Yes I am old and grey and although I am not an engineer I spent many years in heavy electrical industry. I have played with wind power since I was about 10 and it is good to see input from young people on this board, with the internet things are easier for them and starting young is much better when you learn quickly.

When I started we only had dynamos with brushes and commutators, the selenium rectifiers of the day were almost useless for alternators and the magnet steels were very poor.

I have always kept an open mind on early developments that most have forgotten, with new materials the problems that caused their demise can often be overcome.

The air gap alternator was one of the earliest, by Ferranti and others and now with neo magnets we can make good use of it. Industry went down the other route with iron cores and slotted teeth as it was the best way with wound fields but is easier to remember the early ideas rather than re-invent them.

When I was young I thought authors of books were gods and could not be approached so I was surprised to find that Hugh Piggott does not fit this category and is prepared to help anyone, I have learned a lot from him and if I can help others as well I am happy to do so.

I must also express my gratitude to the Dans for operating this site and making all their knowledge public and allowing us to share our knowledge here.

I am often amazed at peoples determination to make things work even though their background is obviously in very different fields.

Just one final point, the main problem with solving problems from a distance is lack of information so if I keep asking more questions it is because I need to know more to give a sensible answer.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 02:13:46 AM by Flux »

RE Pod

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 03:59:27 AM »
I must also say a big thanks to you. Flux.

Many of us are wiser for your comments here.

Regards Terry.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 03:59:27 AM by RE Pod »

steak2k1

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 09:07:14 PM »
Only been around for a cpl of mo. but I know that when Flux replies to questions that I too am looking for answers for...tis best to read the answer and then read it again...just to make sure this here electrical newb gets it.!

many thanx, and especially for being clear and concise and eminently understandable.

Your help is greatly appreciated..!!

stk

« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:07:14 PM by steak2k1 »