Author Topic: What's right about this board ?  (Read 577 times)

Old F

What's right about this board ?
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »
What's right about this board  ?

Let just pull the plug an walk away

Sorry about the cheap trick to get your attention

But it seems people will complain long an loud when they think something wrong

But say very little when its going to there

liking

The list of complaint posts are as long as my arm

So lets hear what you like about this board what

keeps you coming  back ?

The things that work.

Sooner or later some hard choices will have to be made

An I would like to have this one post on the things that work so when the time comes the baby isn't thrown out with the bath water

Old F

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:40:35 AM by (unknown) »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: What's right about this board ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 06:14:45 AM »
For me it works as a valuable exchange of ideas and learning tool for new ppl. I don't see it a broke but then I don't moderate the board either.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:14:45 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:42:02 AM »
OldF,

To list all the things that are good and "right" concerning this message board would fill the servers' hard drive, and indeed has.

Aside from the obvious mass of work done by intrepid individuals on nearly every aspect of energy production, judicious application, storage, innovation and distribution there remains the personal stories of overcoming long odds and accomplishment which inspire even more such examples. The open source nature of these stories and the unselfish sharing of detailed information provides a knowledge base surpassing any "for profit" or governmental entity of which I am aware. The sheer willingness to help and patiently instruct those seeking to better understand the vast base of knowledge contained here is awe inspiring. To be a very small part of the grass roots effort to make a difference in the way the world works is something I consider a high honor and a distinct privilege.

All of this is a matter of self supporting truth.

However this message forum must internally correct issues that detract from this world treasure. The community of contributors at large, and individual responsibility, demands a proactive nature to assure a continuation of this treasure. Failure to act on the rare occasions when these detractions arise is even more detrimental than any over reaction.

As is evidenced by the recent events here we not only see that the community responds but the source of contention is resolved. Without such self correction we descend into  a chaotic state and our treasure is tarnished. This conflict resolution process is possibly the most valuable of all the jewels in the crown that is Fieldlines.

That's my take on your question and I hope I have conveyed an intelligent response as devoid of an injection of personality as possible.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:42:02 AM by RogerAS »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »
this board is the coolest thing on the Internet.
for what it does .
the way it does it.
and the people involved.
please , admin. be very cautious if you change anything.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:55:24 AM by electrondady1 »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:28 AM »
It's a great place for similarly-motivated people to exchange information and a little banter.

I have to say that one of the most immediately valuable bits of help I got from here seems almost trivial but probably saved an expensive bit of kit from destruction: the use of nylon locknuts and my toddler's water-soluble glue to stop the my MotorWind vibrating itself off my wall.

(Incidentally, I think that I can recommend MotorWind for trickle-charging applications even in relatively poor urban-wind circumstances providing that there is a decent breeze from time to time...)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:58:28 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:38 AM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:59:38 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:05 AM »
VF;

Well said.

The patience of Job and the wisdom of Solomon.

T

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:07:05 AM by TomW »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 07:40:13 AM »
As long as you bring up Flux...

First, I agree. Second, this person's user files contain only 1 diary entry and no stories and I for one am eaten up with curiosity. Flux's posts elude to how things were done in the old days...fifty years ago....before the internet...as well as projects worked on and tidbits of info on machines built.

Flux, your always ready to help others on their projects, please share with us who you are and the work you do. I'm sure it would make for great reading.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:40:13 AM by TheCasualTraveler »

fungus

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:25 AM »
'only 1 diary entry' - thats because the diaries table in fieldlines is corrupted, so they dont show .. kurt found a neat way of finding them again - link below..

http://www.fieldlines.com/?op=search&type=diary_by&section=&string=Flux&search=Searc
h

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:43:25 AM by fungus »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »
Well said Rog!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:56:47 AM by zap »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:04:53 AM »
The cold weather is getting to you guys you really need to get out more .Away from the muzzzzsick
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:04:53 AM by tecker »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:13:01 AM »
That's what I was going to say,

except I was going to Bold "the vast base of knowledge contained here is awe inspiring".

And I like 'the warm and fuzzy stuff' too.

ie: Nice to hear from Jerry, even if it is not RE related.

G-

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:13:01 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

deloiter

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:39:17 AM »
I'm a geek programmer, a techno freak and there are lots of us nowadays.  In spite of the image, lots of us care about the world and what we do to our rock.  Few of us live on a mountain off the grid.  Many of us have access to cheap power but we still care about alternate energy issues.  I have built close to a dozen wind gennies of various sizes not because I need them but because I am curious and like do-it-yourself projects and enjoy the like-minded people involved.  I might also be able to provide some insight to someone along the way.  That is why I come to this board nearly every day.  

There isn't a lot of torching going on here and though a bit gruff sometimes, the folks are supremely helpful.  We don't all have the same opinions but we all care or we wouldn't be here discussing it.  

I put up with the technical issues, because I know they can be fixed.  I enjoy the good folks who are on this board and manage this board.  A-holes can't be fixed and fortunately there are few visiting this board. I appreciate this site so much that I would be willing to help pay to keep it around.  You can't buy the knowledge that I have gained from reading the postings here.  There are other similar sites but this is the best of this type, IMHO.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:39:17 AM by deloiter »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »
Besides Flux there are many others.

Case in point,

I remember years ago, I was having a problem getting some nichrome filaments for these IR heat-lamps at work. The lamps came from Italy, so it was not possible to order replacement parts.

I submited a story here about this problem I was having. Rich H provided a link for me to a company(in the US) that makes custom ni-chrome filaments. I contacted them, they requested some information from me, I actually sent them a bulb assy. Then a week or two later the problem was solved.

I had been trying to solve this problem for about 2 years. Without Rich's help I probably would have had to buy all new fixture's that most likely would not have met our needs (at work) as well.

There are may other intances like this, here, that are [most likely]too numerious to mention.

JW

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:40:43 AM by JW »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »
I would be a fool to not agree to the above. This place is a great place and clearly "awe inspiring". I raise my glass to ALL the folks here and without all the GREAT ideas and the NOT SO GREAT ideas, this place would not be what it is. It is important to hit a "bump" in the road every once in a while as it serves an a reminder of how good this place and the people really are. By realizing what we've had, what we've have, and where we want to take it,... the sky's the limit. Let this recent "bump" serve as a reminder.

Ive said this before and Ill say it again. Im proud to be here and share what I have done. Im sure others feel the same.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:01:22 AM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
This Resource?

WOW way too hard to list, but I will say the RogerAS has my vote.

Would add Friendship as well, even through the "hard times"

The knowledge here is almost unlistfull, or would take a few people working with SETI type computers to get the list down a few 1000/pages:-)

THIS was a very good question to ask, kudos to you for asking it..

Cheers

Bruce

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:38:37 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

fungus

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »
Also the wide spread of people who can help with problems, everyone has knowledge on some things but not others, and this forum is a great place to find out about those we dont :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:49:23 AM by fungus »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »
Andy,

The last that I heard, Flux said he was trying to live a quiet life somewhere.  I think He's actually David Bowie ["Ziggy Stardust"].  :) :)

Im at least sure, that there, both from the UK.

:)

JW

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:57:09 PM by JW »

elvin1949

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
Old F

What's right about this board?

I think EVERYTHING.

In all the years i have been here i have only asked one question. That was on the old board.

I asked "What can i do with a 9.5 mph avg wind"

Back then you could not do anything.Now the window is around 7mph.[Bigger and Bigger to get the most from the least].Oh-Tom i never bought that Honda generator,bet you thought i forgot.

Anything that anybody wants to learn about alt power is here someplace.

10,000+ members  9,990+are good SMART people.

10 need to be looked after.Pretty good odd's if you ask me.

I talk to much-would rather just be here reading and learning everyday.It is an honer to be a member here.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:05:59 PM by elvin1949 »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
old F,

What's right with this board?

The people

The projects

The sharing of knowledge

The sharing of success

The sharing of failure

I check this board every morning before work, every afternoon after work, and usually before bed (for years). I love to see what people have built and are willing to share. I usually don't comment much but I feel 'involved' with the posters on the board. So much so that when I hear of a trajedy affecting someone, it bring tears to my eyes. And I have never laid eyes on anyone on this board!

I have learned enough to have running water with hot shower and flushing toilet, be able to flip on a light in the morning and turn off the light at night without going out to the barn and start/stop the generator at our remote farm. For that I am ever greatful to have found this wonderful forum.

I think that these 'flame wars' that get started usually happen when one person makes a rude comment to a post and it balloons from there. I was raised that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Silence is golden.

If someone posts something ludicrus don't jump an them. Silence is golden!

I luv's this site

Fishbonz

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:01:25 PM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

blueyonder

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
 so. whats right about this board.

well before i found this site i new less than nuthing about electrics.

but now i know more than nuthing.

i have hugh piggots book to build from. but its the forum here that helps me understand just how to get it done right.

in the past ive done it the wrong way first and right way second.

one other thing i like about the board is the flame wars.

there just so interesting.  but its all in good fun.

but if there was only one thing i could say. then its the idea of sharing

ideas that were from the users own mind.

it would be a sad world if we kept all our work secrete .

so we learn from others .its the way its been done for thousands of years.

but now we got a pc and can do it from the net in super fast time.

three cheers for the otherpower.com .    
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:35:32 PM by blueyonder »

windspeed

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
I was going to post regarding all the help I got on this board but I couldnt find the words to express.. after reading this I felt I had to put pen to paper..

" the knowledge, assistance, explanations,patience and speed of reply I think could not be found anywhere in the world.. especially in one place while relaxing in your favourite chair.

why change a winning combination

works for me even on dial up

thanks for inspiration          my completed 10 ft dual rotor  windspeed                                      

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:32:10 PM by windspeed »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »
The most valuable aspect of this site to me is...TRUTH

I can't speak for anyone else, but there have been many times in the past when I have been disappointed by a corporations claims. A certain product may actually be "useful" in a certain application, but the advertising makes rediculous claims and then the majority of consumers are left with a deep frustration and a cynical outlook.

Anyone can pull out their Visa card and order a $10,000 wind-gen/charger/inverter, especially if the ACTUAL output meets their needs, but, if someone is handy (or wants to become handy) they can get truthful information here about the components that they might purchase, or which parts of an RE system they could build themselves, to save money if so inclined.

I still consider myself a guest, but I have saved a great deal of information from here on a disc (because of its obvious value), and I have promoted this site every chance I get. I think Tom is doing a great job under difficult circumstances (anyone who deals with the public will understand!)

Nothing in life is perfect, and the most useful (and dynamic) things seem to have a slightly messy nature. If that is the price that has to be paid for this level of value, then I say, so be it!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:14:54 PM by spinningmagnets »

projectpower

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
th3e fact that everybody gets a say is good it show every body oppion matters
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:00:43 PM by projectpower »

Birdmmjb

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
Almost everythng, when I was at my lowest and felt like giving up all the guys on the board gave me encouragement to keep trying.  Some of the ideas of what to do with my problem (my husband) were priceless and though I really liked some of the ideas he has not been locked out of the house yet.

You are all great at trying to explain to me how to fix the flaws in my system in "little baby words" that my limited electronic background might be able to process.

And most of you ignore my poor typing and spelling which I dont ever think will improve.  Hard to believe that a younger me could type 60 wpm with no mistakes.

Thank you all

Jan

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:16:48 PM by Birdmmjb »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33:19 AM »
I honestly don't know why all the bad water is coming out in this forum. Maybe it's really in the water your drinking, well as everyone knows the US is going down the gurgler so the govt is drugging the mass's to try and stop da rebellion. ( just kidding). This forum IS the real RE forum on the net and for a resource such as this us diehard RE folk will never walk away. As recent threads have shown there is a heap of tension going around and in todays climate who's to blame most but not all people. How about people just get on with their RE project and post them so we all can enjoy reading about them and LEAVE THE CRAP OUT.

This forum doesn't deserve the bad rep it's getting in the last week so how about all us members just concentrate on RE things and leave the bickering out of this great forum.

My 2.2 cents

from a sad Bryan1

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:33:19 AM by ruddycrazy »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 06:43:22 AM »
This group is huge. With this comes vast and diverse knowledge and lots of outgoing and friendly folks. Technically as far as board software goes this one seems to work pretty well, every package has quirks.  I love forums, this one is fast moving to the top of my list, Current favs http://biodiesel.infopop.cc http://isuzupup.com http://4x4wire.com  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:43:22 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

finnsawyer

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 08:27:21 AM »
The bad water is probably in Washington D. C.  It makes sense doesn't it?  If you want to mess up the country just drug the Congress and the President.  What are the citizens going to do?  We can't referendum anything on the Federal level.  Some Democracy!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:27:21 AM by finnsawyer »

brianschanafelt

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »
What this board means to me is people devoting there time to help the ones that need a little guidance. This board has been more helpful than words can describe, There is a select few that will take the time to help explain something that might not be found anywhere else. You know who your are! i just want to say that i couldn't possibly thank the people of the board enough for all the help that i have had. And i am just a newbie with a huge curiosity of how things work.

I have been building a Hugh Piggott generator. and there is certain things that i could not find any where else but here. I think that to some of us this site reflects the personality of one another. and with out that, things would be a lot more difficult to understand.

plus without the board how would people express the thoughts that plague are mind!

Any way enough said, Cant thank everybody enough for the inspiring and well thought out answers

You people are everything!!!   You all ROCK!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:21:31 PM by brianschanafelt »

WineGuy

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
I'm curious. I've heard this question at least twice, but

have no idea what is WRONG with this board.

It contains HUGE amounts of "human readable" information

along with some of the most helpful people I could imagine.

I'm not a power user of search engines, so maybe that is the beef?

I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned this place is GREAT.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:16:16 AM by WineGuy »

veewee77

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:43 PM »
Hi all!

You are right, people only gripe about the things they don't like.

Well, let me tell you something!

There are windmills, cobbled solar panels, water wheels, hamster-powered nightlights, LED lighting systems, solar powered outhouses, Wind-powered cabooses, "The first dishwasher in the canyon!", FuKing generators, listeroid generators, Model A tower anchors, Bird's eye views of folk's properties by other folks perched atop their windmill towers, wind, solar and water powered computers, bikes, TV's, Tube-Type stereos, motorcycles with SUPER-DEE DOOPER Silencers on them, electric motorcycles, Volvo parts flying in the wind, (on purpose), 4 feet of snow halfway up doors of people's houses, all the while they are snug in their wind and solar powered houses, lots of food, fun and fellowship with dogs laying about, and a good mountain jam every now and again, including Washtub Bass, and projects going on all over the world by people who just love doing it, and even remembrance of those who made great strides in this, the DIY home power field, blazing the trails for others to follow by making the best AC motor conversion generators the commercial world can't even touch, as well as many other things, ideas and projects, the proper way to do the cable clamps when raising your tower so you don't let the volvo parts come crashing down (by accident), all the way from the smallest anemometer to the largest homebuilt windplant, measuring 20  FEET in diameter, the best ways TO do things and the best ways NOT TO do things based on personal, and in many cases group experience (been there, done that), and in my opinion, the gripers can just keep on griping and the rest of us will just keep on learning and enjoying this board for what it is, how it is and for as long as the admins and the owners (who provide this EXCELLENT resource to us for the low, low price of ABSOLUTELY FREE!) choose to keep it available.

So, in light of all this, and I am sure this is only a very limited and partial list, in my humble opinion, this, as it is, is absolutely the BEST resource on planet Earth for anyone who wants to delve into the wonderful world of "Sticking it to the man" by producing their own power, with devices and systems that they dreamed up, designed, asked questions about, got answers about, even if they were dumb questions, and even if they have been answered before, because, remember that there are thousands of new people on the Internet every day that don't know how to do a lot of research for answers to the question they may have, even though someone else may think they are dumb question; to that new guy, they are valid, relevant and important questions. . . anyone who wishes to change, remove or otherwise destroy this wonderful resource should take a look at themselves, when they were first starting out. I was there one day, too, just as you were.

Learning.

I'll shut up, now. . .

Leave it alone and give it a rest, will ya!

Otherpower guys, Keep this wonderful resource available! Admins, understand. . .

We all started out as a child!

JMHO - YMMV

Doug

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:03:43 PM by veewee77 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »
Nicely said, Doug!

You still need to send in your subscription payment posthaste, however.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:49:43 AM by TomW »