Author Topic: ideas and places to extract recycled goods for our building purposes  (Read 662 times)

Phil Timmons

Re: ideas and places to extract recycled goods for
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 09:40:59 AM »
Yeah, that was probably the show I watched, too -- where they came up with the 5 foot shields as the practical basis of the application.  Do you recall how far out the target was?

It is the distance to the target that causes folks to go into dispute on this part of the story from what I follow.  Whether they were on high ground over-looking a harbor (several thousand feet -- so a practical no-go) -- verses closer, like from the shore of a pond -- (within 600 feet) -- which should have worked.

On the show they only used flat polished shields (mirrors, as it were) correct?  Like we were chatting above, with a set focus distance, they might be able to reach further, as well.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 09:40:59 AM by Phil Timmons »

asheets

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »
Easier to build a laser or a rocket or a flak gun, I'd think...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:42:48 PM by asheets »

asheets

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2006, 12:43:27 PM »
I think Mythbusters labeled this one a "myth".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:43:27 PM by asheets »

cyplesma

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »
Try some chrome spray paint on a peice of plexiglass or glass.

use the glass side as the reflective side though.

in the radio controlled car/truck world the bodies are (used to be) clear plastic. you painted the inside of the body and the outside kept it's clean clear smooth glossy (clear plastic) finish.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 02:35:04 PM by cyplesma »

amgine

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
For mirrors go to a glasscutters, their dumpster will be full of NEW pieces of mirrors, maybe not large pieces but you'll certainly find strips, triangles and odd shapes.

Free wiring and connectors at any busy auto wreckers.

Look for retail shops having a Closing Down sale. When new owners take over the shop refitters never give a seconds thought to recycling, amazing what gets dumpstered.

amgine

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 03:33:33 PM by amgine »

Don Cackleberrycreations

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2006, 08:27:54 PM »
Myth busters may have  but many myths are based on historic facts.

consider the shield were likely convex or possibly even slightly concave (polising the back side of the shield. the surface would have been either yellow bronze or silver though gold is also a posiblity. Numbers and distances were often changed

10 ships might well become ten thousand over the years. its also likely that the distance was off . If infact the ships were beyond arrow range which is somewhat unlikely .

Though we should never underestimate what ancient minds could conceive or what they could do. There are many things they did which seem impossible today.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:27:54 PM by Don Cackleberrycreations »

coldspot

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 03:58:16 AM »
Mirrors-

Last summer/spring, one of our local Dollar stores,(Honks)

Had Mirrors, 8"X14" or there about, I picked up about 20, (was going to cover

one wall in my bedroom,{yes wall NOT ceiling}, but never got to it cause I spent every night at girlfriends and now live there, she said no way of course0. lol

I did use a few to line the insides of a couple computers, looks real good and makes UV lights work way better! Local glass shop happy to cut to sizes needed, at my own risk of course and they seemed happy to show off skills with glass cutter. lol

Yea some places have a pretty good group of people that do the diving thing and it can be hard to time it to get there when stuff is there. I even had a guy try to chase me off from one years ago, I just drove around the block and when I saw him unloading the good stuff out of it I got pissed enough to close the lid and hook the chain, (back then they had metal lids and now most seem to be plasic).

And yes I let him out, (I unhooked the chain after I was loaded, a friend wasn't as nice and had to beat on the sides and top with a metal pipe, my ears rang for days, I did feel very sorry for him and still haven't been back to that place, but I also am going on 21 seasons with my Toiletta pick-up, Did paint it a couple times.) lol

I have just made contact with local recycler last month, needed hubs for mills.

They are straight behind girlfriends place but train yard in between so I must drive a mile around to get there, I'm sure they will get to know me by first name and if lucky enough maybe a flag deal will get set for knowing when they have what I want, I make sure owner knows I live straight across. Time will tell. lol

Local secondhand places are great sources, missed oiut on a new ceiling fan last month was marked at $8.00, by time I searched this forum and got back there it was history.

I did pick up a treadmill last summer there for $4.00 and cause it didn't fit under shell on truck I stripped it down in there parking lot, got all electronics most metal and the 2 1/2 HP DC motor !!!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 03:58:16 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

Clifford

Re: ideas and places to extract recycled goods
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 09:29:59 AM »
Several of the US Military bases are going through major restructuring of their family housing.

At Fort Leonard Wood, MO, our project it to tear down 2000 hourse made in the 60's, and rebuild them with "new" houses.

We have gleaners that are coming in to pull out the old hot water heaters, major appliances, copper plumbing, and even some of the oak flooring.  It saves it from being shipped to the landfills...

There may be opportunities at other military bases.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:29:59 AM by Clifford »

Gagster

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
Don't be too sure about the Archimedes death ray thing.

Here's a
snopes link
to a discussion.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 06:41:34 PM by Gagster »

wiredup

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 08:12:54 PM »
the glass guys around here say drill a small piolt hole and then heat up a nail of what ever diameter matchs your use.insert into the piolt hole and heat sill the hole.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:12:54 PM by wiredup »

wiredup

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2006, 08:19:14 PM »
my first reply was to paulj coment on plexiglass
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:19:14 PM by wiredup »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
Gag;

Hmm, just how did "supposedly" confuse you? No surety was implied. The only thing I am sure of is that, regardless of what you say, on this forum someone will claim to know better sooner or later.

I have seen filmed "demonstrations" showing both results by which I mean success and failure. Never tried myself so I did not state it as fact. Hopefully thats clear.

Why am I wasting my time explaining a clear and concise statement? Just one downside of the phenomenal growth of this board I guess.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:03:00 PM by TomW »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
HAHAHAHA.  

[Phil smiles and wipes tear from eye.]

Yeah, nerds and enginerds in a "discussion."

Friday night as we were picking up tools on a fairly biggie-sized RE project, the head solar guy and I (guy doing the power stuff) were having a long-winded discussion on whether we could use the setting of the clutches on our DeWalt cordlesses in lieu of torque wrenches and whether the level of charge of the batteries would affect the results. . .

A true uber nerd topic . .  

[now watch the discussion here branch into that]

Anyway the owner's rep just stopped and starred at us decleared us hopeless.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 10:28:57 PM by Phil Timmons »

Gagster

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 03:28:03 PM »
Well the word "supposedly" is ambiguous and doesn't reflect your belief in the concept one way or the other. The second paragraph of your post goes on to describe how you think the concept could work indicating that you at least think it is possible, if not likely.  Your statement: "With sophisticated tracking and a couple acres of reflectors I think you could cook an aircraft." seems to imply at least some level of surety.

So Phil and Ghurd get into a discussion about the validity of the death ray thing on the board and that's ok, but I post a link to a similar discussion on a reputable myth busting site and I'm some kind of offensive newbie jerk?  Sheesh.  Who stole the jam out of your donut?

I've been a member of this board for a while now, and an unregistered lurker for quite a long time.  I've managed to not ask stupid questions that could easily be answered with a browse of the archives.  I've managed to not contradict the people who clearly know their stuff when they try to explain things to the newbies.  I've managed to only post technical information when I knew it was correct.  I've managed to not violate the rules of the board in any manner (except for possibly this post for which I apologize in advance) and yet you attack me for participating in an active discussion with your condescending remarks about the "growth of this board" as though I just joined today in order to perform some offense.

The board is now at something over 5000 users and the vast majority of them don't do any of the things I listed above.  Your attitude that only the established, entrenched, "old-school" members are worth having conversation with is extremely rude.  I think your post was insulting to not only me but a lot of other people who are new here and just trying to join the community and the conversation.  I think some sort of apology is in order.

If Admin deletes this post, I hope that he deletes the parent post (the one in which you attack me for my response) as well so that future readers don't see only one side of this conversation.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 03:28:03 PM by Gagster »

theTinker

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 10:02:34 AM »
lets end that scuffle before it goes any further, it does nothing but lessen the integrity of the board , as you deem this to be happening already im sure its not desired for it to be propelled.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:02:34 AM by theTinker »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:56 AM »
Hey Tinker,

Good and wise words.

This is my bad for even wandering into the world of weapons in a discussion here.

Something about that domain draws out hostilities -- go figure. :) :)

This board is very civil and polite and is a treasure in that itself.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:12:56 AM by Phil Timmons »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2006, 08:34:49 AM »
Good idea.

A slight caution on some demolition.

Contamination is not always visible nor apparant.

Asbestoes that is contained before demolition is set loose, as is lead paint, and even treated lumber often carries arsenic and chromium (one of the "C"s and the "A" in CCA treated lumber -- the other "C" is copper, giving it the green color).  All that and more can tear you and others up in ways you do not even know.

On our mirror scrounging around Dallas, we just "lost" a whole stack -- about (50) 2 x 3 foot mirrors from an apartment complez being demolished -- Asbestoes.  Personally, I would have guessed we could have washed them . . . yadda, yadda, yadda . . . but the site had tight enviromental controls -- so the all in the landfill.

Hey, btw to everyone -- thanks for all those ideas up through this thread.  The metals -- e.g. polished aluminum etc., is appealing, too.  Has anyone around here done a thread on polishing metal to a mirror surface?  Or any good links?  When I search on the internet, I get buried in homemade telescope (mirror) websites.

I used toothpaste to test polish some Alumimun equipment lable plates that we have a big stack of laying about.  How would a home-hacker professional go about mirror polishing aluminum or stainless?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:34:49 AM by Phil Timmons »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2006, 08:55:06 AM »
Phil;

Back in my Harley riding days I used "Mothers chrome Polish" to put a shine on chromed and aluminum parts. It worked very well with not too much elbow grease needed.

Was fairly common stuff then but its been awhile since I used any.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:55:06 AM by TomW »

cyplesma

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2006, 11:55:26 AM »
one word of caution about reflective surfaces.....

Make sure no one driving by can be blinded from the sun's reflection.

You might have to put some bushes by the road to prevent this, but I'd still do the re thing and worry about making sure automobile drivers don't get blinded as they drive by. if that's even an issue.

in my neighborhood there are some rules about how bright (and light's direction) lights can be so as not to blind passing drivers.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:55:26 AM by cyplesma »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »
Yeah, and the same for the guys (us) building the stuff.

Looking at the sun is bright enough, but concentrate and it is "go blind" time.

Anywhere between the mirrors and target (where the reflection is aimed) is at risk for heat injury or even bursting into flame -- for example if a bird wandered in or a tree branch got in the path.  

Beyond the focus point at the target, the reflections diverge out to "just" normal sunlight, and some point beyond (about 120 X the width of the mirror) it breaks down below that.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 09:53:55 AM by Phil Timmons »

para t8

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2006, 12:05:43 PM »
did someone say something about free blades?or did i read that roung?para t8
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:05:43 PM by para t8 »