Author Topic: Sun and Wind in Austin TX?  (Read 437 times)

valterra

Sun and Wind in Austin TX?
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »
I might be moving soon to the Austin, TX area.  The solar maps show that it is about the same as where I live now (Omaha - Southeastern Nebraska).  The wind maps show up as "1," but where I live now is supposedly only "2" and it is windy as heck.  

Anyone in the area who can give me some real-life information about how well RE stuff works down there, how the local governments feel about it, etc.?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:56:06 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Sun and Wind in Austin TX?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »
It' hill country so you'll have to shop around
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:57:37 AM by tecker »

Lake Breeze

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
We've got plenty of sun to go around. That's for sure.

As far as wind, I ALWAYS have a breeze at my house and often have strong winds, so I've decided to learn about wind power also. Don't have real wnd power results to share yet.

The city owned municipalities like Austin Energy and San Antonio City Public Service "seem" to encourage RE (no experience with them), but here in the hills outside of Austin, my electric provider, Pedernales Electric CO-OP, makes it difficult to connect without some serious expense.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:39:03 AM by Lake Breeze »

Electron Pump

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »
  Well, I live in San Angelo and we sure had some good days the last coupple monts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:47:12 AM by Electron Pump »

Tritium

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »
Power company down there very friendly to RE particularly Grid Tied Solar. Some very healthy rebates available. Also very friendly to rainwater catchment systems.

Thurmond

338 miles northwest of Austin but still in Texas

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:45:10 PM by Tritium »

valterra

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone for the comments!  

Sure sounds like an interesting place, that's for sure.  The RE stuff will definitely  be a factor in our decision.

For solar, it shows the same as Omaha, but I figured it would be more sunny.  Our winters have plenty of sunny days, but there are just as many overcast days with no sun or wind.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:50:00 AM by valterra »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
The trees as a whole grow out and not tall . There's a lota scrub cedar If you top a hill you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:55:14 PM by tecker »

Danthecook

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »
1. Pedernales Electric Coop has a site with download  contracts and a general PDF on their particular approach to Renewable Energy.  http://www.pec.coop

search for  "interconnection." (Interconnection Backup) and you will find an Interconnection Policy and a contract.   I am guessing this may be a standardized one across various communities.  Since I am not a member yet they were most interested in discussing the 125$ or so set up charges due to get on the grid.  Standard fees are listed.  RE would drop your standard fee (just for billing costs no electricity) about 15% over regular fees.  They will pay for your power at a standard fuel cost fee.  

1. Texas Agricultural Extension Service has a wind map but its not nearly detailed enough for home use.  Great if you are planning on where to put a major wind farm.
  2. My house is atop a 1200 foot hill with south exposure on one side and a slope from 900 feet up to the house, no trees on the slope.  It lost its roof to a "straightline wind" 3 years ago.  I am trying to decide what kind of anerometer with logging I can put up to appraise the situation.
  3. I will be in town starting on the 27th of Feb and will share details if might have on the whole issue.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:00:56 PM by Danthecook »

Danthecook

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »
you may be 338 miles south of Austin, am just outside of Bagdad TX.  Its called Leander and I am very interested in Rainwater harvesting as the local water coop is full up and not taking any new comers.  Would like to talk about harvesting and water towers ( maybe wind power is the way to fill that water tower from the runoff)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:04:58 PM by Danthecook »

valterra

Thanks!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Thanks for the information!

I know nothing about which power company serves where.  In Texas, you get to choose your utility is what I've heard.  Does that mean I don't have to necessarily worry if, say, Pendernales Coop covers my particular area?

I will be working for Cap Metro in North Austin.  My wife's been looking at places to rent in Round Rock and Leander while we figure out where the "best" areas are for us.  The schools there seem to have good ratings.

My first day on the job there is March 09.  I'll probably be online more at that time, asking more specific questions.  If anyone wants to email me personally so I can bother them with a question or twenty, please write me at:   jon.valterra   @  gmail.com

THANKS AGAIN!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:04:42 AM by valterra »