Author Topic: To the Admin(s)  (Read 348 times)

pvale

To the Admin(s)
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »
Guys,

I've had a hosted website for a number of years, while I don't have a page up there right now, I have the domain names and use the email as my main email. My site is hosted with;

http://www.1and1.com

I just got a email yesterday about the fact that traffic on my hosted account is now unlimited. I have a somewhat more than home package with them as Linux hosting, but they do everything from simple to complex. They are one of the consistently #1 rated hosting companies. I have checked the speeds from my hosted package to various parts of the net, and they have some very big pipes.I don't know if your server is just slow, or your hoster has speed problems. My package is only 1200GB storage, so probably wouldn't be big enough for you, but I use just a small fraction of that. I think their prices are not too bad, my package is just about $70 a year, and well worth it to have my own email that doesn't have to change every time I change ISPs.

I'd love to give you free space on my package, or help you financially, but I am now disabled with ALS, and don't expect to be here for a long time. I'm now income limited, and my desire to help financially will have to remain just that. I could get a spiff for pointing you to them, but I wouldn't do that for a site that I love. My site/server is in Kansas City KS, and I have relatively low pings to it from here in eastern Mo.

As I said, I have no site ther right now, but you can probably figure it out form my email addy.

pvale at pvale dot com.

Thank you for a great site.

Perry L. Vale

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:27:41 AM by (unknown) »

ADMIN

Re: To the Admin(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
Hi Perry -- thanks for the offer. But please read my recent reply under the "frustration" thread. The problems with hosting this board are not cost or bandwidth, but processor and database time. With so many users, the software can bog the computer.

We need new software, and someone to migrate all our content to it.

Any takers?

ADMIN
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:34:42 AM by ADMIN »

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
Hi

Contact Cray and offer them the chance of the first wind powered super computer....

My first computer back in the 80s used a KSR33 as a terminal.  You first put your input onto a paper ribon with 8 little holes in it, that went into a tape reader and you waited for the terminal to clatter into operation.

The system on here from what I have read has users from all over the world, some of those users will not have wireless broadband, so if I get the odd timeout error so be it. There can't be many boards on the internet with such a wealth of knowledge on them with people available to answer queries almost instantly, and it is all free.

You have briefly explaned the problem with the system perhaps there is a software engineer with an interest in RE that could do you a deal for a few magnets or blades etc.

Sometimes a bit slow but still the best RE site on the net so like the wind it is not always at the optimum but you know it will turn the bits that move eventually, just need a bit of patience.....

Brian

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM by tanner0441 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
ADMIN , would this person be able to do the work remotely?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:58:28 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »
If you want to take a load off your servers, allow PVALE to host your pix.

Most high traffic sites host images somewhere else.

I admin on a freeware and shareware computer help forum hosted by Yuku. Our host fees (ad free) are about $60/year. With ads it's free. The official email contact address is

freewaresharew8544 at bellsouth dot net.

http://freewareandshareware.yuku.com/ is the site. If you want to email Steve at

Banker002 at bellsouth dot net he fill you in on our migration from MSN groups when they closed down and we had to leave.

Personally I think you are doing fine so far. It's just a little slow at times.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:18:08 PM by dnix71 »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
Not me of course , i was just wondering wether or not the person you choose would have to move to colorado temporarily ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:10:06 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)